View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:14 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 4
paddy said:
Quote:
The only way we know you on these forums is from your posts, if your posts are full of errors (grammar and spelling) we have the impression that you are to [Edited] lazy to run spell check. If you are to lazy to just click on one little icon for spell check, how can you take the time and patience to perform magic.


I hate to bring this up, but since everybody is giving this poor kid such a hard time, I might as well inform you that during your lecture on grammar, you misspelled the word "too" twice. Maybe we can give him a break and let him dress and perform how he wants. He's not stealing shows from you is he?

Plus, times have changed. Street magicians can be as freaky or as preppy as you want them to be. Just my thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:34 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 1450
Location: Boston, MA
But atleast Paddy ATTEMPTS to use correct grammar. I think we can all agree that mispelled words and misused words are no biggie. It's when people make NO EFFORT to try and convey their message in an appropriate manner that others will get mad. He specifically said grammar is a "waste of time" which just makes him look like a fool.

About changing: I agree with you. Magic IS changing. However, that isn't to say that telling him to wear nicer close isn't good advice. Look at professional magicians. No, not all of them wear tuxedos, but they usually go to some extent to dress nicely. He asked for advice, he got it, and now he argues about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
Fatal brings up some great points. Magic is changing. But throughout history, magic has continually changed. Look at the golden age of magic. There was a lot of change. From the effects people using, the dress magicians were wearing, and even the popularity of magic. However, magicians have tried to keep a certain appearance. At first, it was that of a wizard. People recognized magicians this way. Then it was more formal wear (much like what Lance Burton wears now). And now it's getting more casual.
However, magicians still have a certain image. If you look at David Blaine, he doesn't dress like a punk. He does dress casually, but he dresses nice. Even stage magicians who dress casually (example, David Copperfield) still dress in a way that looks nice. There's a reason for this, because people are more accepting of others who dress nicely.

If you dress like a punk, you will be treated that way. If you take a little time and dress nice though, then you will see the benefits.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:25 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 4
All I'm saying is that there is a major difference between advice and criticism. Maybe he'll be the one to make hobo magic cool. I'm not trying to start something here, I just think he's got the right to dress how he wants and still be successful. He may have to work harder at it, or take a different route than you are used to, but I hate to hear peope tell other people they can't do something...the kid is young and full of ambition. You should try to buoy that up, not squash it-however irritating he may seem. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Posts: 327
i just looked at every post in this topic and no one gave help that was even semi-related to what this topic is about can someone just gieve me the help i need and not critisize my clothes and grammar im working on devising patter for 2 tricks a night then practicing those effects for an hour then when i get all of the patter written down i know what to lookfor like flaws and dead moments and handelling i am thinking about dressing like garcia does with a benie and a black buttun up shirt and still keping my bracelets and stuff so can someone just give me advice thats related to the topic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:41 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
dsingle wrote:
I just looked at every post in this topic and no one gave help that was even semi-related to what this topic is about can someone just gieve me the help I need and not critisize my clothes and grammar im working on devising patter for 2 tricks a night then practicing those effects for an hour then when I get all of the patter written down I know what to lookfor like flaws and dead moments and handelling I am thinking about dressing like garcia does with a benie and a black buttun up shirt and still keping my bracelets and stuff so can someone just give me advice thats related to the topic


We have been giving advice that IS related to the topic of Street Performing. You have said that you will not listen to the advice, so why the edited do you keep asking if you won't listen.

Read what I quoted. Try to understand what you have asked for. This is one loooonnnnng run-on sentence that rambles without saying anything except "I refuse to listen to all of you." The misspellings make it difficult to understand you and the lack of punctuation and capitalization makes it even more so. You show Garcia total disrespect by not capitalizing his name and what the edited is a "black buttun up" Do you have bunting on your shirt like a fairy princess?

Listen to what you are being told or quit asking for help when you don't intend to listen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
dsingle wrote:
I just looked at every post in this topic and no one gave help that was even semi-related to what this topic is about can someone just gieve me the help I need and not critisize my clothes and grammar im working on devising patter for 2 tricks a night then practicing those effects for an hour then when I get all of the patter written down I know what to lookfor like flaws and dead moments and handelling I am thinking about dressing like garcia does with a benie and a black buttun up shirt and still keping my bracelets and stuff so can someone just give me advice thats related to the topic
I will give you some very good advice, open your darn eyes. People have been giving you advice, but you're just too ignorant to see that. Instead of taking our advice, you Edited and complain and state that you won't take our advice anyway. So it's a complete waste trying to help you because you're too much of a fool to actually take the help that people are trying to give you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:59 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Posts: 327
oooo im afraid daniel garcia is going to kill me for not capitalizing his name no i wanted help on what tricks i should and shouldnt use for a street magic video and all you have said is to practice and thats what i have been doing you said to change my look and i said ill wear a Black button up shirt in other words the shirt is black and it buttons up you said to make routines and i said i have a few to do with these tricks you said to fix my punctuation i dont give a rats [edited] if you care weather i puncuate or not all i asked was if you could help me on what tricks i should use for my magic video i want to make this summer and NO ONE has answered that all i want is help is that too much to ask why dont people on these forums just answer what is asked they always have to complaine oh you didnt spell right so you dont have the patience for magic i have a lot more patience for magic than i do spelling to tell you the truth i dislike grammer i think its Edited i like how i look but if i dont get what i need with how i look now i will change it so how about you just answer what I ASKED not critisize how i spell dress perform and just help me narrow down the tricks i have OK? and if you cant do that then dont reply


