View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PK rings have poles???
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:56 am 
Penguin

lol stupid question but I really want to know.
Also if they do then how would you determine which side's the positive and the negative? Especially if you have the plain old silver one it's hard to determine.

This is another question but can the PK putty be used with the raven?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: PK rings have poles???
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:43 am 
Penguin

keish wrote:
lol stupid question but I really want to know.
Also if they do then how would you determine which side's the positive and the negative? Especially if you have the plain old silver one it's hard to determine.

This is another question but can the PK putty be used with the raven?

Thanks

It doesn't really matter unless you're using the ring with another magnet, but you could always test by getting a perfectly horizontal stick and hanging the ring from it with string, then spin the ring gently.

The positive side will come to a stop facing north.
All you need now is a compass!

Also you might want to think of the possibility of the ring's inside being positive and the outside being negative or vice versa, and I can't think of any way to test this apart from getting a pre-labelled magnet.

Hope I could hlep anyway,

~ Pingumagic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:33 am 
Emperor Penguin

Well, lets think of this logically. The PK ring attracts metal, it does not repel it. So by this logic we could deduce the answer to this question by simply googling the answer to which polarity attracts, and which polarity repels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:06 pm 

Both polarities attract metal, but magnets do attract/repel other magnets.

Yes, PK magnets have two poles. Technically magnets can't do anything else.

There are two types of PK polarities, and they're hard to explain. One is along the axis of the ring. Imagine you're wearing it. The poles would be aligned with your finger; North toward a fingertip and South toward the knuckle. This is the most common type. It give an even field around the ring.

The other is relatively new and was developed for a specific magical need. The poles are cross-wise to the ring axis. When you're wearing it ad holding your hand parallel to the ground, one pole will be "up" and the other pole "down." Or, if you don't pay attention to details, one pole might be "left" and the other pole "right." To use these properly you must orient the ring the right direction to give the maximum pull. Usually they advise you to mark the ring (inside with a Sharpie) so you know how it's aligned. This ring works best with other magnets. You can detect "heads" or "tails" of a magnetic coin (not shimmed, magnetic) by feeling the push or pull against your finger.

As far as PK putty and the Raven, you'll simply have to experiment. Logically, since the poles (it *has* to have poles, remember?) are not specific to any particular direction, it would be hard to know whether it will pull or push against another magnet. If it's simply metallic putty and not magnetic, then it will "pull" no matter what and will work with a Raven just fine. I don't know for sure which type it is. Maybe someone who owns some can tell us what type it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:21 am 
Penguin

oh ok
magnets repel/pull and metal pull.
I guess i have to use another magnet to check the poles.
thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:16 pm 
Penguin

There is three types of magnetic fields:
1. Longitudinal (Runs from + to - in like this "-----------------"
2. Circular ( has no poles, but forms flux rings that get larger as you get further away from the source...sort of like ripples in water from a single drop)
3. Vector (a diagonal field caused by two intersecting longitudinal fields like this " / "

Both poles attract and repel. Opposites attract.

When I get a PK ring I'll do a magnetograph on it and tell you what kind of field it has for sure, and some cool properties of that type of field.

I do Magnetic Particle Inspections and have studied magnetism extensively.

P.S. EVERYTHING that produces a current produces a magnetic field, so in theory with enough magnetic strength you could levitate a person with a magnet alone.