View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: rutine needs help, and a few quesitons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:19 pm 
Penguin

well, im just starting with magic and i think i have a decent rutine

Opener : Self typing shoelaces ( great way to get attention from the first spectator, and then more people usually come)

5 and 1 transpo (always a great attention grabber too.)

2 dollar window

Spotted (a card trick my friend made up and taught to me)

Closer: need some ideas. Can any one help?

I have 22 blows to the head, quantum, and maybe torn on the way

also. how do u get tips. its kinda rude to just ask for them
it almost makes u seem homeless lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Well, as you are a beginner, you probably won't get tips. Street magic is not where you get money. If you do busking (which you actually have to do some research for) you get money if you're good. But street magic, you probably won't get much money, especially since you are new.

Personally, I think STS is a horrible opener. I think it's better to put it in the middle of a routine. I just think it's awkward to go up to someone and say, "Hey, look at my shoe, it's untied."

I would say even before performing, learn some new stuff. You aren't ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:56 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Vice President of the cannot join unless you are Serbian club!
I just say(for STS) can you tie my shoe? I never learned how. (they tie the other shoe) Let me try! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:25 pm 
born to perform.

don't do 5 and 1 transpo and 2 dollar window together. Just pick one bill change. If people see you get out separate bills for separate tricks, they will think the bills are gimmicked, then if they ask to inspect them, you're screwed if you don't know any switches.

Post subject: Re: rutine needs help, and a few quesitons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:18 pm 
Penguin

mikethemagician wrote:
well, im just starting with magic and I think I have a decent rutine...also. how do u get tips. its kinda rude to just ask for them
it almost makes u seem homeless lol

Your routine stinks, but other than that it is OK. Others have told you why. The trick to getting tips is to use hat lines. Use them often and make them funny. A hat line is telling the people that you expect tips for your performance. You don't ask for tips, you tell people that you expect them.

Gazzo, whose lines you don't want to steal unless you're as good as he is, even goes so far as to say; "kids bring up the money and put it in my hat, if your parents give anything less than five dollars they don't love." I don't have the balls to say that but it works for him. BTW Gazzo makes around US$200,00.00 a year JUST busking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:25 am 
Penguin

so i see my rutine needs some help

i got quantum bandits today which is a really simple trick but very convincing
and i also got Angels' levitation which is gonna take me a while to set up

wat tricks do u think would help my rutine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:26 am 
Penguin

Busking is more about you entertaining people then the magic. Plain and simple. No trick will teach you to be entertaining or cover it up if your not.
If your energetic, funny, captivating and have a wonderful personality then the tricks are very secondary.
I've told this over and over again to kids and teens that see me perform and want to become magicians. I can't stress it enough.
Buying tricks on a website or from a shop and doing them does not make you a magician. It makes you a guy that does tricks.
The best advice I can give you is come up with a routine, script it out, practice the entire routine. Test it out on the street and figure out what’s working and what’s not. Then rework it till its gold.

Magic is a performing art please help keep it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:29 pm 
Penguin

Space ghost is RIGHT!!! When you look at Gazzo, or Kosmo, or Chris Capehart, or any successful busker you will see that every effect they do is very simple to do. It is the performing that makes the money.

My street show consists of a thumb tip appearance and vanish of a silk, a rope routine and then the Linking Rings using 3 rings only from Chris Capehart's routine., sometimes I will use Whit Haydn's 4 ring routine depending on what I feel like doing.

That's it, 3 effects, it takes me 15 to 20 minutes to perform these 3 things and I will pull in US$75 to 100 an hour. I work 3 to 4 hours for 3 or 4 days aweek and Take the rest of the time to chase women.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:05 pm 
born to perform.

nice job peter :wink:

what i notice about your routine...and please anyone correct if im wrong but

you seem to more like one on one close up tricks....not busking like tricks like peters...whose are bigger than quantum bandits :D

so try to get like bigger tricks like maybe proffesers nightmare and cut and restored rope....anyone else please add or point me out if im wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:45 pm 
Penguin

From his post he appears to be doing closeup work. Basically street magic. Which is diffrent from busking.
What lead us to talking about busking was that he wanted to know how to get tips.
I get tips only two ways (with street magic). If I Busk or if I do walkaround at a resturant.
Doing effects for people ala David Blaine is not the direction you want to go if you want to make money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:32 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
Busking is more about you entertaining people then the magic. Plain and simple. No trick will teach you to be entertaining or cover it up if your not.
If your energetic, funny, captivating and have a wonderful personality then the tricks are very secondary.
I've told this over and over again to kids and teens that see me perform and want to become magicians. I can't stress it enough.
Buying tricks on a website or from a shop and doing them does not make you a magician. It makes you a guy that does tricks.
The best advice I can give you is come up with a routine, script it out, practice the entire routine. Test it out on the street and figure out what’s working and what’s not. Then rework it till its gold.

Magic is a performing art please help keep it that way.

Verry well said there, I totaly agree with you, I am a total begginer, but everything you have just said, occured to me naturaly.

And more things to the routine, again like Space ghost said, you can do the worst trick ever, but you can get huge applause if your presentation is at a high quality level.
I saw this Busker perform Classic Triumph, but everything was just so fast, people didnt have time to understand what happened, but if triumph is done well, it can get Huge reactions.

Dil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:52 pm 
Penguin

i love to try to add some comedy into my rutine
especially with my friends

i just got a pk ring and christmas is coming

any one know any good tricks, or wat r ur favorites to preform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:30 am 

mikethemagician wrote:
I love to try to add some comedy into my rutine
especially with my friends

I just got a pk ring and christmas is coming

any one know any good tricks, or wat r ur favorites to preform?

Mike, you have not been listening to what people are saying. I use a piece of rope, a thumb tip with a 6" silk, and 2 sponge balls and can run a 20 minute show with just that. It is the performance, not the "trick" or the props.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:28 am 
Penguin

Like Paddy said. We have stated that first work on your performace then find tricks that fit you and your show. If thats close up, street, busking, parlor or kids shows.
But for sake of answering the question
Fav tricks are the classics of magic (because no one learns them any more and they say much about the history of magic and the learning of great sleights and how to reall perform)
Cut and Restored Rope- My version, based off of Whit Hayden
Silk to Egg- Switch version, tho I own both I like the switch better tho its actualy a little harder
Silk Flight- Doug Malloy trick that I do in resturant, walk around and parlor. Its just shocks and amazes

I know you reading this saying "Hey what no linking rings?"
I have been working on a linkng rings routine for about 3 years. I feel when I perform I "borrow" to much from other performers. I've worked on my own routine but it does not feel right. So I've put them down and like always a light will go of in my head in 6 months and I'll pick them back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:11 am 

space_ghost15 wrote:
...I know you reading this saying "Hey what no linking rings?"
I have been working on a linkng rings routine for about 3 years. I feel when I perform I "borrow" to much from other performers. I've worked on my own routine but it does not feel right. So I've put them down and like always a light will go of in my head in 6 months and I'll pick them back up.

Ghost, I use both Whit Haydn's 4 ring routine and Chris Capehart's 3 ring routine depending on the audience. Both are GREAT!!! I don't worry about my own routine because I have bought the rights to perform these routines just like you can so that allows me. Also both these routines are a HE** of a lot better than mine.

Never, ever steal someone else's work, but if you buy their DVDs you also buy the rights to perform what you learn. i.e I just bought a 3 disk set on restaurant performing and they show several routines as performance only while several others have the explanation. There is no way I will ever do the performance only stuff, even though I figured all of them out because the magicians didn't give me permission by showing me the secrets. The other effects I have added to my repertoire.

Paddy