View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Any tips on how to get hired as a street magician?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 1581
Location: Your mind
OK , so i have been in magic for quite a while now, and i practice everyday with my handy deck of card that i alway carry around with me.

The sad thing of being a street magicians is, how do you get hired?
I dont have any stage tricks because i hate it. People alway says
«... ahh it's a big box full of mirror and things, it's just an illusion...»
shure it's funny and people laugh when you get a hat out of a bunny...

uh... wait a minute... i said it wrong hehe :P

But how shoul'd i discribe myself to say that i ont do magic on stage but around with people. To hire for the divertisment.

Shoul'd i dont get hired at all and just go around in the street performing for tips? Because i usually buy my tricks with the tips i make. But to make a step further on the ladder of glory i got to get more cash...

So how shoul'd i get hired, where? party , Bars? and how can i get seen, how shoul'd i dress so people know i am the magician that they "probably" anounced?

And also how much shoul'd i ask ($) when i get hired.
I dont need 1000's of cash. but i got to put some bread on the table

thanks for future tips =)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:24 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 7253
Location: Texas
Quiet a while meaing... how long?

If I were base it on your past posts, I would say your not ready.


Plus there are plenty of topics on this subject.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:06 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 03 Dec 2006
Posts: 7922
Location: Parkville, MO
Look into the Restaurant Walkaround forums, they have some great advice on what you are looking for. It's basically the same type of magic, just different settings. Look around, you'll find some awesome advice hidden in these forums.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Just by asking this question ypou show us all that you don't have any idea of what your talking about! Do yourself and all of us a Hugh favour. FORGET ABOUT MAGIC!!! They say there is no such thing as a dumb question. Well I just saw one. A street magician, or busker is NEVER hired. If someone offered me money to busk in front of their store I would proudly drop my pants so they could kiss my anatomy.

Street magic is just that. You have an entertaining show, using MAGIC NOT GIMMICKS, and at the end of the show, either a sidewalk show or a circle show, you pass the hat. If you are entertaining, and if you have used hat lines throughout the show that a appropriate for YOU, then you will get a fat hat. If your show is not entertaining or if you use Gazzo's hat lines when they don't match your personality, then you get a couple of bucks if you're lucky.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:40 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 663
Quote:
A street magician, or busker is NEVER hired. If someone offered me money to busk oin front of their store I would proudly drop my pants so they could kiss my anatomy.


Andrew Mayne apparently found a way that works for him:

50 Ways to Make Money with Magic

http://www.shockmagic.com/mbooks.html

P.S. - If someone DID offer to pay you, I wouldn't recommend the physical action you described to seal the deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Posts: 401
Odd how nobody thinks it's possible. Street magic? I do just that. I've been getting hired more lately for private party gigs, and just recently my biggest one at a huge convention center. I'm far from a stage performer, and I'm not a restaurant entertainer. I do walkaround with a pack of cards. Unless, of course, we're describing street magic as the profession and literal setting. Then I've not gone as far.

To make a name for yourself?

Quit your day job, spend all your time marketing and talking to anyone and everyone. Buy a couple thousand business cards, and pass them out to family, friends, stangers, and everyone between. If you have a lot of support from your peers, they're bound to post them all over bulletin boards across the city (or maybe I'm talented/lucky enough to have people do this for me?). I highly advise going to school for as long as possible, and performing for every class and corridor you can get yourself into. I'm getting well-known for random performances now on campus. On top of that, I've had a few gigs from college peers. Look up event planners and cruise lines in your area. It's very possible they'll talk to you. Talk to city event planners that hold parades maybe. Call as many numbers including restaurants (restaurant walkaround now?) as you can.

The people on PenguinMagic are looking to argue with each other- it's a good forum to laugh at others- So don't take comments like, "you're an embarassment, quit life," to heart. Above all, don't ever forget to lose all nervousness, embarassment, and laziness that you may have. Don't ever sit and watch yourself live.

Steve Helms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:06 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
He did not ask how to make a name for himself, nor did he ask about getting private jobs by working the streets. He asked how to get hired to be a busker.

Now as to your claim in the first paragraph. In this age of distrust who is going to hire someone just off the street. Come on, tell the truth. I am an established performer and Sluggo is not only a well known clown, but is known as a Shriner and also a high ranking officer in the fire department. We BOTH have to provide references on many occasions before we are hired for a private event. So someone is going to hire a person just doing card tricks in the park.

