View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What do you do to pull crowds?
Start off with a big effect? 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Start off with one person and gradually pull more? 78%  78%  [ 21 ]
Actively run around until you have a cult of spectators watching you? 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:23 pm 

For an example of why I asked about age, check out Owen Lean at www.roadmage.com

This persona definitely wouldn't work for Cellini.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:37 pm 
Penguin

I see... I will honestly have to say I am "Not" a Cellini then. I believe that if comedy cannot be involved then the magic becomes dull. Oh sure, I can make a coin vanish. But to make you laugh while I make the coin vanish so your lungs can take the strain from laughing and then immediately switching to a "GASP!" If Cellini does not allow me to do this, then I'm not a Cellini person. Thank you Dave, I appreciate yours and paddy's advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 pm 
Penguin

i start off with card names (mentalist prediction effect, its great imo), end with spongeballs (if there isnt to many people), sometimes i clsoe with scotch and soda (however i feel it is more of a resturant trick or a trick to use in the middle of a routine) but if i must resort to it, i gotta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:14 pm 
Penguin

lucnguye92 wrote:
I would say if I posted my age, you'd probably say I'd be pretty darn young. So to save some face, I rather not say. But better yet, tell you that I'm a young inspiring magician. =P. But, if Cellini does not work for you, do you have any other recommendations that I could perhaps use, and then move on to Cellini's?

Most posters here are younger than you would think, I thought all the members were 20+ when I came :P .

If you're a beginner Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is generally accepted as the best starting tool for coin conjuring, with Royal Road to Card Magic/Card College being it's counterpart, although all three of these books can get pretty boring :? .

Also you should probably stick to non-gimmicked tricks while you're learning, then move on to some small gimmicks(Invisible Deck maybe) and so-on from there.
This isn't so much a learning thing as an interest one. After using the Raven it won't be too exciting to read ten pages on how to classic palm a coin, trust me.

Post subject: Re: What do you use for an Opener? and an Ender.
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:58 pm 
Penguin

lucnguye92 wrote:
I personally ask for a borrowed dollar and levitate it. "Yeah yeah i know. pratical probably. But its what I do as a Street Magician."

And for my ender, once i get a group of decent watchers with me I either top it off with "This and That." <--- personal favorite. Or if I get a really suspicious crowd. I go with the Humming Bird. =)

~ Capitan Chino.

Hummingbird is NOT a closer. It is an attention getter. It is an opener. That is what you draw people in with, even D'lites work. Borrowing a bill is DEFINITELY not a good opener. In an opener, you don't borrow anything, unless you have some special power to have your audience automatically trust you. And those three tricks, not to make you feel bad or anything, just aren't that impressive, try picking up some good books on card magic or coin magic. Ungimmicked magic is the best for street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:30 pm 
born to perform.

as an opener i try to make it look like im not trying to grab attention like a levitation while a good distance from people. then again im just talking about blaining, not busking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:31 am 
Team Penguin

I use my effect Magnetic Aces to open my close-up shows. To end, I either use Nailed! or Case of Mistaken Identity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:11 pm 
Penguin

I use the Opener by Morgan Strebler. ITs really great and draws lots of attention to you. Trust me you have people on their knees trying to get you to do it again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:07 pm 
Penguin

jaredcolton wrote:
I use the Opener by Morgan Strebler. ITs really great and draws lots of attention to you. Trust me you have people on their knees trying to get you to do it again

The Opener, I looked at the Demo and figured it out. But a spectator I dont think would be able to figure it out.

I could see why you would do this as an opener. Ive done magic on the streets a few times, and in the mall doing stage magic, and my opener for street magic was just a basic, Card to a impossible location effect. Or i would do signed card to wallet. I dont know if this was a good opener but the people who saw it sticked around. I thought it was a good opener, but is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:33 pm 
Penguin

If you can do a big effect where two or three people can see you and draw them in the crowd gets better from there.