View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:23 pm 
Team Penguin

This is what I do. I dont go out on the streets where theres more of a chance of getting robbed. Im only 13. so alls I do is go to the mall and bring evrything Im planning on performing. I usually walk alroudn the teens shops where there are more "croud gatheres" you will see what that is in just a moment

to start off, Learn floursishes. I usually walk around doing the better flourishes like the ones in the system and trilagy. This catches peoples eyes. People will start looking at you and this is a perfect moment to smile and say"hey, Hows is going. Mind if I show you something incredible" At this point, You will get a slap in the face, a yes, or a no.

Now that You have a spectator, determine if they are a boy or a girl.(obvious) Boys are usually the heckling type. The reason I hang around Teens shops is because you will usually catch the eyes of GIRLS. This is good for 2 reasons. one is obvious. The other is because if you try hard enough, They WILL give you the break you need. You probablly know that girls tend to lauhg and participate and scream much more. Check out liquid metal preview.

Now you have the specttaor. This next part might seem a bit silly, but please use it. It can save your chances. I have noticed that girls wearing the expensive clothes like aeropostale, american eagle, aberocrombie and finch. They are the ones you want.

OK, now using all of what you have noticed in your spectator, try to get a trick ready. You want ROUTINES for your crowd gathering. I stronglly suggest liquid metal, ambitious card,oil and water, card to pocket/wallet/window/wall. if you would like, try self typing shoelaces. I will highlly recomend WOW by masuda. This gets what you want.

Now that you have the trick ready, keep in mind all of the above, and the below,
*never perform the same trick over
* know how to deal with a heckler and how to properlly point out a heckler(listen to performers podcast)
*Keep your audience contained and entertained
*mix up your style.

Now time to perform. You want to have at least 3-5 AMAZING OUTSTANDING effects. These efefcts will get the screams. Most of the time, when you hear some body screaming and laughing, what do you do, LOOK. so when the specttaors scream and participate, it gathers other spectators to come over and check out your card skills.

Keep in mind that you ALWAYS must have a backup plan. If the show starts to bomb, people start walking away, catch there attention. Borrow peoples objects, have humor, Keep the audience entertained. and PLease dont do only card tricks. Jay sankey makes this a clear thauhgt in most of his dvds. Use keys,starws,cell phones,bottle,dice,rope hats ect.

After a while of performing and getting used to the idea that people like seeing tricks, Think of one of the most important things. WhAT do they like to see. do they want to see a card trick,mentalism,coin,rope, ect.

You must learn about audience containment. It is mendetory in many tricks to have knowbody behind you or on the side of you. This can sometimes get out of your control. but start stepping up when its time. or else it might be too late and can ruin you. To start stepping up( I mean this lliterally) just start stepping back away from your audience when the crowd starts getting larger and lareger. Or you can just state nicelly that you need some room and to please take a step back. If you are doing well and the audience is enjoying you, they will gladlly do this.

The next thing is business cards. If you are a great magician, usually after the show, people will ask you if you do parties. for example"hey can you come to my house friday night Im having a party can you bring some stuff" thats just an example and ive gotten that many times. The best thing to do when you start getting this, Is print business cards or have them printed for you. The performers podcast here on penguin goes over all this very clearlly. You can do some tricks using business cards.

This has come up in interviews many times, How do you get the crowd to leave when you start to get tired or the show has gone on for way too long. One thing that is a bold risk is to start swaying away from the real great tricks. Or to go the table hopping approach. Give out a few items then say you all have been a great audience I perform here weeklly ect.

I hope I didnt forget anything. So on that note, I stronglly start purchasing some tricks, going out and performing, getting your business cards, and doing twhat you love.(hopefully)its usually best to perform with a crisp deck of cards. I really hope you take this advice and use it. but please dont copy and opaste it into another forumn or sell it without my permission. start listening to the performers podcast. Youll eb up and runnign with your big break soon if you take this advice. So on a final note. Dont be afraid to start performing. If your only a teenager like me, The crowd might not take you seriouslly but thats ok. you live and learn. I start feeling sick before each crowd but thats ok because you adjust to them and get them on your side. And oene thing magicians tend to forget. You go and its a once in a lifetime feeling. OK if the show bombs. You get heckled a bit but its ok. What are the odds of you ever meeting that heckler or that spectator ever again. and if you do. thats good. if you had a good show then cool the spectator might take out a card from there wallet and show you. thats what makes a magician feel good.

-Mark
♥♣TironeMagic♠♥

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:43 am 
born to perform.

great post!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:03 am 

Girspiggy wrote a long post. Yes, it looks impressive but it is so full of errors as to make it useless.

Quote:
This is what I do. I dont go out on the streets where theres more of a chance of getting robbed. Im only 13. so alls I do is go to the mall and bring evrything Im planning on performing. I usually walk alroudn the teens shops where there are more "croud gatheres"

Malls are PRIVATE PROPERTY, in short you need permission ;to do anything there. If you don't get permission they will throw you out (the first time) or they can arrest you for trespassing. Also hanging around the teen shop will get the shop manager really mad because the crowds could block off the entrance into his shop. Another quick way to get banned.