No we are not looking to argue with people. We want to protect the art and profession of magic, so when some kid who has a "bite out" coin and a Scotch and Soda and thinks he is a "magician" raises his head we will tell the truth. We don't give him bull crap like you are trying to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:29 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Posts: 401
paddy wrote:
He did not ask how to make a name for himself, nor did he ask about getting private jobs by working the streets. He asked how to get hired to be a busker.

Now as to your claim in the first paragraph. In this age of distrust who is going to hire someone just off the street. Come on, tell the truth. I am an established performer and Sluggo is not only a well known clown, but is known as a Shriner and also a high ranking officer in the fire department. We BOTH have to provide references on many occasions before we are hired for a private event. So someone is going to hire a person just doing card tricks in the park.

No we are not looking to argue with people. We want to protect the art and profession of magic, so when some kid who has a "bite out" coin and a Scotch and Soda and thinks he is a "magician" raises his head we will tell the truth. We don't give him bull crap like you are trying to do.


I could care less who you are on these forums. I'm not even the age of 20 yet, and I'm more confident than a leprechaun that I can work a crowd better than you. You're established at your age, I'm proud of you. I'd bet my life that I've got a higher emotional intelligence than you. Not only are you here to argue, but you're here to "protect an art?" As in, tell people to "FORGET ABOUT MAGIC?" Simply because they asked how to become hired and "established" such as yourself? Look how childish you are... You're not a motivator at all. Instead, you walk over people on the forums, and have a huge trail behind you bowing down to you.

Undoubtedly, I'll have 100 people riding on your little bus that are going to argue back at my post saying "paddy is the best don't argue with him!" Do they know who you are? Will they ever? Keep trying to crush dreams. At your age, I'll be far more than locally known. Keep working your restaurants.

By the way, I was just telling him how to make a name for himself? Have you gone through a college education, smart [edited]? I have.

Sure, the kid asked some stupid questions, and has bad grammar. By far, I'd choose him on my team over you, paddy.

And as a conclusion, don't ever think a bite-out quarter loses to a bowling ball from a piece of paper. It's magic; it's entertainment. It's how far your mind can take it. Not the retail price slapped onto the effect. Shouldn't you know this, being an "established" magician?

Steve Helms


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:42 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 7253
Location: Texas
MagicSteve wrote:
paddy wrote:
He did not ask how to make a name for himself, nor did he ask about getting private jobs by working the streets. He asked how to get hired to be a busker.

Now as to your claim in the first paragraph. In this age of distrust who is going to hire someone just off the street. Come on, tell the truth. I am an established performer and Sluggo is not only a well known clown, but is known as a Shriner and also a high ranking officer in the fire department. We BOTH have to provide references on many occasions before we are hired for a private event. So someone is going to hire a person just doing card tricks in the park.

No we are not looking to argue with people. We want to protect the art and profession of magic, so when some kid who has a "bite out" coin and a Scotch and Soda and thinks he is a "magician" raises his head we will tell the truth. We don't give him bull crap like you are trying to do.




Sure, the kid asked some stupid questions, and has bad grammar. By far, I'd choose him on my team over you, paddy.

And as a conclusion, don't ever think a bite-out quarter loses to a bowling ball from a piece of paper. It's magic; it's entertainment. It's how far your mind can take it. Not the retail price slapped onto the effect. Shouldn't you know this, being an "established" magician?

Steve Helms


IF I read his post correctly, thats not what he said or ment. :?
He said that there are many kids who have items such as the BOQ, and automatically thinks hes a magician. Just because you have some gimmicks doesnt make one a magician. Just because you might be able to perform a few tricks doesnt make one a magician.

On top of that you have mis-interpreted many of the other posts.
:?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:20 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Posts: 401
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
MagicSteve wrote:
paddy wrote:
He did not ask how to make a name for himself, nor did he ask about getting private jobs by working the streets. He asked how to get hired to be a busker.

Now as to your claim in the first paragraph. In this age of distrust who is going to hire someone just off the street. Come on, tell the truth. I am an established performer and Sluggo is not only a well known clown, but is known as a Shriner and also a high ranking officer in the fire department. We BOTH have to provide references on many occasions before we are hired for a private event. So someone is going to hire a person just doing card tricks in the park.

No we are not looking to argue with people. We want to protect the art and profession of magic, so when some kid who has a "bite out" coin and a Scotch and Soda and thinks he is a "magician" raises his head we will tell the truth. We don't give him bull crap like you are trying to do.




Sure, the kid asked some stupid questions, and has bad grammar. By far, I'd choose him on my team over you, paddy.

