View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which deck?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:32 am 
Penguin

Hi, I am a complete beginner to magic and have the necessary books etc. to get my learning underway. But I am interested in getting either a Stripper, Svengali or Invisible deck. I understand the principles of a Stripper deck but am unfamilliar with the all arround uses of the other two decks. I know a Stripper is pretty versatile and completely examinable, but how about the others? Is the Stripper Deck my best option for versatility, inspectability and improtu circumstances? Thanks. Jeff

Post subject: Re: Which deck?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:14 am 
Penguin

With a stripper deck they can not only examine it but it'll teach you few moves that you'll be able to use whn you decide to start doing magic with a egular ol' deck of cards. I'd say go with the stripper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:52 am 

I would stay away from gaffed decks altogether at first. Get some good books or videos on card tricks with a normal deck. You will learn the fundamental terminology and some basic moves that can be applied to a variety of different tricks. You will be amazed how fast this learning process will be, and you will then have the confidence of being able to perform card miracles anytime, anywhere. Only then would I move on to gaffed decks. Why? Because now you are using the deck as a tool to supplement the fundamentals that you already know, rather than a crutch or an excuse to go out and start performing fast. Anyways, that's just my two bits. Have Fun!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:06 pm 
Penguin

Thanks guys. Magicman– I am in the process of learning the fundamentals, I just want a deck to use short term to goof with friends and family until I am confident and profficient enough with a regular deck. Is the Stripper deck a good idea for those purposes?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with magicman, I'm currently learning the fundamentals all over again. But yes if you want a deck which you can use to mess around with, the stripper is the one to go with in my opinion. Very Versatile. "Cleverly Disguised as a Responsible Adult". SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:55 pm 

Yup. Get stripper (deck that is). Or even better, there are some decks that are both stripped and marked. They are a little harder to find, but you will get bigger bang for your buck. Have Fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:57 pm 
Penguin

well i would buy a the stripper deck because you have more options, and things to do with this deck , the other two are great but for only a certain trick at a time if you get what im saying, i hoped this helps!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:02 pm 
Penguin

I will chime in with my vote as well. Get the stripper deck first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:43 am 
Penguin

Is there any doubt? Of course get a stripper deck! Me and my buddies examine mine all the time when we're playing poker, so of course people will want to check it out, especially if they are guys. Mine's getting a little old though, it has "Pam Anderson" as the Ace of Spades.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:17 pm 
Penguin

OK man,here is my advice. buy a regular bicycle deck. They come in red and blue. haha j/k. but seriously i really think it is best to use as little gimicks as possible when it comes to card magic. you will turn out to be a much better magician if you learn alot about card tricks done with normal decks, even if some day you get into gimmick decks. Gimmick decks are fun but take less skill to preform. If you really are just starting out it is ok but save your money for the stuff you have to buy but a card trick should only cost $2.00 for the deck and a little imagination. Their are hundreds of trick you can do AS A BEGINNER with a normal deck that wont cost a thing to learn. just practice. heres me advise- take it or leave it, good luck man and email me if you want some info on learning some tricks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:08 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for all your replies. daredvl33, what is your email? I'm going to take you up on your offer. Thanks!