View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:27 pm 
Penguin

Ive been doing magic since i was 8 im now almost 16, if u want to make money doing magic than hand out business cards for birthday parties or business meetings or anything else, but i never have made money from complete strangers. My biggest night is on halloween, Everyone knows the phrase "Trick or Treat" for me its " Trick and more Treat." You can also meet alot of people doing street magic and that is what is important companionship, and Friendship. Not always Tips or Money that will come later in your life.

Post subject: How to make alot of $$$ doing street magic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:37 pm 
Penguin

So simple, doin magic for a year and something. Go outside on a busy street sit against a wall maybe with a table(You need lisence for that) and just put out a pad and do coin matrix re-minted, have a tip jar with some cool magic design on it. Write on it "No Tips Required-Enjoy" Makes them feel like they gotta give you a tip. 1 day you will make up to 30 bucks pretty cool, now if you want to make some real money do kids partys maybe family members or friends- (Or just put up posters saying you are and experienced magician looking for a party to perform at- Leave a number....exc.)

Post subject: How to make alot of $$$ doing street magic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:39 pm 
Penguin

So simple, doin magic for a year and something. Go outside on a busy street sit against a wall maybe with a table(You need lisence for that) and just put out a pad and do coin matrix re-minted, have a tip jar with some cool magic design on it. Write on it "No Tips Required-Enjoy" Makes them feel like they gotta give you a tip. 1 day you will make up to 30 bucks pretty cool, now if you want to make some real money do kids partys maybe family members or friends- (Or just put up posters saying you are and experienced magician looking for a party to perform at- Leave a number....exc.)

Post subject: Re: How to make alot of $$$ doing street magic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:47 pm 
Penguin

EBmagic wrote:

Well you posted this twice but I will only respond once. To handle the errors serialatum:
Quote:
Go outside on a busy street sit against a wall maybe with a table(You need lisence for that)
That may or may not be correct. The jurisdiction that you are in will have regulations and laws determining that. Some places may not allow busking at all, NONE will give you a "lisence," however, some may require a "licence."

Quote:
just put out a pad and do coin matrix re-minted, have a tip jar with some cool magic design on it. Write on it "No Tips Required-Enjoy"
NO! NO! And NO! Magic is crap on the streets. If you want to make any tips at all you have to ENTERTAIN the passersby. Just having a "tip jar" out will get you bupkis, you have to use hat lines that are funny and tell the people that you expect tips. Also a sign saying "no tips required" will get you exactly that, NO TIPS.

Quote:
1 day you will make up to 30 bucks pretty cool, now if you want to make some real money do kids partys maybe family members or friends-
Oh hooray, he said sarcastically. When I work the streets I make, (on a VERY BAD day) between $30 to 40 an HOUR. Most days I get between $75 to 150 per hour. My usual thing is to decide what I want to make that day, the amount depends on the day, weather etc., but is between $500 to $1000. When I make that much I quit. Some days I work for 3 hours and some longer, the most I have worked on the street is 6 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:57 pm 
Penguin

I made 4 bucks the other day with the humming bird card. It was realy cool. I did it then acouple of guys were like "Woah...Do that again" And I said "Gimme a dollar and I will." I was actualy surprised when they paid me. A good idea is to put a hat on the ground with a sign that says "Please write all complaints about my performance on the back of a 20$ bill."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:15 pm 
born to perform.

Call local restaurants and ask if they have ever considered hiring a magician as entertainment.

Try to get them to give you an audition, don't try to get them to hire you over the phone (because they won't).

If you have an audition, perform really really well.

If they still seem sceptical, offer to do a night for free (tips only, so you already get some cash).

Hand out business cards after performing at each table.

Hopefully you will get some calls and make more money.

I focus more on my illusion design, but I still perform regularly to keep myself sharp. I have a restaurant residence, from which I have met almost all of my clients (or my audiences there have suggested me to my show clients).

The restaurant itself doesn't pay me ( except free drinks while I work), but they let me do whatever I want (I can experiment). I suggest you find a place like this first. This can help you get your restaurant magic on the level needed to perform professionally. If you are already good, it will make you better.

Working for tips in the beginning puts the pressure on. For a regular gig, you just get your check; but when it's tips, you better earn them. This helps you work out your presentation. I didn't get a tip there, what did I do wrong? I got a tip here, what did I do right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:48 pm 
Penguin

Hey...a dollar is great ! You just have to go out there, it'll come.
I used the Cellini dvd and just loved playing some chapters over and over...I think its his Grapelli and ragtime music that does that.

