View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: i have'nt even started magic can anyone give me some tips?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:34 pm 
Penguin

i havnt even started magic yet and i would like some oppinos on the best starting kit for all magic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:36 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Mark Wilson's complete course in magic is the way to go. I started with it and so did countless others. Its a great starter book that covers alot of material. Everything is pretty much basic, so once you learn it, you can adapt it to your own style. good luck with magic!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:40 pm 
Penguin

ok what should i use after that or will that give me all the things i need to know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:50 pm 
born to perform.

Once you've done that, you go at your own pace... decide what you like and go from there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You havent started in magic yet so you dont know what you really want to do, be it stage or street or srtictly cards. Mark wilson will give a great start to find out what it is you really like. We can only tell you what we like, which might not suit your style. Be creative when picking effects, dont just get the next cool thing, cus remember everyone else probably has it as well or has seen it somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:13 pm 
born to perform.

Location: In a galaxy somewhere in the vicinity of Betelguese 5
Agreed. Mark Wilson's book is my number one reccomendation for all beginners. It is must have in your library. I think it is probably the best source for all you need to get started, and determine if you have the stones to make it.

If you can do the sponge ball routine in Wilson's, of which I personally have modified and use every chance I get, it is a reputation maker.

Also, his billiard ball routine is very nice and simple.

Finally, some very easy to make stage routines. I made the Tip-Over Trunk and Vanishing Bunny Box, and performed both very successfully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:22 pm 
Penguin

thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:17 pm 
born to perform.

another good book is magic for dummies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:45 am 
Penguin

magikrn wrote:
Mark Wilson's complete course in magic is the way to go. I started with it and so did countless others. Its a great starter book that covers alot of material. Everything is pretty much basic, so once you learn it, you can adapt it to your own style. good luck with magic!!!!

I couldn't agree more on this. Mark Wilson's books are quality and easy to understand for beginners. I'd say it's the Perfect place to start. I wouldn't get into dvd's until you master about 2/3 of the Mark Wilson Course in Magic. He teaches how to make props and so much more.

Good Luck and Good Fortune!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:43 pm 
Penguin

thank you all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:40 am 
Penguin

brix wrote:
magikrn wrote:

I couldn't agree more on this. Mark Wilson's books are quality and easy to understand for beginners. I'd say it's the Perfect place to start. I wouldn't get into dvd's until you master about 2/3 of the Mark Wilson Course in Magic. He teaches how to make props and so much more.

Good Luck and Good Fortune!

2/3? 2/3?! Thats a edited of a lot of crap to learn.

I say buy the book, read it through, pick your niche (2 or 3 niches that is) and work on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:09 pm 
Penguin

varjak_paw wrote:
another good book is magic for dummies

Yeah this is basically where i started and it teaches you a couple of things. :) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:01 pm 
born to perform.

i got started buy buying (b-2 bomber) as my first trick and then got into cards....born to perform or other diffrent dvds that will teach you ccard stuff is always good.......other peolpe will suggest some dvds to you after reading my post...but any ways..do you want coins...cards...or what??? what kind of magic looks good to you???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:47 pm 
Penguin

I started with D'lites and sponge balls. I wouldnt recommend getting D'lites first though because they are too easy to catch without proper handling. Sponge balls are great, so is the TT. I started with a lot of TT effects from the DVD 25 tricks with a TT. Mark Wilsons book is also the way to go. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 pm 
Penguin

I dont think that there is a certain kit that is the best. I think it depends what you want to do with your magic. I personally, in a year, im gonna work shows, b-day parties, and i also do alot of street magic. Are you going to take off with a magic career like david copperfield stage magic or are you going to do David Blaine style street Magic? I personally like stage magic because on the streets, there is that one "not liked by magicians" person that grabs the coin or deck of cards or asks u to do it again when you cant do it again immediatly. It's not like someone is gonna walk up onto the stage and ask you to do the trick again in a magic routine. Even though I like street magic and have the tricks for it, I prefer Stage magic. But, since u are starting out, I would say u should get a kit containing some neat card tricks, then once u get good at those tricks, you should purchase single, effective tricks.