View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question about an opener for a busking routine
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:18 pm 
Penguin

I'm relatively new to busking and was just wondering if doing a card trick were a good way to draw a small crowd. I'm hoping that once I draw a small crowd I can move to linking rings or something else that is more visually appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 pm 

Get gazzo's DVD or any DVD on busking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 pm 

Along with buying anything and everything by both Gazzo and Cellini, look for quick, "no brainer" visual effects that reset automatically. Examples would be TT and silk vanish, coin vanishes or flourishes, that sort of thing. Some card flourishers may disagree, but I think you should hold off on cards as an opener, saving them for later in the show after you've stopped a few people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:16 pm 
Penguin

I guess that I didn't really phrase my question right, but DaveV answered it nonetheless. I was asking if traditional up close tricks would be appropriate to lure a crowd in. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:14 am 

Both of us said the same thing. I require that you do the work and Dave just did it for you. Neither one of us is saying "go buy a DVD and do what it tells you to do." We are saying buy the DVD, LEARN the PRINCIPLES it teaches then write your own act.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:24 pm 
born to perform.

Magic is all about your patter. Anybody over 10 could do some simple push-over DL within 30 seconds of being told how, but only a few would be entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:01 pm 
Penguin

What does Fred's post have anything to do with my question?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:13 pm 
Penguin

andrewlevino wrote:

You can do anything as an opener, as long as it's entertaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:41 am 

andrewlevino wrote:

It has everything to do with it. Busking is about the person, not what he does. Find something that works for you, and you'll do great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:39 am 

Andrew, it sounds like you think that busking is an easy way to make money. G-D are you WRONG! Bisking is a b8tch of a way to make money.

In the "real" world you get reviewed once a year and get a raise based on your review. As a busker you get reviewed every performance and the crowd will be very blunt in their review of your act. Some may put a penny in the hat, some may just walk away, and some will yell out "YOU STINK!" Yes every one of us has had that happen because we all sucked in the beginning. As you get better the hats start to get better, but even today, if it is really humid out and my blood sugar drops, I'll have people walk out in the middle of an act. When that happens I take a break, grab a snack and my next show may be a $100 hat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 pm 
Penguin

Paddy, I realize that busking is a very tough job, but I want to give it a try. I have been doing magic for about 4 years and think that I am ready. I just wanted to smooth the wrinkles out of my busking act before I went out there. I mean no disrespect in that because I have very high respect in all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 pm 

Andrew, good luck to you. Busking is hard work. Don't let the learning curve get you down. Invest the first profits you make into Jim Cellini's work. You won't regret it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:23 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the wish of luck I appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 am 

andrewlevino wrote:
Paddy, I realize that busking is a very tough job, but I want to give it a try. I have been doing magic for about 4 years and think that I am ready. I just wanted to smooth the wrinkles out of my busking act before I went out there. I mean no disrespect in that because I have very high respect in all of you.

OK, I wanted you to understand that. The ONLY way to "smooth the wrinkles out" is to go out and busk. Start doing shows NOW. Will you suck as a performer? Yes. Every one of us SUCKED BAD when we first started. The difference is when we had a bunch of "hecklers all complaining about the same thing, we listened and changed our show. When other buskers offered us help we listened and adapted. When our hats started to get bigger, we thought about what we did different and kept it in the show.

We learned from our mistakes as well as our successes. So go out there and suck like he ll but learn from every show and adapt until you hit the $100 hat show. Then improve on that.

Go break a thread!

(oops had to edit due to spelling error)

Last edited by paddy on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:42 am 
born to perform.

I actually think I'm going to start busking soon. I did walk around for the first time yesterday, and everyone loved it. I'm 14, so this may be fun. No worries, I live in a community with about 20 thousand people, so I will know most who watch.