View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:22 am 
Penguin

Hi,
Im an amateur magician and im looking to get into street magic. How many street tricks would u recommend me knowing before i start walking up to strangers? any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:29 am 
Penguin

Quality over quanity. Make sure you know the tricks you have. If you can perform them efficintly you don't need to perform a ton of tricks for a group of people. Street magic is suposed to hit and run kinda anyways. You can do the same trick all day long for new people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:33 am 
Penguin

mtanner958 wrote:
Quality over quanity. Make sure you know the tricks you have. If you can perform them efficintly you don't need to perform a ton of tricks for a group of people. Street magic is suposed to hit and run kinda anyways. You can do the same trick all day long for new people.

Thanks, but what would i do if they asked me to do another?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:41 am 
Penguin

You will need to have more than one trick then wont you, i think he was giving you an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:43 am 
Penguin

You will need to have more than one trick then wont you, i think he was giving you an example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 pm 
Penguin

brinn wrote:

Is this directed to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:15 pm 
Penguin

Hey, here is my first post with my new account!
It isn't how many effects you do, it is how good you do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:17 pm 
Penguin

TRISWYATT wrote:
Thanks, but what would i do if they asked me to do another?

You scissorkick them in the back of the head and tell them to stop heckling you. Then you look up their address and eat all their babies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:24 pm 
Penguin

TRISWYATT wrote:
brinn wrote:

Is this directed to me?

Of course it was, use a little common sense, if you walk round all day doing hit and runs with one effect then thats fine but if they ask you to do another you have two options

1. learn some more effects

2. dont do another effect, you dont have to.

hope that has really helped you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:25 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice, but i do need Variety. Dont I?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:32 pm 
Penguin

Well that depends, you may want to consentrate on just cards, which theres an endless variety of effects possible, this way you will only need to have a couple of decks on you. Same with coins. Or if its gimmicks you want then have a look at the street magic section in the shop or do a search because theres so many gimmicks out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:38 pm 
Penguin

Thanks, Brinn. If anyone has hitman, do you think its ok for strangers on the street?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:28 pm 
born to perform.

TRISWYATT wrote:
Thanks, Brinn. If anyone has hitman, do you think its ok for strangers on the street?

Yeah, just don't present it like Oz did with that crazed facial expression and bloodlust look in his eyes :lol:

You should have routines planned out when performing instead of a collection of single tricks. Have effects that flow into each other and match your personality. Be prepared. Don't get a vision of what street magic is like from watching David Blaine. He was able to do what he did because he had TV specials, but in real life, street magic doesn't happen this way. You can't expect to say to a stranger "Can I show you something?" and then do one trick, amaze them, and walk away.

I'm not going to tell you what tricks are good for street magic. There are so many topics on this its not even funny. And there is a whole section of the online store full of street magic effects.

But if you name what you plan on performing for spectators, I can help you put them into routines. Look up some topics on how to approach people for street walkaround.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:55 pm 
Penguin

kraynik wrote:
TRISWYATT wrote:

Yeah, just don't present it like Oz did with that crazed facial expression and bloodlust look in his eyes :lol:

You should have routines planned out when performing instead of a collection of single tricks. Have effects that flow into each other and match your personality. Be prepared. Don't get a vision of what street magic is like from watching David Blaine. He was able to do what he did because he had TV specials, but in real life, street magic doesn't happen this way. You can't expect to say to a stranger "Can I show you something?" and then do one trick, amaze them, and walk away.

I'm not going to tell you what tricks are good for street magic. There are so many topics on this its not even funny. And there is a whole section of the online store full of street magic effects.

But if you name what you plan on performing for spectators, I can help you put them into routines. Look up some topics on how to approach people for street walkaround.

Dang it. The crazed look and bloodlust perfectly complement me. Ok the tricks i own are: 3d rabbits, hitman, jokers wild, crazy cube, countdown, nickels to dimes, electronic rating pen, and a couple books. i am getting mysterious stranger by blaine and a cyclopedia of magic in the mail. i am probally gonna get a few tricks on valentines day from my family. I want to get either the raven or the bat, i also want to get kaos and stigmata from ellusionist. so if u could help me with those it'd be cool. thanks

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:27 pm 
born to perform.

TRISWYATT wrote:
Hi,
Im an amateur magician and im looking to get into street magic. How many street tricks would u recommend me knowing before i start walking up to strangers? any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

get "On the Spot", "Born to Perform", Bobo's Book of Coin Magic", "Royal Road to Card Magic". i think that should cover you