View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Me, thousands of cheerleaders, and TV!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:12 pm 
Penguin

So... Over the period of today (in a few hours) and tomorrow, I'll be doing walkaround performances at the Portland convention center here in Oregon. There's supposed to be around 3,000 cheerleaders, making one of the biggest competitions for them in years here in Portland. There's an estimated 6,000-10,000 people and a possibility of news crews.

I have some really nice business cards printed for this gig, I'm thinking it's going to be my big break!

I'm not nervous, but wish me luck... :D

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:34 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Haha, nice.

While I was at eric clapton, the hotel i stayed in housed many cheerleaders for a local comp.

luck. 8) and have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:52 pm 
born to perform.

Nice, sounds like a great gig, I'm guessing you have a few solid routines down pat that will blow those cheerleaders away, lol, girls are some of the best audiences.

Post subject: Re: Me, thousands of cheerleaders, and TV!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:39 pm 
born to perform.

MagicSteve wrote:
So... Over the period of today (in a few hours) and tomorrow, I'll be doing walkaround performances at the Portland convention center here in Oregon. There's supposed to be around 3,000 cheerleaders, making one of the biggest competitions for them in years here in Portland. There's an estimated 6,000-10,000 people and a possibility of news crews.

I have some really nice business cards printed for this gig, I'm thinking it's going to be my big break!

I'm not nervous, but wish me luck... :D

Steve

Lucky! I like to do sponge balls with girls. I make one travel from my hand to hers, then say "now you're holding both of my balls"! The reactions are priceless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:45 am 
Penguin

Day one was nothing but absolutely killer. I'll have to post more about it later. And yes, cards are my forte, with about 15 routines that have been practiced for hundreds and hundreds of hours in my professional reportoire. We'll see what tomorrow (day 2) brings. By the way, the management liked me so much, they gave me extra hours! :)

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:46 am 
born to perform.

Location: Vice-President of the Cannot define as to whether he is serious, joking, or being sarcastic club
What the heck?!

I thought this was going to be a bot with a bunch of good links.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:04 pm 
born to perform.

ha ha! nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:13 pm 
Emperor Penguin

The only thing I have to say is you are an extremely lucky man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:21 pm 
Penguin

So, here's the scoop...

Day 1: Performed for huge crowds, and did about as much stand-up comedy as I did magic. I'm definately living my dream within the first 10 minutes of this weekend. 5 straight hours of performing for groups of parents from as little as 2 people, to crowds under the beautiful skyscrapers on marble floor for teams of 50 cheerleaders. I don't think I would have ever imagined as many girls hanging on me for signed cards and taking pictures with me as this day brought. Handed out a good amount of business cards, but this day wasn't as big with adult spectators as the next...

Day 2: Started out by getting in a wreck when loading onto the freeway. I hit the roundabout wall when slowing down to turn and slipping in wet grit. I was the only person involved, how magical. Thankfully, my father was home and was able to come rescue me, take me to the convention center, and repair my vehicle while I was performing. I didn't let this get me down, this was my dream I was living, afterall... Quite possibly twice the amount of adults and spectators at the location (this day was the finale and award ceremony). Many of them requested my business card, which I obviously satisfied. Unfortunately, most of the audience was from different states. More cheerleaders my age though today (I'm almost 20), which meant a lot more giggles and flirting that took place. I think on this day I recieved better reactions, and bigger audiences sporadically. As I mentioned earlier, I had extended hours for both days, at an amazing wage.

I'm not really anybody on these forums, but I just want to say something to all you strangers... If you see a big break, take it and run. Don't ever look back, and perform to your full potential. Whatever it takes. When you hear motivational speakers tell you to be patient, because nobody becomes a star over night, I think it's wise to ignore it. Nobody becomes someday over 25 years by sitting around, either. In the last month, I've decided to quit my retail job, talk to cruise lines, talk to many different restaurants (hard when they never have downtime), talk to the US Playing Card company about reselling retail and cross-sponsorship, and other events organizers and events hosts.

If you have a dream you want to follow, don't ever stop. Live like you're going to accomplish a huge dream within a week. Don't ever be nervous, lazy, or embarassed guys. Go for the gold. :)

My site should be done soon at helmsmagic.com. Hopefully I'm allowed to post that here, as I'm not selling anything.

Steve Helms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:33 am 
Penguin

MagicSteve wrote:
So, here's the scoop...

Day 1: Performed for huge crowds, and did about as much stand-up comedy as I did magic. I'm definately living my dream within the first 10 minutes of this weekend. 5 straight hours of performing for groups of parents from as little as 2 people, to crowds under the beautiful skyscrapers on marble floor for teams of 50 cheerleaders. I don't think I would have ever imagined as many girls hanging on me for signed cards and taking pictures with me as this day brought. Handed out a good amount of business cards, but this day wasn't as big with adult spectators as the next...

Day 2: Started out by getting in a wreck when loading onto the freeway. I hit the roundabout wall when slowing down to turn and slipping in wet grit. I was the only person involved, how magical. Thankfully, my father was home and was able to come rescue me, take me to the convention center, and repair my vehicle while I was performing. I didn't let this get me down, this was my dream I was living, afterall... Quite possibly twice the amount of adults and spectators at the location (this day was the finale and award ceremony). Many of them requested my business card, which I obviously satisfied. Unfortunately, most of the audience was from different states. More cheerleaders my age though today (I'm almost 20), which meant a lot more giggles and flirting that took place. I think on this day I recieved better reactions, and bigger audiences sporadically. As I mentioned earlier, I had extended hours for both days, at an amazing wage.

I'm not really anybody on these forums, but I just want to say something to all you strangers... If you see a big break, take it and run. Don't ever look back, and perform to your full potential. Whatever it takes. When you hear motivational speakers tell you to be patient, because nobody becomes a star over night, I think it's wise to ignore it. Nobody becomes someday over 25 years by sitting around, either. In the last month, I've decided to quit my retail job, talk to cruise lines, talk to many different restaurants (hard when they never have downtime), talk to the US Playing Card company about reselling retail and cross-sponsorship, and other events organizers and events hosts.

If you have a dream you want to follow, don't ever stop. Live like you're going to accomplish a huge dream within a week. Don't ever be nervous, lazy, or embarassed guys. Go for the gold. :)

My site should be done soon at helmsmagic.com. Hopefully I'm allowed to post that here, as I'm not selling anything.

Steve Helms

Thanks that's really helpful.
You can say that from now on you're one of the persons who had influence in me. I want to become a magician en you helped me to believe in it.

Thanks my friend
Elliot Carver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:33 am 
Penguin

MagicSteve wrote:
So, here's the scoop...

Steve Helms

Thanks that's really helpful.
You can say that from now on you're one of the persons who had influence in me. I want to become a magician en you helped me to believe in it.

Thanks my friend
Elliot Carver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:50 am 

Excellent advice Steve. I started this business when I was 54 yrs old and made a success out of it full time. It only takes a lot of hard work, a dream, and the courage to believe in yourself to be successful.

When I met Jay Scott Berry he signed my book with "dare to dream" and I have lived that ever since.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:54 pm 
born to perform.

vstrunk817 wrote:
Nice, sounds like a great gig, I'm guessing you have a few solid routines down pat that will blow those cheerleaders away, lol, girls are some of the best audiences.
If he does some really good tricks they'll probably blow him away too! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:28 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Great advice... I totally agree with you. It's what I try to tell people all the time, you'll never get anywhere in life if you don't just get out there and try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:21 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the support guys, and the advice is no problem. Just something to think about... Even moreso, act about!

Steve Helms