View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: For Street Mgicians....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:26 pm 
Penguin

Just a question(big questions) when performing magic to ppl...

Do you set/schedule a day mostly performing out side or you just walk around and if you find some interesting ppl you show them some magic? I mean.. for example do you perform in the train/subway while going to work? Because it'so hard for me to pick the "rite" time to actually ask ppl to show magic.

What do you ask when you wanna perform to ppl??? I'm having a hard time starting doing magic to ppl cause everytime I ask.... "You guys wanna see a magic trick?" or "You wanna see some card tricks?" most of them will say NO. How do you appraoch people in the street? And an old guy thought i was some bad... person whos jsut joking around or trying to kidnap somebody. Someone actually kinda threatened me in the city for jsut asking ppl for me to show magic...

Please answer.... please.....
and maybe tell meow you would start ur magical day doing magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:47 pm 
born to perform.

If i have a deck of cards or some money or whatever kind of magic you do, and you have the gimmick in your pocket,(could be impromtu too)i just do it like in the park, mall,and school if people are there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:38 pm 
Emperor Penguin

When I do magic for random people, I either let them come to me (for instance, I will do the hummingbird card, or some XCM, and it attracts a little crowd. Then from there, I do a short routine).

If you watch David Blaine, even though I hate his presentational style, he does have a great way to get into the effect. He does have a very good way to get someone interested in watching your magic.

I would also say never approach someone and ask them if they want to see any type of trick. I think it ruins the whole expeirence, because you then leave the spectator wanting to try to find out the method to the trick.

You can also go up to someone and ask to borrow a prop. If you do coin or paper money, it's a great way to get into a routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:55 am 
Penguin

Quote:
falling: If you watch David Blaine, even though I hate his presentational style, he does have a great way to get into the effect. He does have a very good way to get someone interested in watching your magic.

Yes. A very good way.

He's got a camera crew and a producer walks up to people and arranges them to be on the show. "Here sign the video release please."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:19 pm 
Penguin

Back to the main question...

Quote:
How do you appraoch people in the street?

I don't.

I set up and call out to them. They approach me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:03 pm 
born to perform.

When you approach someone, you should ask them "Can I show you something?" and go along and perform your trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:19 pm 
Penguin

Dude13311 wrote:
When you approach someone, you should ask them "Can I show you something?" and go along and perform your trick.

Sure. This works. Like a turd in a punch bowl. Isn't this a question that streakers and flashers ask?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:29 pm 
Emperor Penguin

RobertBloor wrote:
Dude13311 wrote:

Sure. This works. Like a turd in a punch bowl. Isn't this a question that streakers and flashers ask?

Instead of being so negative, why don't you try to help a little? And instead of cutting down everyone's ideas, and methods that work for them, add something positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:54 pm 
Penguin

go in the street and just have a deck of cards in your hand then walk down the street and sometimes people say oh look hes a magician and they walk away so u go up to them and be like wanna se something then sometimes they say no or yea but dont worry when they say no just be like ok thanks for your time anyways or you can just ask poeple if they want to see some magic but dont just reach in your pockit so quick to get your deck just say want to see some magic (them) yea what you got (you) heres a deck of cards then pull you cards out people get scared when you just go in your pocket and pull something out well hoped i helped :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:31 am 

fallingblood wrote:
RobertBloor wrote:
Dude13311 wrote:

Instead of being so negative, why don't you try to help a little? And instead of cutting down everyone's ideas, and methods that work for them, add something positive.

Robert did help. read his first post. Robert makes his living as a busker doing magic all over the country. He has several DVDs that can teach if you're smart enough to follow what he says.

BTW he is right on with his comment that flashers use that phrase before they open their coats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:42 am 
born to perform.

RobertBloor wrote:

Quote:

I don't.

course they do. of course.

why not try to sound arrogant and actually help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:14 am 

jameshp wrote:
RobertBloor wrote:

Quote:

I don't.

course they do. of course.

why not try to sound arrogant and actually help

James, it is obvious you have never SEEN a busker. Go someplace where there are performers doing street shows and watch. Robert, myself, Wayno, and several others make our living as performers. I do kids shows, some corporate stuff, (not much of that) and busking. I buy a new auto every other year because I will put 60,000 to 75,000 miles per year on a vehicle.

Robert does even more than I do as a busker. Yes he DOES know what he is talking about. When you walk up to people and say something stupid like "want to see a magic trick?" or "want to see something?" You look like, and are, a weirdo and will be treated as one. When you set up your table and start to draw a tip and use hat lines you look like a true performer and get treated as one. Which do you want to be? We all know which one you are so don't you want to change for the better

Post subject: Re: For Street Mgicians....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:54 am 

RapMagic wrote:
Just a question(big questions) when performing magic to ppl...

Do you set/schedule a day mostly performing out side or you just walk around and if you find some interesting ppl you show them some magic? I mean.. for example do you perform in the train/subway while going to work? Because it'so hard for me to pick the "rite" time to actually ask ppl to show magic.

What do you ask when you wanna perform to ppl??? I'm having a hard time starting doing magic to ppl cause everytime I ask.... "You guys wanna see a magic trick?" or "You wanna see some card tricks?" most of them will say NO. How do you appraoch people in the street? And an old guy thought I was some bad... person whos jsut joking around or trying to kidnap somebody. Someone actually kinda threatened me in the city for jsut asking ppl for me to show magic...

Please answer.... please.....
and maybe tell meow you would start ur magical day doing magic.

This is a quote from Shawn Levan, a street performer who sells a book on performing. This will tell you everything you need to know about street work.

PAY ATTENTION

We are going to be talking about the basics that make up a typical performance.

1. Setting the stage - This is where the performer creates the stage before he starts the show. Create a stage in an interesting manner and people will automatically stop to watch you.

2. Gathering a crowd - In my opinion, this is the most difficult part of any show. You have to stop total strangers in their tracks and get them to watch your show. Only by doing something interesting or unique can you get people to stop and watch you in action. In my book, 'Street Performer', I go into this in much greater detail.

3. Holding the crowd - Getting a crowd is not the end of your job. You need to keep them curious and interested in your show so that they hang around till the last minute when you pass your hat around.

4. Performing your show - This is the part where you actually go into your show and make sure that each trick you do is better than your last. You want your show to be exciting, entertaining and building up to a grand finale.

5. The Finale - This is when you deliver your hat lines and launch into your final, grandest effect in your show and WOW the audience. You must have a positive effect on your audience at this point. Leave your audience with a lasting memory of your show. The happier they are, the more they donate.

6. Passing The Hat - Basically, all you do now is walk about with your hat and let the kind folk who watched your show drop money in your hat. It's a sign of appreciation on their part to say that you entertained them and that they acknowledge your talent.

In a nutshell, that's what street performing is all about. It's not rocket science but it is not that easy either. You need to have a good knowledge of street performing and a grasp of certain fundamental skills.

Shawn Leban

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:04 am 
born to perform.

I usually say something like "hey you wanna see something cool" or "check this out" because that way they dont know that you're going to do a magic trick, which helps in some situations.

I don't really set a date, but whenever I go somewhere(e.g. Target) I just bring along a deck of cards or whatever and go up to random people, the worst that could happen is them saying "no"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:59 pm 
Penguin

ya thnx guys.... im gonna try to do those tips once i get out. and i'll update wat happens.... :)
oh ya one more question. Are you usually with someone or just by your self performing? cause i find it more encouring if somebody's with me taking there time for me to show magic to ppl.
oh ya wat was the book???