View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help, With Putting Togethter A Routine
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:14 am 
Penguin

hi ive never really done street "shows" but i do go up to people show them a trick or two then just leave or something. But i want to set up a table and do a 15-30 min act for a group.

things i can do-
great card tricks
cups and balls
linking rings
d'lites
coin tricks
money tricks

Items i have-
SPUN
on the spot
in the trenches
card stunts
nailed
in a flash
3 ring circus
oz pearlmans perfection
extreme burn
the trilogy
generation extreme
heckler
michael ammar dvds
about 10 instant downloads
greed
smashed
twister

I was wondering if you guys could help me by telling me to start with what then go into this then that..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:55 am 

OK, there is a BIG difference between a 15 minute (sidewalk) show and a 30 minute (circle) show. You better be DAM good for either one. You draw an edge with a simple effect like silk in Thumb tip. When you have an edge (about 5 or more specs) you go into your next effect. Then you hit them with the finale. That is the BIG KAHUNA of your show. Gazzo starts with the silk like I mentioned, then does a card trick, then the Cups & Balls is his finale. He will run up to 45 minutes with these 3 effects. You don't want any more than 3 maybe 4 effects. Remember the whole purpose of your is to ENTERTAIN the specs not to baffle them with your "powers."

My filler is a rope routine then into either the 3 ring (Capehart) or 4 ring (Haydn) routines. I have MY OWN patter that I use. Do NOT try to copy verbatim anyone else's patter, you will fail if the patter is not your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:58 am 
Penguin

thanks alot that helped me alot. i think ill do some TT like u mentioned then daryls ambitious card and ill probably finish with cuips and balls or maybe linking rings but ive got to practice lots thanks alot u helped me a tonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:06 am 

There is a great new book out on street magic called "To Lure with Spectacle" that every potential street performer should read BEFORE hitting the streets. It's available at www.leapinglizardsmagic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:21 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
OK, there is a BIG difference between a 15 minute (sidewalk) show and a 30 minute (circle) show. You better be DAM good for either one. You draw an edge with a simple effect like silk in Thumb tip. When you have an edge (about 5 or more specs) you go into your next effect. Then you hit them with the finale. That is the BIG KAHUNA of your show. Gazzo starts with the silk like I mentioned, then does a card trick, then the Cups & Balls is his finale. He will run up to 45 minutes with these 3 effects. You don't want any more than 3 maybe 4 effects. Remember the whole purpose of your is to ENTERTAIN the specs not to baffle them with your "powers."

My filler is a rope routine then into either the 3 ring (Capehart) or 4 ring (Haydn) routines. I have MY OWN patter that I use. Do NOT try to copy verbatim anyone else's patter, you will fail if the patter is not your own.

Paddy have you ever been heckled from the hanky vanish?

Post subject: Re: Help, With Putting Togethter A Routine
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:40 pm 
Team Penguin

fletch7777777 wrote:
hi ive never really done street "shows" but i do go up to people show them a trick or two then just leave or something. But i want to set up a table and do a 15-30 min act for a group.

things i can do-
great card tricks
cups and balls
linking rings
d'lites
coin tricks
money tricks

Items i have-
SPUN
on the spot
in the trenches
card stunts
nailed
in a flash
3 ring circus
oz pearlmans perfection
extreme burn
the trilogy
generation extreme
heckler
michael ammar dvds
about 10 instant downloads
greed
smashed
twister

Can you review these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:38 pm 
Penguin

uhhh im not a really good reveiwer at all lol.. but i can give some quick tips

Greed- great effect if your willing to cut up money to make the gimmick and takes practice to get down good. great street effect but some people think its gimmicked.
if you WILL make the gimmick and WILL practice get it.

smashed- when you smash the coin people go nuts when you restore the coin you get even better reactions. not much to talk about
pretty expensive for this trick but if you have the money go ahead its great.

twister- i personally like this more than smashed its more fun to perform and it looks cool twisting a key then restoring it.
BUY IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:15 pm 

cenafreak asked if I ever have been heckled about the silk in thumb tip. I am a busker. Any busker that has not been heckled is lying to you. Heckling is part of the business you learn how to handle it, if it gets too bad then you bring the heckler on stage and embarrass the he ll out of them. Don't do that to a kid, only an obnoxious adult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:18 pm 
Penguin

haha i like it lol nice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:09 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
cenafreak asked if I ever have been heckled about the silk in thumb tip. I am a busker. Any busker that has not been heckled is lying to you. Heckling is part of the business you learn how to handle it, if it gets too bad then you bring the heckler on stage and embarrass the he ll out of them. Don't do that to a kid, only an obnoxious adult.

Okay Thanks, I just wondered why it is such a good trick when people know about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:52 am 

Cenafreak, people DON'T know about the Thumb tip. We magicians do but if you PERFORM THE EFFECT instead of just doing the trick peo[ple LOVE it. Look at Jim Cellini's act, he opens with it all the time.

On amother forum I belong to there is a big discussion about the Professor's Nightmare with some magi claiming it is too overdone and exposed. I performed a kid's show last night, used the silk, rope routine ending with professor's nightmare and a 3 ring routine. Show was 35 minutes long.

I had parents come up after the show and tell me how the kids all asked how I did those 3 effects, andn if fact the parents admitted that they had no idea of how I did it. BTW I had for inguires about my party rates and I know that all 4 will call me in the next 2 days and I will book all of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:58 am 
Emperor Penguin

The other day I made a Half Dollar disappear in Biology, and my friend says, "You're no good at making things disappear; they aren't as good as your card tricks." So I dug around in my bag, found a small piece of paper, and made it disappear... using a TT. He responded, "ok, now that was awesome. Do it again!" Of course, I didn't, but it shows you how well a TT can work in those types of situations.