View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Out of curiosity?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:23 am 
born to perform.

How many people actually set up boxes or tables to do Street Magic? Do you guys actually go up to strangers and say let me show you something as they run from work to the subway? Just Curious......my only version of Street or Strolling magic is in bars or for friends at their houses.

Post subject: Re: Out of curiosity?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:39 am 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
I use a floating bill routine to get peoples attention. 1 or 2 people always come up to me. Then i show them a few tricks and leave. I think all good street magic is in the hands.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:43 am 
born to perform.

True......"IT" was one of the first things I bought but I rarely use anymore because I manage to always "ruin" the set up. Through out the course of a night...I could last about an hour before i get caught on something or tangled up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:48 am 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
Thats why i always use that sort of thing first. Its the most visual but requires set up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:46 pm 
born to perform.

During the summer i work outside this little trick shop at this little outside strip mall and i have a table set up and just do tricks for anyone who stops...but when i go out because i feel like havin some fun a messin with peoples heads...lol...i just walk around and ask them if they want to see somethin or i go sit on a bench and mess with some cards or levitate something between my hands till i find someone interested then i ask them if they want to see something else...then off comes my hat and they know what to do..lol...collin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:26 pm 

If I am near a crowd that I want to perform for, sometimes I'll use a finger flasher. If I have a buddy with me, I'll pretend that I'm doing a trick for him and then yell out "HEY, LOOK OVER HERE!!" Then I'll set off some flash paper. If that doesn't get their attention, they need CPR.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:36 pm 

For those of you who keep breaking the gimmick for the floating bill, I'll let you in on a set up that will be available to you whenever and wherever you want. Take a matchbook from a local restaruant or bar (for goodness sake, please don't go out and have your magic name embossed on the matchbooks!! - They should look as normal as possible). Leave the outer column of matches on either side, but rip out all of the matches in the middle of the matchbook. This makes the match book angle proof and keeps it functional in case anyone needs a light. Insert a small pin hole in the centre spine of the match book. Take a small safety pin and tape it to the inside of the match book where the inner matches used to be. Cut a small piece of straw and insert it through the safety pin. Then close off the safety pin. Insert the secret gimmick through the hole and tape it onto the straw. Place a wad of tape on the other end of the gimmck. Wind up the straw until you are ready to use it. I will usually have about 5 or 6 of these in my pocket at any time. When I'm done with it, I just shove the match book back in my pocket. If it breaks, I just use another matchbook and then reload the works when I get home. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:49 am 
Penguin

When I do street magic, say at the park or something, the first thing I do is pull out my linking rings and begin doing my routine in a loud voice, something like Behold!!! (talking like that will really get people's attention), I make jokes about the way I'm taking and focus the trick on one particular person, if you make eye contact they'll most likely stop, once you have them switch eye contact from the person that stopped to another walking, back and forth, and just do that over and over untl you have a few around you, then you can focus on that group and more will come in curiosity, the key is to talk loud and have something that looks flashy, it doesn't have to be all firey and sparkley, but something that might get someone to say, hmmm, what's that guy doing?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:52 am 
Penguin

Oh, and 2 other things. I don't use boxes or tables, they prevent me frm having the proper mobility, I just carry a bag and I"m good to go. Also, if your IT keeps breaking, maybe it's time to invest in an ITR? they work waaaay better and by the way the R stands for reel if any of you are confused.