View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:04 pm 
Penguin

Dude13311 wrote:
When you approach someone, you should ask them "Can I show you something?" and go along and perform your trick.

I agree.

I have only been doing magic for about two weeks but i have about 5 tricks that i got good enough to do at local bars or partys.

When I ask, I just walk up to them and ask "can I show you something?"
you can take that in a perv way on here, but face to face you have to come off like your normal and you dont want to freak them out.
So smile or joke around if they look at you funny.

I have been going out and doing this for about 1 week now and I have walked up to about 20 people and never got turned down except once. And when you do it more it builds up confindence.

If you tell them what your going to do then they focus on the trick and you dont catch them off guard.

Just dont dress creepy and dont act weird(i have seen alot on you tube were kids dress creepy and act like there about to rob you, lol). Act natural and be yourself.
What I like to do is hang out somewhere with friends so people can see me laughing and carring on and they know im a normal person so when I approach they are not timid.

This is only my first post but i hoped i helped.
Bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:19 pm 
Penguin

Or you could do what david blaine does. If you want to film yourself to improve on your effects, etc. you can have your cameraman or "scout" go around and ask if people want to be entertained. but then you would need a release form and all that stuff. You would probably also need a permit.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck!

Post subject: Re: For Street Mgicians....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 pm 
Penguin

RapMagic wrote:
Just a question(big questions) when performing magic to ppl...

Do you set/schedule a day mostly performing out side or you just walk around and if you find some interesting ppl you show them some magic? I mean.. for example do you perform in the train/subway while going to work? Because it'so hard for me to pick the "rite" time to actually ask ppl to show magic.

What do you ask when you wanna perform to ppl??? I'm having a hard time starting doing magic to ppl cause everytime I ask.... "You guys wanna see a magic trick?" or "You wanna see some card tricks?" most of them will say NO. How do you appraoch people in the street? And an old guy thought I was some bad... person whos jsut joking around or trying to kidnap somebody. Someone actually kinda threatened me in the city for jsut asking ppl for me to show magic...

Please answer.... please.....
and maybe tell meow you would start ur magical day doing magic.
ok heres what you do, buy the long distence spinner and start doing it in a subway or someplace "person populiar". the people will COME TO YOU but only if theyre intrested so when the people come to you make some small talk and proceed to do some card tricks with the same deck and insert the long distence spinner into a card trick because that is obvisouly what they want to see and then a crowd gathers around the star YOU!!! :D HOPE THIS HELPED!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:54 pm 
Penguin

RapMagic wrote:

Do you set/schedule a day mostly performing out side or you just walk around and if you find some interesting ppl you show them some magic? I mean.. for example do you perform in the train/subway while going to work? Because it'so hard for me to pick the "rite" time to actually ask ppl to show magic.

What do you ask when you wanna perform to ppl??? I'm having a hard time starting doing magic to ppl cause everytime I ask.... "You guys wanna see a magic trick?" or "You wanna see some card tricks?" most of them will say NO. How do you appraoch people in the street? And an old guy thought I was some bad... person whos jsut joking around or trying to kidnap somebody. Someone actually kinda threatened me in the city for jsut asking ppl for me to show magic...

ok heres what you do, buy the long distence spinner and start doing it in a subway or someplace "person populiar". the people will COME TO YOU but only if theyre intrested so when the people come to you make some small talk and proceed to do some card tricks with the same deck and insert the long distence spinner into a card trick because that is obvisouly what they want to see and then a crowd gathers around the star YOU!!! :D HOPE THIS HELPED!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:18 pm 
Penguin

RapMagic wrote:

On the bus ride home I have been preforming some magic for people.
Once you show one person...you turn to somone else...chances are they are watching and ask "Shall I show you a trick as well?"
then you do a trick for them.

Or if somone randomly looks at you...as you are walking stop them,kindly, and ask if they would like to see a trick.

If you see a group of kids or a few adults...
Whatever you are comfortable with, walk up to them and just ask "Do you mind if i show you a few things?"...they will usually say "what do you want to show me?"...and you just say "A trick or two."....and if they are not convinced just say "Magic." if somone says "No thank you."....just thank them for their time and walk away.

Post subject: The B-2 Bomber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:48 am 
Penguin

I asked for this trick for Christmas and I was wondering if it's worth the money? and how well it plays on the street.
Thanks!
CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:54 pm 
Penguin

Most people think that if you say "you wanna see something cool?" that your going to pull a knife on them, or some homicidal thought. But i am 13, so people dont think i will do anything like that, and plus, i will have a deck of cards out when i say that to give them reesurrance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:31 am 
Penguin

Going back real quick to the stripper idea of "wanna see something cool" and flashing. Generally, if you are wearing a rather tight shirt and jeans, and hold a deck of cards, no one will think you are about to strip or flash in front of them.

Anyway, the way I do performances on the street is first attracting a crowd. Sometimes people will have large parties at local parks, and if you find the birthday boy, doing the B2 Bomber with his brand new 50$ bill and ripping it out is very funny, and makes a large impact. For actual street magic, I usually have a deck of cards sitting down and repeatably shuffling them. Then when someone passes by and looks at you, get up and ask them if "you can show them something cool" or "can i try this on you? its really neat" or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:32 pm 
Penguin

I go out when it is just starting to get dark.
Somtimes a little earlier.
Cause sleight of hand is better when it is harder to see.
That is why some magicians like to show drunks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:45 pm 
Penguin

That's why all magicians perform in the dark, right?

The two most important things in magic is lighting and sound. After all, the audience hears you, and sees you. If they don't, then your show will go down the drain in a hurry.

That didn't have much to do with busking, but people who posted after paddy and Robert, LISTEN TO WHAT THEY POSTED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:30 pm 
born to perform.

danger_ wrote:

The two most important things in magic is lighting and sound. After all, the audience hears you, and sees you. If they don't, then your show will go down the drain in a hurry.

That didn't have much to do with busking, but people who posted after paddy and Robert, LISTEN TO WHAT THEY POSTED.

That is not true. Lighting has absolutely nothing to do with how well the trick goes. Although it may help the performance a bit, it is not anywhere near the most important thing in magic.

It's the same thing with sound. Patter makes a trick much better, and is slightly more important than lighting, but a magician should be able to amaze an audience even in complete SILENCE.

The most important thing in magic is presentation. It doesn't matter if the audience can hear you or not see your slights, if you don't know how to present a trick you will never make it anywhere in magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:27 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
use your card wallet.

Card wallets are cool for attracting crowds. The crowd see a magician with a card wallet and this says "professionalism".

And it's only 99 cents.

90 cents with the 10% discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:39 pm 
Penguin

juggleguy wrote:
danger_ wrote:

That is not true. Lighting has absolutely nothing to do with how well the trick goes. Although it may help the performance a bit, it is not anywhere near the most important thing in magic.

It's the same thing with sound. Patter makes a trick much better, and is slightly more important than lighting, but a magician should be able to amaze an audience even in complete SILENCE.

The most important thing in magic is presentation. It doesn't matter if the audience can hear you or not see your slights, if you don't know how to present a trick you will never make it anywhere in magic.

Let me put it this way. If your audience can't see the magic, then what's the point?