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
dsingle wrote:
oooo im afraid daniel garcia is going to kill me for not capitalizing his name no I wanted help on what tricks I should and shouldnt use for a street magic video and all you have said is to practice and thats what I have been doing you said to change my look and I said ill wear a Black button up shirt in other words the shirt is black and it buttons up you said to make routines and I said I have a few to do with these tricks you said to fix my punctuation I dont give a rats [edited] if you care weather I puncuate or not all I asked was if you could help me on what tricks I should use for my magic video I want to make this summer and NO ONE has answered that all I want is help is that too much to ask why dont people on these forums just answer what is asked they always have to complaine oh you didnt spell right so you dont have the patience for magic I have a lot more patience for magic than I do spelling to tell you the truth I dislike grammer I think its Edited I like how I look but if I dont get what I need with how I look now I will change it so how about you just answer what I ASKED not critisize how I spell dress perform and just help me narrow down the tricks I have OK? and if you cant do that then dont reply
Stop being a little baby. Why don't you sit in a corner for awhile. Or have your parents praise how good you are. This is the real word, and when you act like a Edited, you will be treated that way.

Now, we can't tell you what effects to use, that's your choice. Pick what you can actually perform well. Look at the comments on your videos. You more then enough information and advice. So stop your whining, and take the advice. Otherwise, shut up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:07 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 Feb 2006
Posts: 327
all i asked for was advice like "i wouldnt use sponge balls because they dont look like street magic"
and i looked through all my tricks and these were the ones i chose and i needed help on picking which ones to definately keep and which ones i should throw out because they wouldnt look good on camera or so like i said dont reply if you arnt going answer what I ASKED these forums are designed to get help and i under stand some of the advice you have given me but none of it relates to my question


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:59 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
dsingle wrote:
all I asked for was advice like "I wouldnt use sponge balls because they dont look like street magic"
and I looked through all my tricks and these were the ones I chose and I needed help on picking which ones to definately keep and which ones I should throw out because they wouldnt look good on camera or so like I said dont reply if you arnt going answer what I ASKED these forums are designed to get help and I under stand some of the advice you have given me but none of it relates to my question
I've answered you're stupid question, just like many others have. If you're not intelligent enough to use the brain you were given, then donate it to someone who can use it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:57 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 14
wow theres no point to this forum. why doesnt someone jsut answer what he asked? i read all the posts and no one answered what the question was. if he wants to make a street magic video let him, im sure hes taken some of this advice in and didnt like other advice. i understand why he's mad its because people like you falling blood and fatal keep putting him down with what you call "constructive critisizm" when it really sint helping much at all i suggest you dont use any of the rubber band tricks they just arnt that visual or good for street those are better for more of a restaraunt setting


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
mentalist3 wrote:
wow theres no point to this forum. why doesnt someone jsut answer what he asked? I read all the posts and no one answered what the question was. if he wants to make a street magic video let him, im sure hes taken some of this advice in and didnt like other advice. I understand why he's mad its because people like you falling blood and fatal keep putting him down with what you call "constructive critisizm" when it really sint helping much at all I suggest you dont use any of the rubber band tricks they just arnt that visual or good for street those are better for more of a restaraunt setting
What you don't understand is that he already has posted two or three videos, in which people have given him quite a bit of advice. Also, on this thread, people have given him quite a bit of advice. This is a magic forum, and he's a magician. We aren't going to spoon feed him all of the information. He has to stop being lazy, and actually do a little work himself.

We've told him to practice more, before even thinking of making a video. And we've told him to perform the effects that he is most comfortable with. Yet, he has been too thick headed to see that. So if he doesn't like the advice given, then he can sit in a corner and cry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:13 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Nov 2004
Posts: 1450
Location: Boston, MA
Dsingle,

I don't think ANYONE will give you advice with an attitude like that. Several of us have TOLD you the key to sucess, and you have just blown it off. You don't give a rats [edited] about grammar? Oh well, we don't give a rats [edited] about your street magic. Maybe you should care as much about school as you do about magic. Your posts make NO sense what so ever, and you make absolutely NO effort to try and make them legible for us.

Maybe once you start acting like a 'magician' people will treat you as one, but as of right now, you're just telling us you won't listen to our advice. Also, some of the things you say are hyprocritical beyond all belief. You want your own image? So why do you want to be just like Blaine? You want to dress how you want? So why are you going to copy exactly what Daniel Garcia wears?

There is a REASON Daniel Garcia can dress the way he dresses: because he's a nice guy. From what I hear, he works hard on the effects he produces, and he presents himself as a professional. He also takes advice when it's given to him. You, on the other hand, criticize everyone who is trying to help you. No matter how many times you try and fix the problem, it will only come down to one solution.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Sep 2006
Posts: 3289
Location: The Shire
dsingle, I would be willing to answer your question in a civil way if you would do some work on your part. All you've done relating to the topic is given a long list of tricks and asked whether you should perform them or not. I cant tell you what to perform and what not to perform, mainly because i don't own almost any of those effects. You need to do as much work, if not more, to help us out as we will help you.

So how about you start planning routines involving those effects, and tell us as much information as possible. You cant have a good magic performance if you go from sponges to cards to bills to shoelaces to rubber bands.

So heres my proposition: Plan routines using those effects that flow into each other in an entertaining manner. Post your routine USING PUNCUATION and separate each subject into a paragraph so we can read it easily. Handle our advice in a nice way, even if you disagree.

If you agree to do all of the above, which is what all of the responsible magicians on this forum do when asking questions, then I will help you, and maybe others will too. If not, then you can plan your magic video alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.