View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: im new to magic please help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:06 am 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3
hi guys

im verry new to magic/trick's i like to call it magic thou.

i was wondering where have you guys learned your magic?
i know you cant post links but you can still tell me names of some good magic's that dont requieres any gimicks. i want clean street magic that i can do with borrowed card. or coins.

atm i only know a few things i got 2 tricks i do quite well
but i want more and diffrent ones cause doing 2 tricks all the time kinda gets booring when you live in a small town as i do.

i would love some mentalism tricks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:28 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 Dec 2002
Posts: 4064
Location: London, England
If you're new to magic, the best place to start, like with any hobby, is at the very bottom.

In terms of magic in general, a good starting point is Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. For card magic, there are more specialist books like the Royal Road to Card Magic and the Card College series (link to volume 1) For coin magic there's Modern Coin Magic and for mentalism there's 13 steps to Mentalism (not available from Penguin).

Something else that will help you greatly is to pick up a book on magic theory. I have Strong Magic and it contains so much useful information on routining and getting the most out of your tricks by making the performance engaging. Another book I don't have but I'm told is on a par with Strong Magic is Maximum Entertainment

For beginners, books are a better resource because they are cheaper than their DVD counterparts and contain a lot more information. For example, Born to Perform, may be a great DVD but it only teaches a few sleights and even fewer tricks.

I know it might be a little disconcerting to say this but you can't expect to turn into David Blaine or Criss Angel overnight just buy buying a few tricks; but hopefully these books in particular will help you gain a greater appreciation for magic and help you on your way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: im new to magic please help
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
craty wrote:
hi guys
im verry new to magic/trick's i like to call it magic thou.
i was wondering where have you guys learned your magic?
i know you cant post links but you can still tell me names of some good magic's that dont requieres any gimicks. i want clean street magic that i can do with borrowed card. or coins.
atm i only know a few things i got 2 tricks i do quite well but i want more and diffrent ones cause doing 2 tricks all the time kinda gets booring when you live in a small town as i do.
i would love some mentalism tricks.


Lawboy gave good advice, however, just from the impression your post gives. I don't think his advice is right for you. From your writing I really wonder if you know how to read. From this post I assume that you may be in second grade certainly not any higher than that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:03 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3
haha paddy when you can come with some real stuf then do
dont complain when you do not know anything of the person.

haha your the one who is belove 2nd grade if u complain that i dont use capitols in beginings of sentences haha. thats just baby stuff
like i care if it should me some ' or capitols

just dont even post when you post that baby stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 3462
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
craty wrote:
haha paddy when you can come with some real stuf then do
dont complain when you do not know anything of the person.

haha your the one who is belove 2nd grade if u complain that i dont use capitols in beginings of sentences haha. thats just baby stuff
like i care if it should me some ' or capitols

just dont even post when you post that baby stuff


Half of your post is incoherent. Grow up and type like an adult and we'll treat you like one and answer your question. Until then, we'll treat you like an immature kid.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:39 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3
haha then i wont ask you anything cause your the grown up inmature kids.

if you really have to have it all correct you should go to reality of internett.
haha i cant even get the words in my head to explain how childish your post's are. this is the far worst magican site i ever come across haha [edited]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:29 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 1394
Location: Newmarket, ON, Canada
Yet you continue to exhibit poor grammar skills.
You sound like you are maybe from a non-english speaking country. I can count 11 mistakes in your last post. However, I won't assume you are in the second grade as that is not the correct thing to do. If you are from a non-english speaking country, then I understand why you cannot spell everything properly or use punctuation in the correct places, english is a hard language to learn. Either way, you are off to a bad start here at penguin even though you have been given some good advice. I suggest you take the advice given, read those books and improve your craft. There was no need for any of us to insult your intelligence, but you must understand that the only impression we can have of you is arrived at through your writing.
Thus, here at penguin we generally think that:
poor spelling and grammar = either a young kid, or a person who really doesn't deserve our good advice.
Good luck with those books and with magic.
But I do suggest that you change your attitude and writing style or you will be bashed here for a long time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 Jun 2006
Posts: 1738
Location: The John Hughes movie fan club.
Quote:
haha then i wont ask you anything cause your the grown up inmature kids.

if you really have to have it all correct you should go to reality of internett.
haha i cant even get the words in my head to explain how childish your post's are. this is the far worst magican site i ever come across haha [edited]


WHAT THE HECK DOES THIS KID KEEP SAYING!

Hey you came to us for advice and they gave you some advice. It may not have been excactly what you were looking for but If you listen to what they say you are more likely to get what you want.

If you want to play I think a place that rhymes with Parvins Pagic is more your size.


P.S. p=m


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:46 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
I don't know, and until he learns to communicate properly, this topic is LOCKED.

Any further outbursts of incoherency by this craty person may lead to his account being banned.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.