But what I did was think (1) OK how can I draw people. (2) How can I impose payment politely but strongly.

WELL, I just happen to live with a dude named Dakota the Wonder Dog. He is a border collie who does magic. I wear a black and white cowmaflage lab coat and a huge Dr. Suess hat and I begin the show with putting Dakota on a towel with the work "Spot" on it and putting oversized sunglasses on the Wonder Dog. Also, make noise...a whistle or harmonica is good ! Also Dakota will watch card fans and sleight of hand ALL DAY and catch cards.

We do sleeve bouquet, linking rings, Houdini Outstripped/20th Century Cowkerchiefs, Cut and Rest Rope, a dog mind reading code act, and the Snif a Card/Bite Change (to cover a few).

We close the act with Dakota passing the hat (poorly most of the time but who can turn down a dog and that get's 'em started ?)

We don't make that much so far but its about 4X minimum wage !!

My clown buddy states he made $1100 in a day across the River blowing up balloons. Who knows...you just keep trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:53 pm 
born to perform.

playerx4 wrote:
ohhhh, a doller 8)

I was darn proud of the first dollar I earned, hush until you realize how much effort it takes to entertain people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:02 am 
born to perform.

drsentell

That's not bad. I don't know where you are so I don't know how much that is.

One good way to encourage payment with out saying it, is to have a tip jat (tip-bucket). When I started doing street magic for money (That's how I met the restaurant guy), I went to a local mall, set-up my little table with equipment box, placed my tip bucket next to it, and just started performing.

My table had a flat top, on which I placed business cards, comment cards, pens, and my "Why Me, Why Magic" brochure. You can make all those things at home.

The tip bucket was a regular bucket that you can buy at home depot for $5; however, I painted it black, added a white stripe, gave it a wooden lid/brim, and it became a magic hat. On the brim (facing up) I printed "Tips and Comments". When people look down, thinking "What's with the hat?", they see "Tips and Comments". Put Tips first to catch their attention. This also gives the subconsious suggestion that this hat was really meant for Tips and that Comments are an afterthought.

You can also print your name and contact info on the outer sides of the hat. This will get people to remember you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:43 pm 
born to perform.

its simple...for money....dont do street magic...busk or get a job in a restraunt or kids parties :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:58 pm 
born to perform.

Guardian452 wrote:
its simple...for money....dont do street magic...busk or get a job in a restraunt or kids parties :roll:

He's asking how to get a job in a restaurant, how to get money busking, or how to get hired for kid parties.

If you don't listen to me; listen to Peter1. He knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:52 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a white room, With black curtains, At the Station
When you think about it, there isnt alot of money in street magic, so I would suggest doing table hopping instead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:05 am 
Penguin

Cigam_Eno wrote:
When you think about it, there isnt alot of money in street magic, so I would suggest doing table hopping instead

Thank you for saying that. Now more people will avoid doing busking. I know that I really hate it when I make only US$50 to 100 per hour when I can spend the same amount of time making 30 to 40 an hour by table hopping.

There isn't much money in busking if you have a crappy show. If, however, you effects are good and your routine is well thought out, you can live VERY WELL doing street shows.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:22 am 
Penguin

besides that all you need money for is to eat - drive - get your clothes washed. if your on the road you don't need much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:34 am 
born to perform.

Peter1 wrote:
Cigam_Eno wrote:

Thank you for saying that. Now more people will avoid doing busking. I know that I really hate it when I make only US$50 to 100 per hour when I can spend the same amount of time making 30 to 40 an hour by table hopping.

There isn't much money in busking if you have a crappy show. If, however, you effects are good and your routine is well thought out, you can live VERY WELL doing street shows.

Peter

An excellent point Peter. Your venue is irrelevant. If you're booked at the Ritz and your show sucks you aren't coming back. If you're playing on the streets and your show is great, you can make some real money.

I must admit, I never made the numbers that Peter is describing. My street performances (tip based only, not counting Magic Marketting) usually only got me around $35-$40per hour. Providing I had a good foot-traffic area. My restaurant performances get me alot more, but that's probably because my restaurant work is more polished than my street performance.

In reality, all you need to do is try. Try enough times and you will eventually get it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next