And as a conclusion, don't ever think a bite-out quarter loses to a bowling ball from a piece of paper. It's magic; it's entertainment. It's how far your mind can take it. Not the retail price slapped onto the effect. Shouldn't you know this, being an "established" magician?

Steve Helms


IF I read his post correctly, thats not what he said or ment. :?
He said that there are many kids who have items such as the BOQ, and automatically thinks hes a magician. Just because you have some gimmicks doesnt make one a magician. Just because you might be able to perform a few tricks doesnt make one a magician.

On top of that you have mis-interpreted many of the other posts.
:?


Interesting, David... what does make someone a magician then? An "adult" buying a "bowling ball from paper?"

I guess if you're going to imply that I should reread and think before I post, you might want to do the same. However, you're not stupid enough to argue if you absolutely know you're wrong... Right?

Steve Helms

Edit: "so when some kid who has a "bite out" coin and a Scotch and Soda and thinks he is a "magician" raises his head we will tell the truth," is dingleberry's direct quote. You tell me why he's not a real magician. Because he's a kid? God forbid, "QUIT MAGIC!" Is it because he has a BOQ? God forbid, "YOU NEED TO SPEND MORE MONEY!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:28 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 7253
Location: Texas
MagicSteve wrote:
DavidTheCryptic wrote:
MagicSteve wrote:
paddy wrote:
He did not ask how to make a name for himself, nor did he ask about getting private jobs by working the streets. He asked how to get hired to be a busker.

Now as to your claim in the first paragraph. In this age of distrust who is going to hire someone just off the street. Come on, tell the truth. I am an established performer and Sluggo is not only a well known clown, but is known as a Shriner and also a high ranking officer in the fire department. We BOTH have to provide references on many occasions before we are hired for a private event. So someone is going to hire a person just doing card tricks in the park.

No we are not looking to argue with people. We want to protect the art and profession of magic, so when some kid who has a "bite out" coin and a Scotch and Soda and thinks he is a "magician" raises his head we will tell the truth. We don't give him bull crap like you are trying to do.




Sure, the kid asked some stupid questions, and has bad grammar. By far, I'd choose him on my team over you, paddy.

And as a conclusion, don't ever think a bite-out quarter loses to a bowling ball from a piece of paper. It's magic; it's entertainment. It's how far your mind can take it. Not the retail price slapped onto the effect. Shouldn't you know this, being an "established" magician?

Steve Helms


IF I read his post correctly, thats not what he said or ment. :?
He said that there are many kids who have items such as the BOQ, and automatically thinks hes a magician. Just because you have some gimmicks doesnt make one a magician. Just because you might be able to perform a few tricks doesnt make one a magician.

On top of that you have mis-interpreted many of the other posts.
:?


Interesting, David, what does make someone a magician then? An "adult" buying a "bowling ball from paper?"

I guess if you're going to imply that I should reread and think before I post, you might want to do the same. However, you're not stupid enough to argue if you absolutely know you're wrong... Right?

Steve Helms


Your the only one who said anything about a bowling ball. So Thats your problem. :? You havent answered the question your self. :roll:

No, buying [edited] doesnt make you a magician. ITs seems you are fixed on that idea.

Age nor what you buy makes you a magician. Being able to entertain people with the items you own, with the knowledge you know makes the magician.

I dont appreciate being called stupid either. There is no need for that.
So get off your god darn high horse.

- dont try to call me on this subject. Your the only one whos causing a fuss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:32 am 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 22 Mar 2004
Posts: 7253
Location: Texas
Quote:
Edit: "so when some kid who has a "bite out" coin and a Scotch and Soda and thinks he is a "magician" raises his head we will tell the truth," is dingleberry's direct quote. You tell me why he's not a real magician. Because he's a kid? God forbid, "QUIT MAGIC!" Is it because he has a BOQ? God forbid, "YOU NEED TO SPEND MORE MONEY!"


I never said he wasnt.
The guy might be. But the fact that you own a gimmick, does NOT make one a magician.
Thats how I feel.

Its how you take those gimmicks, how you take the information you know, and apply them to ones shows, ones routines, and ones presentation. Thats what makes the magician.
Not age, and not what you own.

Think of this; Everyonce in a while we come apon a spec that knows or can do a card trick. Now just because he can do that effect or knows it, does that make him a magician? I dont think so...

if that didnt work:
Just because I have a some pipes and a wrench, doesnt make me a plumber. GET IT!
I am sure with your college degree you can understand that..


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.