View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What do you do to pull crowds?
Start off with a big effect? 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Start off with one person and gradually pull more? 78%  78%  [ 21 ]
Actively run around until you have a cult of spectators watching you? 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: What do you use for an Opener? and an Ender.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:24 pm 
Penguin

I personally ask for a borrowed dollar and levitate it. "Yeah yeah i know. pratical probably. But its what I do as a Street Magician."

And for my ender, once i get a group of decent watchers with me I either top it off with "This and That." <--- personal favorite. Or if I get a really suspicious crowd. I go with the Humming Bird. =)

~ Capitan Chino.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:37 pm 

Borrowing a bill as an opener doesn't make you look like a magician, it makes you look like a common beggar.

You'd do better if you saved any borrowed money tricks until the crowd has built and already they're enjoying your show.

Post subject: hytchaaa...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:51 am 
Penguin

i see. Advice from a veteran. Hm... What would you suggest be a good opener from my arsenal?

I have the raven and the thumb thing.also cups and balls w/ colorful assorted cups! =P

Post subject: Re: hytchaaa...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:35 am 

lucnguye92 wrote:
i see. Advice from a veteran. Hm... What would you suggest be a good opener from my arsenal?

I have the raven and the thumb thing.also cups and balls w/ colorful assorted cups! =P

You really need to learn magic before you start on the streets. With the little that you now know the crowds will tear you apart and walk without bothering to drop anything in the hat.

Post subject: so. i guess another year or so?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:51 am 
Penguin

so should i just wait another year or so? read up on magic manuscripts and just keep on blaining and practicing at children birthday parties? I understand that the streets are very harsh and I put myself at risk for humiliation, criticism, mugging, and so fourth. And I'll accept that, so please, when you say I need to learn magic can you please direct me in the right direction? I will openly say I need help from veterans. =) So, please, if you have advice tell me, or just tell me to never get on this forums. I really don't care, but just don't tell me to stop practicing magic. It would hurt. :cry:

Post subject: Re: so. i guess another year or so?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:31 am 
Penguin

lucnguye92 wrote:
so should i just wait another year or so? read up on magic manuscripts and just keep on blaining and practicing at children birthday parties? I understand that the streets are very harsh and I put myself at risk for humiliation, criticism, mugging, and so fourth. And I'll accept that, so please, when you say I need to learn magic can you please direct me in the right direction? I will openly say I need help from veterans. =) So, please, if you have advice tell me, or just tell me to never get on this forums. I really don't care, but just don't tell me to stop practicing magic. It would hurt. :cry:

Please don't practise at children's birthday parties either, an act such as that should be presented as professional. Sponge balls can be a great street act, or a great children's party act. The main point is just to practise until you can do it blindfolded or just about before you perform. If you have a TT I recommend 101 tricks with a TT.

Garrett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:34 am 
born to perform.

"practicing at children's birthday parties"
shows that you never been to a kid's birthday party... kids heckle more than anyone else.
some people think that kids are easy to fool so performing to them will be easier...

you need to keep practicing your sleights and presentation skills, get a few good routines ready and then try performing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:18 am 

If you want some awesome advice from a working street magician, check out
http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:04 pm 
Penguin

Thank you all very much. I guess I did overestimate myself... -_-; I can only perform two tricks blindfolded. Back to the magician's cave then. But, may I ask, what would an appropriate age be to just *try* busking? I have a partner in crime with me, and we have done a small gig at a child's birthday party.

It was a neighbor's and there were about I believe 20 kids. I messed up on a few sleight of hands such as not palming the card enough, or not double lifting effectively and a child would just shout out "I saw that!" Everyone would laugh and I smiled nervously. But picked it back up with a joke or so. But, the thing was it felt great when the kids went into awe when I ended the trick. Even if I messed up two or three times, they were still amazed. And, even though they were kids it felt great.

It felt great to use "Ambiguity." So, I believe that I received your two cents, and I am very greatful for that. I am also suprised that none of you told me to stop practicing. Thank you. =) I hope that I can become a respected member on this forum as I post my progress as a magician. So, please, if you have any suggestions at all, any new gimmick, any old book, any thing.

P.S. I'm more of the Cards and Coins. Sponge balls, hmm. I might have to look up on that, my partner in crime has them so I believe it will now become a great addition to my arsenal of "Inspiring Awe."

I show gratitude towards all that posted, even if it was a flame or an insult, it is still criticism that I will use to get better. Thank you.

~Capitan Chino.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

That's not good if you messed up a couple sleights at a kids show... that can kill 'ya. One thing that this tells me is that you don't practice enough. If you did, you wouldn't run the risk of ruining simple sleights such as the DL or the Top Palm. This brings to mind this quote:

"An amateur practices until he can get it right... a professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:15 pm 
Penguin

I'll be sure to keep that to my heart. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:09 pm 

lucnguye92 you asked for specifics so I'll give them to you. Get Cellini's DVDs on Street magic also check out Chris Capehart and Kosmo. The place to get these is http://www.kozmomagic.com/

Penguin has Gazzo's stuff so check that out too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:24 pm 
Penguin

Thank you paddy. I will work on saving up to get those volumes. Hopefully, I will be able to run, jog, walk, or even crawl through the bumpy and rocky road to become a Street Magician. Thank you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:32 pm 

I don't want to make this an age related issue, but how old are you? I'm just asking. What works for Cellini doesn't necessarily work for a younger magician. It's all about developing a character that works for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:44 pm 
Penguin

I would say if I posted my age, you'd probably say I'd be pretty darn young. So to save some face, I rather not say. But better yet, tell you that I'm a young inspiring magician. =P. But, if Cellini does not work for you, do you have any other recommendations that I could perhaps use, and then move on to Cellini's?