View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

What are the best things to use in street magic?
Playing Cards 57%  57%  [ 26 ]
Coins 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Sponge Balls 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Rings 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 46
 Post subject: What is the best magic for street?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:22 pm 
Penguin

When im old enough for street magic, im wondering what is the best things to use for magic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:26 pm 

All the above. Or, none of the above.

It's all about you not the tricks. If you're entertaining enough, trick choice won't matter. If you're not, no trick in the world will save you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:55 am 
Penguin

Yeah there is an element of truth to that, but some tricks are obviously better than others depending on what the setting is.

Daniel Garcia's Indecent is my favourite trick and would work pretty well as long as you were only performing for a few people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:37 am 

Choosing your repertoire is a tough job. Street Magic (busking) has to get their attention, build a crowd, entertain them, and convince them your show is good enough that you deserve to get paid.

Following that pattern, you need to choose tricks that build from one on one up to a good solid "middle" show with promises of better things to come. When the time is right, (you'll know when) you go into your big finish which leads into payday.

Just about any trick will suffice as long as they meet the logistical parameters set forth above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:32 pm 
Emperor Penguin

pingumagic wrote:
Daniel Garcia's Indecent...

Something tells me you didn't actually buy it, rather than learning it off of an exposure video on YouTube, MetaCafe, etc. if you can't even credit it properly. :roll: It's Wayne Houchin's, not Daniel Garcia's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:18 pm 
Team Penguin

Depends on who you are. When I busk, I use mostly my creations. Now, that said, I do use other peoples stuff, but no one could tell me what to choose to bring. Find out what your performing style is, find things that gain and hold a crowd, and most importantly things you have fun doing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:38 am 

Popchris wrote:
Depends on who you are. When I busk, I use mostly my creations. Now, that said, I do use other peoples stuff, but no one could tell me what to choose to bring. Find out what your performing style is, find things that gain and hold a crowd, and most importantly things you have fun doing!

There is a BIG!!! difference between your own CREATIONS and your own presentation. I know for a fact that in our world there has been nothing new created in years. In the world of Copperfield, and Lance Burton, that is not true.

But everything else you said is right. we have to put our own personality into the patter and presentation of every thing we do. To just copy someone else's routine will lose your audience in a heartbeat. I took Gazzo's masterclass one year and learned the cups and balls from him. Then when I tried it in my act it bombed the first few times, until a friend told me I was copying Gazzo. Well I rewote it to fit MY personality and now can perform it successfully and make money with it. Same act, same movements, MY personality, it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:23 pm 
Penguin

Popchris wrote:

You busk at the age of 13? Good for you if it actually works. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:13 am 
born to perform.

No he does hit and run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:50 pm 
Team Penguin

To UKCOP: No, I don't. I used to, and I relized that I was wrong, thanks to people on the boards. Busking, drawing a crowd, NOT hit and run works a whole lot better.
To Paddy: Hey. That is the first nice thing you have said! Sorry about all the fighting before. You actually do give good advice and obviously have a lot of expirience. No hurt feelings about the arguments before, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:41 am 
Penguin

flow

Last edited by magickidd786 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Street Magic Effects
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:06 am 
Penguin

From my own personal experience of doing Street Magic, the best type of Illusions to do are the type that can fit in the palm of your hand and use your hands as a makeshift table. Also other Illusions that are small enough to keep in your pockets, and if you happen to own a Pro Carrier, you can carry quite a bit more of a variety.

So things like certain card tricks that only utilizes you to either hand cards for the spectator to hold, I.E. Double Back, B-Wave, Queen and Ace Transpo.
Then there are other magic effects with coins/money that can easily handled by yourself or with the aid of the person you're doing the magic for.

And one last thing, you should also look into certain effects like:

1. Healed and Sealed - this is another great effect you can carry around with you and set it up or however you want to present it.
2. Flow by Dan Hauss - which just so happens to be my absolute favorite walk around magic illusion, even though I almost use it on a daily basis, it never gets old, and the reactions it gets will blow your mind.
3. Self Tying Shoelaces - this illusion is perfect for walk around/street magic.
4. Mentalist Effects - now I know that there are a lot of different types of Mentalist effects, but just check out the Mentalism section here on Penguin and you're bound to find something that will work for you.

There are a bunch more ideas that I have, but I'll just keep it short to 4 things. And at least they wont weigh you down at all either, really great tricks usually don't take up too much space when you're doing Street Magic... Or at least try to keep from being overwhelmed with how many magic tricks you should carry around with you.

And of course these are just my opinions, and what I've been using for the past couple of years and it has worked well for me so far, best of luck to you :wink: