View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:45 pm 

ragus wrote:
rockman wrote:
ive been on it for 2 years but nothing has happened

just today I did the STS and some lady gave me a dollar

She probably thought you were just a poor kid having a seizure, with all the leg shaking going on.

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:58 pm 
born to perform.

balducci wrote:
ragus wrote:
rockman wrote:

She probably thought you were just a poor kid having a seizure, with all the leg shaking going on.

:-)

You missed the sarcasm tags. I would not reccommend you bbusking or working in restaurants with a months experience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:05 pm 
Emperor Penguin

honestly, what trick could you have learned in a month and a half that you could show someone and expect to get paid for it?.......nickles to dimes, lol. try practicing for the next 2 or 3 years before even thinking about getting paid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:27 am 
born to perform.

Penguin sometimes scares me with all the newcomers coming asking immediately how they can get paid with less than a year of experience...I'm not ragging on this topic creator but just speaking generally to the whole penguin community.

I've been into this art "seriously" for a little over 5 years now...and I am JUST STARTING to consider the idea of getting paid...There is no doubt in my mind that you are NOT ready to perform professionally by any means. Of course, you may have an act that impresses your friends and family...but this in NO WAY constitutes looking for a job with magic. It takes experience to know how to approach spectators, deal with hecklers, entertain all different ages...and the list goes on.

Please don't take offense to this post, but I think looking for a way to get paid is something of the future...for now focus on performing for fun...get that experience you need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:03 am 
born to perform.

I've been doing magic for 5 years and haven;t seeked to earn much money. The reactions of people are priceless. If i wanted to earn money i would spend the time studying law. Money will come if you love magic enough. Not the other way around

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:53 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
ragus wrote:
rockman wrote:

some lady wrote:
here sonny, take this dollar and get the edited out of my way. you bother me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:48 pm 
Penguin

Yea, get a few months more or a year of experience. Then start at kid's shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:25 pm 
Penguin

ok i have been doing magic for about a year. i would always do my tricks at work (kennywood) for my co-workers and bosses and as it turns out they are really impressed with me and are giving me a job as a magician walking around the park...i'm just saying if you are lucky you might just get a good break like me and find a job, so just go out and do your magic for random people and you might just get lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:37 am 

spikeboy329 wrote:
ok I have been doing magic for about a year. I would always do my tricks at work (kennywood) for my co-workers and bosses and as it turns out they are really impressed with me and are giving me a job as a magician walking around the park...I'm just saying if you are lucky you might just get a good break like me and find a job, so just go out and do your magic for random people and you might just get lucky.

Are you being paid your regular rate or are they paying you more as a performer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 pm 
Penguin

i am getting payed more as a performer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:12 am 
born to perform.

Hey, I really need some advice!

I was thinking about purchasing some magic in about a year from now, let it sit in a drawer for another year, get interested again and then start practicing just once in a while. How much money do you think I could rake in right NOW?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:54 am 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
Hey, I really need some advice!

I was thinking about purchasing some magic in about a year from now, let it sit in a drawer for another year, get interested again and then start practicing just once in a while. How much money do you think I could rake in right NOW?

umm was it just me or did that post make no sense lol.

-nubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:28 am 
Penguin

I do for fun, family, work colleagues etc. I did a few simple things at my daughter's kindergarten, and now they want me to do a show for their fund raising night! But doing it to get paid? No interest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:36 am 
born to perform.

dont do kids shows for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:23 pm 

rower23 wrote:
I do for fun, family, work colleagues etc. I did a few simple things at my daughter's kindergarten, and now they want me to do a show for their fund raising night! But doing it to get paid? No interest

Then don't do the fundraiser. Allow a real magician to get the job. There are several reasons I say this but by doing it for free they then expect all magicians to work for free. You don't get a singer to give a freebie, nor a doctor, lawyer, or a tax accountant. So why should some a$$hole give away a magic act.

Remember that anything that's free is worth exactly what's paid for it, Nothing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next