View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Busking Horror
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:16 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yesterday I had gone out and did a little busking. It turned out to be a very profitable day, and I didn't run into many problems.

That all changed later on in the day though. I was doing one of my last shows (I was thinking of just doing two more shows because I had already cleared my ideal profit for the day). I noticed a couple of people that looked a little suspicious, but I didn't think much about it. They looked like they were in their late teens or early twenties, and dressed in the typical "skater" look. However, I could tell that they were acting a little fidgety. So I just assumed they were probably high, and I avoided them as much as possible.

After the show, I got one of my largest hats for the day. I was debating on whether or not I wanted to continue, and I decided that I would take a little break and do one last show a little later on. So I packed up all of my equipment, and I was just about to leave when I noticed those two guys again. I was getting a little nervous because they were getting closer to me. The next thing I know I'm laying in a hospital.

According to a witness, two guys (by their descriptions, I'm assuming they were the ones I had a bad feeling about) came up to me while I was packing up my stuff (I have one magic case, and a bag that I put all of my stuff in) and one of them stabbed me, and the second one hit me in the head with a pipe or something of that sort. What I was told (based on the witness account, as well as evidence) is that when the two guys approached me, they seemed a little nervous. The one of them demanded the money, and I went to open up my case (I put my money in there after the show) and it spooked the guy with the knife. So he stabbed me, freaked out, and the other guy hit me over the head (it seems as if he did it more on instinct because of being afraid). They took my bag and case, and ran off.

I don't remember any of that. I just remember doing my performance, and then waking up in a hospital. I don't even remember much about my performance except a couple of details. The knife wound wasn't too bad. I had a couple of stitches, and they gave me tramadol for the pain.

I tell you all of this because I hope some people get the point that busking can be very dangerous. This is my first time that I've actually been injured while performing. And I also lost a couple thousand on props and profits (I had both a set of cups and balls as well as a linking ring set. I switch between the two for my finisher).

I plan on going out again, but being much more careful. When busking, situations will occur when you are injured, and anyone considering about getting into busking, must think about that risk. It happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I'm sorry for your injuries; I definitely will not be busking anytime soon. Get better soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:03 pm 
born to perform.

that sucks feel better1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:12 pm 
Penguin

Wow, really sorry to hear that. That's terrible and REALLY frightening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Wow man, I'm really sorry to hear that ... hope you're alright.

Any chance on bustin' these punks ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:42 pm 
Penguin

Wow...that sucks..hope you get better soon...they did not swipe your tricks too did they ?

Looks like you need a partner/bodyguard...that may help in the future.

Where is this world going ?...right to H**Ll I say :(

KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:08 am 
Emperor Penguin

They took all of my tricks that I had on hand which totaled a couple of thousand dollars (mainly because of the rings and cups and balls).

As for busting them, there is a possibility, but not much. The only thing that we can go on right now (or at least that I know of) is appearance. I only have a very vague memory of what they look like. One witness got a good look at them though, so that may help out.

It happens though. I knew the risk before I went out. But now I will be much more careful. I'm doing good now too anyway. I haven't had to take any pain killers today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 am 
born to perform.

I am terribly sorry that happened. I've found that when you have an initial feeling about suspicious characters, you should take those nagging, unclear feelings and act on them. Better safe than sorry; as they say. First sign of suspicious characters and you'd be better off packing up and getting out. Maybe return later after they've cleared the area, maybe find another area or just resign yourself to less money for that day. Going out with a partner wouldn't hurt, either.

I do magic part-time. On the occasions when I go out to perform street magic, I take buddies with me. At least one, but usually it's the same two. They come on their days off and I either split my earnings with them or just buy them a quick, cheap lunch. Both are always close by and at least one is always filming me. Cameras seem to keep those suspicious-acting ones at bay. Still, when one of us notices anyone that seems to be fidgeting or pacing or watching the hat more than the magic or exhibiting any other noticable, suspicious behavior, we let the others know it and we move as soon as possible.

I wish you a fast recovery, I hope that they catch the scum and recover at least some of your stuff. I hope you get back out there and I pray you never, ever have any such experience again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:09 pm 
Penguin

Wow, this scares me. Did you have all of the money you earned that day in there? Or just that show? I would suggest putting the money in your pockets then. Also, get a knife or a bat or something. - Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:25 pm 
Penguin

That's really scary.. realllly scary.
Try carrying around a stun gun... or even a flash gun just to scare them away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:12 pm 
born to perform.

I am sorry this happened to you, I hope you get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:16 pm 

That's busking in the real world. That incident is something that all of us face every day when busking for a living. We always try to work a known pitch where there are other buskers to prevent things like that from happenening, or have a friend with you to cover your a$$ against unfriendlies.

You NEVER want to carry a weapon of any kind. As a busker you WILL be hasseled by the police and if you carry protection you will be arrested for concealed weapons. That's a lot heavier than anything else they can get you on. Also if you have to use your protection one of two things will happen. One the baddies will take it from you and use it on you, or two, you get arrested for a felony because who will the cops believe, you were protecting yourself or their story that you pulled it on them and were trying to rob them? Remember THEY are the bad guys and THEY will lie thru their teeth to stay out of trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:46 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
You NEVER want to carry a weapon of any kind. As a busker you WILL be hasseled by the police and if you carry protection you will be arrested for concealed weapons.

Unless you live in Florida, where you can take a class, be fingerprinted by the FBI, pay a fee and obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit. It looks like a driver's license - picture and all - and allows you to carry a firearm or other concealed weapon, (except in certain establishments, post offices, banks, etc.). If anyone approaches you and demands your money - especially if there is more than one or if they bring a weapon into play - you are permitted by law to defend yourself with deadly force.

Another benefit, other than weather, of living in Florida.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It's the same here in Missouri, I'm pretty sure.

Post subject: fallingblood
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:22 pm 
Penguin

Hi fallingblood, I'm sorry about that.. I hope you get better soon, so you can go back out and work.. My other teacher Eric Evans is in texas with a broken tibia.. He hasn't been able to work in a long time.. It must really suck not being able to wake up and go right to the pitch.

Otherwise, yes you gotta be careful out there guys

Fallingblood, please read my PM

P.S.

Hopefully they didnt get your copy of TO Lure With Spectacle and our Mysterious Society :lol: http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=147323

God Bless,

George Gilbert