View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I disagree with you saying he should buy single good tricks. He should get some really good books, that teach him more than 1 effect. I would recommend after you read through mark wilson's book, to either pick up the art of astonishment series, or tarbells course in magic. Both series of books will keep you practicing for years to come and both have a wide range of effects in them. Buying single "tricks" is a bad idea when first starting out because you are going to waste alot of money buying something that someone else said was "cool", but doesn't fit your style at all. I learned the hard way when I got started, now Im strictly books and dvds if I find a good enough one to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:44 am 
Penguin

Then again, one could suggest you pick up Bobo's coin book and Royal Road to Card magic. Grab a few half-dollars and a deck of cards and begin learning sleight of hand.

For about $25, you'll have a *ton* of stuff on which you can work that will keep you busy for a while.

No matter where you end up, you'll want to know how to do sleight of hand magic. Esp. when someone hands you their deck of cards and arrogantly says, "here, let's see what you can do without your props!"

Just my opinion. I'm sure that M. Wilson's approach and the others recommended here are good approaches as well.

Post subject: Re: I have'nt even started magic can anyone give me some tip
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:15 am 
born to perform.

mrbig53 wrote:
I havnt even started magic yet and I would like some oppinos on the best starting kit for all magic

make sure you learn about pattern, presentation, misdirection, angles, and audiance management. those are the basics and essencials.

Post subject: Re: I have'nt even started magic can anyone give me some tip
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:20 am 
Penguin

agold7964 wrote:
mrbig53 wrote:
I havnt even started magic yet and I would like some oppinos on the best starting kit for all magic

make sure you learn about pattern, presentation, misdirection, angles, and audiance management. those are the basics and essencials.

for those of us who are less experienced, can you explain what you mean by "pattern"?

TIA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:04 pm 
born to perform.

i think he means patter which is the "story line" of a trick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:20 pm 

Patter is the words you say while performing an effect. i.e. "I start with this" (act like you get something from the air) "because it is everywhere, and it is cheap." I then "throw" the pinch of whatever from one hand to te other and say "And as you see, they are easy to train." I open my other hand and there is a sponge ball there.

Then the story keeps being told as I do a sponge ball routine. Patter adds interest, makes the effect a logical act, even when it is supposedly an impossible act and is an effective means of misdirection because the audience is listening to what you say when you actually do something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:47 pm 
born to perform.

yeah....paddy's explaination is better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:08 am 
born to perform.

Start with mark wilson's book, some sponge balls, a deck of cards, some coins, a T.h.u.m.b. Tip, a 9 inch handkercheif,a very cheap set of cups and balls (the colored cup set), and you should be set. That is everything that you will need for a while. Then you can really decide what you are interested in.

Ben Winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:57 pm 
Penguin

The first step is to go with books. That means FORGET (EDITED)! Stigmata is 30 dollars and I bought mark wilsons book when I started for 20 dollars. thats one trick for more than over 100 tricks. Please stay away from E and buy Mark Wilsons Complete Couse In Magic!!!