View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On the spot with Gregory Wilson worth the price? see here!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:11 pm 
Penguin

Ok first of if your a beginner in anything but cards this might be a little bit challenging for you. I was a beginner at coins but i learned the sleights quickly because i have a habit of proacticing sleights in class or on road trips but for some other magicians it could be difficult. Any ways On the spot is strictly impromptu magic that can mostley be done with borrowed items. On the other hand there are some tricks that cant be borrowed but can be done with everyday objects EX. coins.
Ok now on with the tricks

First on the DVD is

3/4 across: this trick is one of the most difficult ones to master on the dvd but the second i saw it i fell in love with it so this was the first trick i learned from the dvd. The effect is three coins travel from one hand to another 1 at a time and the hand they travel to can be shown empty
i rate this trick a 9.5/10
p.s. one part of the sleight he doesnt go into much detail on so its up to you to figure out

second is

ring fright: this is a fun trick to perform. the effect is. you borrow a ring from your spectator, place it on your middle finger, and you slam your hand on the other hand and it miraculusly jumps to your index finger
then you throw the ring (they hear it hit the ground) but you show it still on your finger. then the third phase is you toss the ring up and catch it on your finger then you do it again and hand it to them.
i give this an 8/10 because its a little ease to get caught on this if you dont have it perfected

third is

questionable trick: this trick is one of the most simple but most powerful if dont right you will be suprized at the reactions you get. the effect is you have a dime and a penny then they pull one out and place it on the back of their hand you give it a little rub and Bam! they have switched places
this trick has easy sleight but should be practiced down to the facial expressions for a really good reaction over all this is a 10/10

the fourth is

florida keys: i personally like this trick but some of you may not because its not impromptu and cant be borrowed which kinda sux but on the other hand the effect is. a linking rings routine with your keys. thats all i really have to say about this other than its not that great of a trick unless you can learn to be a good showman like greg
over all i give the trick itself an 8/10 (becuase it cant be borrowed)
i give the teaching a 4/10 (he doesnt go into much detail on how to perform it)

5th on the dvd is

quick silver:all i can say is great great great this trick is amazing and gets great reactions. althought this is another trick that really cant be borrowed youll know what i mean if you have the dvd but anyways the effect is. you place a quarter in the spectators hands and it dissappears and reappears in your eye socket like a monicle then you make it dissapear and reappear on their shoulder then last but not least it reappears under their watch this is really a great trick and he goes into alot of detail explaining it i give this effect a 10/10

sixth is

glossy finish: great trick and its just old criss angel revealed it on tv thats the only down side to it but if you dont know the effect what happens is you rub a little bit of lipstick on the back of the spectators hand and it penetrates throught their fist once you rub it in i think this effect is pretty powerful but i dont use it much i give it a 7/10

7th is

head trip:its just the napkin over head routine but after watching this dvd i realized how powerful this really is one day a kid asked me to if i knew any tricks with a watch and i said sure and performed this and trew it over his head to my freind then i pulled the watch from behind his ear over all i like this trick so i give it a 9/10

8th on the dvd is

sponge napkins:all this is is a sponge ball routine with napkins which is kinda cool theres not much to say bout this one but i give it an 8/10

9th is

Toll free: this goes into alot more detail on a sleight that you needed to know more about earlier which you needed for florida keys and this really is a great trick the effect is you get a quarter place it in your pocket and another one appears in your other hand you do this again and show your hand empty and it jumps back the third time you leave your hand in your pocket and still another one appears then you do it one more time but this time you say sometimes the coin doesnt fit and its a silver dollar greg also does this and says watch, watch, WATCH, and opens his hand to reveal a "watch" this is a really creative trick that i am going to perform soon i give this a 10/10

the tenth trick is

99 cent trick: this is a fun little trick i use if i have a handfull of change on me you put a handfull of change in the spectators hand you pick up a quarter and make it dissapear then you do it again make it dissapear and show you rhands empty then you do it 1 more time make it dissapear then the last time it would be 4 quarters which is a dollar you make it dissapear and say this is the 99 cent trick and show a penny in your hand
thsi is a fun trick that is basicly impromptu so i give it a 9/10

11th trick is

playful pickpocketing: greg teaches how to steal sunglasses pens and all sorts of stuff but the down side is its not like acual pickpocketing where you just walk up and poof yoiu have their wallet but he also teaches how to be a putpocket which is placing things in their pocket and making them look like a theif which is pretty funny so i give this trick an 8/10

12th

ticker taker: a simple and easy watch steal greg teaches about 3 ways to do this. i havent practiced it much but it still is pretty simple and he teaches you a few things to say if you get caught.

last trick on the dvd is the best
RECAP REVISITED: amazing enough said its so fun to go into a 5 phase routine using A BORROWED PEN!!! first you make the cap dissapear and reappear on the other sid of the pen then you make it dissapear and reappear behind your knee then you hold the cap and say watch you tap it with OMG! where did the pen go and you show it went behind your ear the n you say what you should have been watching was the cap then you show that the cap is in your ear but OMG! the pen has dissapeared now and you pull it out of the cap this trick gets a perfect 10/10 the only downside is greg doesnt go into much detail on the all around vanish

that concludes my review on On the Spot overall i give this dvd a 9/10 it only lost a pint becuase some of the teaching wasnt that great and some of the stuff cant be borrowed but this is definately worth the money infact almost double the money all i can say is BUY NOW if you want hard hitting tricks that you can do anytime anywhere

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=466

Last edited by dsingle on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:45 pm 
born to perform.

Great, semi review. I do agree with you on a lot of what you have written. I don't know what part of 3/4 across that you are talking about (maby the pinch, I don't know,) that didn't go into detail about but I got it down after about a month of work and its one that I perform on a daily basis. I actually performed this last night to a nice responce. Anywhoo, Questionable Trick is great and Recapped is fantastic. I am not a huge fan of Ring Fright, but i think its up to the actual magician to decide if it is good for them. I am glad its on there.

Regardless, the DVD is a little pricey but its loaded with great material. I highly recommend this DVD to anybody willing to put in the time for great impromptu magic. Wilson is great, as always, and the material is stellar. You might think that some of the tricks aren't as powerful as others but the entire point is that its impromptu and its mainly done with props from a spectators pocket. And as we all know that anything that you can borrow and perform magic with is automatically 100% more powerful than anything you pull out of your own pocket.

I would like to hear the rest of your review. Please put it up when you get a chance.

Thanks again, and peace.

-Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:56 pm 
born to perform.

I really like this DVD.
Recapped, questionable trick I use quite a bit.
Aside from the routines the dvd is also a good lesson in misdirection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

That was a great review, and helped me make the decision to buy this DVD as soon as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 pm 
Penguin

This i like :) it is accually the best dvd i ever bought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:06 pm 
born to perform.

its a good dvd liked it =D

nice review by thte way.

-MagicTay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:51 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Burleson , Texas , stop buying every new trick and Read some bloody books
its a good dvd , it was one of my first dvds, nice review

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:22 am 
born to perform.

It's a genuinely good DVD. There's lots of material. It's well produced. It's got a dumb girl in it with BIG fake boobies and a tiny dress. The explanations are thorough.

What more could you want from a magic DVD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:45 am 
born to perform.

Monkey_says_oohoohah wrote:
It's a genuinely good DVD. There's lots of material. It's well produced. It's got a dumb girl in it with BIG fake boobies and a tiny dress. The explanations are thorough.

What more could you want from a magic DVD?

LOL!!!