View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The pass
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:34 pm 
Penguin

I'm a newbie magician. I'm reading books (now Royal Road...) and I've just reach the pass. How long did it take you to master it ? I'm practicing hard, I just want to know :-)

Post subject: Re: The pass
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:43 pm 

That depends - There are several ways to do the pass and the time it takes will vary depending on your dexterity and the size of your hands. You don't need monster hands to do the pass, but you have to realize that most of these moves are designed for adult hands. For me, it took about 10 minutes to learn the basics and then about another day to make it look absolutely smooth and natural. Having said that, though, there are very few tricks where you will actually need to perform a pass. As you are a self professed newbie, be careful not to become obsessed with sleight of hand for the sake of sleight of hand. There must be some purpose to it, otherwise you are wasting your time. Remember, you are an ENTERTAINER first and a magician second.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:28 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
im 13 and i mastered it in about a week, but still practcing to make it look absolutly perfect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:43 pm 
born to perform.

im 14 but it took me about a day to learn it but about a week to make it run smoothly...but i have big hands so it a little easier...collin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:44 pm 
Penguin

I've got to back up magicman on this one. Michael Ammar wrote that using the pass to move a card to the top or bottom is like using a slegehammer to hang a picture. Too much power. Why move all 52 cards to reposition 1? The pass itself is somewhat outdated in my opinion. And he's also right about having a purpose for it. I'll also add that the only effective passes are used with good misdirection. The move is far from invisible (no matter how good you are at it) and I don't see much need for it in most of today's magic. It took me a couple of hours to get the move working, but I've never bothered to perfect it as I have no need for it. Listen to magicman on this one and don't learn the move just to learn it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:06 pm 

I recommend the one handed pass. I use it everywhere. However the pass can be made invisible. People are looking at my hands when I perform it. Learn how to do the pass right, buy the Ninja video from ellusionist. My ambitious goes as follows: Pass > DL > Face up Pass > One handed pass to the top > One handed pass to the mouth. WORK WORK WORK.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:12 am 
Penguin

[...]be careful not to become obsessed with sleight of hand for the sake of sleight of hand[...] Many people has recommend me the same, and this is the most valuable advice I think I've received: I read slow, and practice without running. About the hands, I'm still a bit sad about them :-( I'm 27, but my hands are little. I've made many tricks with HTE PALM to my friends, for practice, and they have not discevered me, so I hope I can perform the pass without being seen too. Thanks agan for your advice!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:19 am 
Penguin

<i>Too much power. Why move all 52 cards to reposition 1? The pass itself is somewhat outdated in my opinion.</i> This opinion got me impressed. I thought, as a newbie, that the pass was a very elemental and fundamental thing to learn in card magic! I'd like to hear more comments about this. Thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:34 pm 

Elemental? Yes. Fundamental? Absolutely. These comments are coming from someone whose practiced the pass for a couple of days. I didnt show the pass until a month after learning it, and that had nothing to do with skill. But after that month, it was invisible. I mean that. Invisible. People do not see it. They stare at my hands, and its done without them ever knowing it happened. If you blink, my pass is done before your eyes open again. Give it a month. Use your other tricks for now. Be patient. In a month, youll rip through the pass like second nature.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:23 pm 
Penguin

where can I learn the Pass at??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:36 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
The pass is an AMAZING move. If you let the spectator stick a signed card in the middle of a deck and give it a shuffle. Then show it on top, they know that somehow you did it when you shuffled. When you do a good pass there is no explanation. They saw it in the cent, they saw you riffle half the deck of top of the card, but somehow its on top. The pass isn't invisible to us, but to the spectators mind it is. If they see a flash they just think its the messed up cards. Trust me, I've seen pass's that look invisble.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:10 pm 
Penguin

The classic invisible pass, which isn't invisible is a move I've been doing for maybe 5 years now. There's no way anyone has "mastered" it in a week or two simply because that's impossible. Maybe someone can pull it off on spectators in a week or two but it takes months to master, whether you're a great cardician or a lousy one. You can learn it in the book "Now you see it, Now you don't".