Quote:
People will start looking at you and this is a perfect moment to smile and say"hey, Hows is going. Mind if I show you something incredible"

Jimmy Talksalot has an excellent post on another forum about asking someone if they want to see magic. It turns off most people.

As to the rest I will only say that Egg bag, sponge balls, rope, and cups.
You should be able to build that to 45 minutes in fairly short order. That's all you need. What he doesn't even have a clue about is the first rule of busking. It's all about the money. It is not about the spectators, it is not about the tricks (they MUST be entertaining) it's not about you. It's all about passing the hat and seeing bills in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:42 am 
born to perform.

You guys are making out like busking is a freaking war zone i do live in Australia. The streets are good here you would never even for a second worry about been knifed or your tips been stolen, and i have no idea about what goes on in the streets of America, but it sounds pretty rough.

---Dan---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:49 pm 
born to perform.

Last edited by swatch0 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:20 am 

could you type that in English?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:38 am 

One thing swatch0 had right was that crowds draw crowds. It's called the "build" and if the watch gag works for him great! Don Driver has another pitch build and describes it fully on his DVD. Some bang wands, tell jokes, whatever. The key is to get someone to stop. If you don't have someone, bring someone! I did that with my wife in Copenhagen. Although she's seen my show more times than she cares to remember, I entertain her and others stopped to watch.

Getting the crowd started is the first step to a successful show. Without them, you're just a weird guy fiddling with things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:55 am 
Penguin

Paddy,

Sad to say its not the kids fault they don't use proper english and capital letters in the correct places.Its TEACHERS. They don't stress the importance of it.

Guys wake up and smell the toast burning.Paddy is 110 % right. IT DOES MATTER !

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the plug and kind words. If anybody wants to see a clip from my "Building a Tip" DVD go to www.magicpitch.com and scroll down. Oh and order one while you are there. :D

Later,Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:43 am 
born to perform.

I realize that post could have been done better, I will proof read next time and Paddy those comments on peoples spelling and grammar aren't very nice it doesn't make any one feel good. and thank you Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:08 pm 
Penguin

swatch0, ( and all others that don't GET IT !)

If you think Paddy said what he said to hurt anybodys feelings or was trying to be mean,than you just don't get it.

All he was trying to do was to teach you KIDS what is acceptable and expected in an adult world.

We all make typo sometime when posting. But you kids don't even try.Its the "I ' and capital letters that is my pet peeve.

If you kids want to be treated and respected like adultes,than starting typing and acting like an adult. ( and jumping on someone trying to help is very childish...)

Now the mature thing to do here is say " Sorry Paddy,I misunderstood and I'll do my best to do better with all my post from here on"

The childiish thing to do is jump on me for this post. So,what is it going to be ?

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:34 pm 
born to perform.

No no i totally understand your point, my point was it was the way that paddy said it, i think he could have worded it a little better for example
"hey next time do more proof reading or try a spell check" the way it was said that i didn't like, rudely.

And i don't really think that i jumped on anyone if anyone did i think it may have been you and what i said wasn't even directed at you and i think i said it in a fairly polite way.

Post subject: lol
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:02 pm 
Penguin

ive been doing magic for several months, it, guitar and school have been my main focuses, if you ask me, it does not matter how old, or young you are to start doing shows or whatever im 13 and i do walk arounds at children's parties, the point is

to say a person is not ready just by reading a post online about what they want to do is stupid, if you knew the person, it'd make more sense

if you are going to then say: "you've been doing magic for several months, so you dont know what your talking about" then ur an idiot

Post subject: Re: lol
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:15 pm 
Emperor Penguin

RebelRyan wrote:
ive been doing magic for several months, it, guitar and school have been my main focuses, if you ask me, it does not matter how old, or young you are to start doing shows or whatever im 13 and i do walk arounds at children's parties, the point is

to say a person is not ready just by reading a post online about what they want to do is stupid, if you knew the person, it'd make more sense

if you are going to then say: "you've been doing magic for several months, so you dont know what your talking about" then ur an idiot
Now, I'm pretty sure it's useless to even reply to you. But you don't know what busking is. You are young, and haven't been in magic long. I doubt you've ever tried busking. In busking, age matters. There are a couple of exceptions, but those exceptions have really proved themselves.

Maybe you should have read what this thread is about. We have no problem with young magicians doing kid shows, if they have put the time and effort into it. Busking is different though. It can get quite dangerous. I've had a couple close calls myself.

Also, the only way we know people on here is from what they say. And it's safe to assume that if they act like ignorant, or cocky little kids here, they will do the same in real life. If people show a complete lack of understanding of a subject here, then we assume they don't know what they are talking about, as it would be the same in real life.

Post subject: Re: lol
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

RebelRyan wrote:

if you are going to then say: "you've been doing magic for several months, so you don't know what your talking about" then ur an idiot

Sorry dude, but your 13, you have been doing magic for 3? 4 months? Call me an idiot but yeah, you don't have the experience to say whether or not someone is ready to do a show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 pm 
born to perform.

Probably not for me to say but this guy has NO idea what he is talking about, Walk around at children's party's, and to do a show after 3 - 4 months is the most stupid thing i have ever heard.............And i bet ALOT of money that he has never done a show, or even shown a random person.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next