View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where is the line and how do I keep from crossing it.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:37 am 
Penguin

Ok heres the deal, I've started to figure out that any line which came from Gazzo is not ok for the midwest. Because people here are too uptight. Funny I was actually born and raised here. What I would like to know is what types of humor one can get away with out here. BUT I REFUSE TO DO SELF DEPRECIATING HUMOR. I AM NOT GOING TO LOWER MYSELF JUST FOR SOMEBODY ELSES AMUSEMENT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:39 am 
Penguin

the skilled performer will not only know his material but, also, be very adept at reading & choosing his crowd of viewers and knowing what kind of patter, including humor, can be presented in an appropriate way.

Post subject: Re: Where is the line and how do I keep from crossing it.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 pm 

Character wrote:
Ok heres the deal, I've started to figure out that any line which came from Gazzo is not ok for the midwest. Because people here are too uptight. Funny I was actually born and raised here. What I would like to know is what types of humor one can get away with out here. BUT I REFUSE TO DO SELF DEPRECIATING HUMOR. I AM NOT GOING TO LOWER MYSELF JUST FOR SOMEBODY ELSES AMUSEMENT.

WRONG ATTITUDE!! When I tell jokes and use myself as the butt of the joke I am NOT in any way lowering myself for someone else's amusement. I am being friendly with my audience. I am telling stories, much like Garrison Kellior, that are funny and so everyone can relate to me. I am busking for one reason. Entertainment be d%^&%d I am there to make money! During, and at the end of my show I am asking these people to put "$5, $10, even $20 bills into my hat" (That's the exact phrase I use.) So I have to entertain them AND, most importantly, I have to make friends with them. If I am just Peter doing tricks, so what. But if I am Paddy, a guy that remembers their names, and has opened himself up so that they could laugh, I'll get money.

Self deprecating humour is the difference between a $5 hat and a $50 hat for a 10 minute sidewalk show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:49 am 
Penguin

^^^ What he said.

Self-depricating humor is very easy for the audience to laugh at. They don't think any less of you for it, in fact they probably admire you for it.

Some things I say to draw a crowd are along the lines of "Come here, I'm desperate for attention!" or "Please stay, I don't know any girls."

Those always get big laughs and help me build a crowd. With the wrong delivery they could probably go really wrong, but they work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:17 pm 

I've always found that if you can't laugh at your self, no one else really wants to laugh with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:38 pm 
Penguin

I always thought a good sense of humor starts with being able to laugh at yourself. Otherwise you are just faking humor and repeating banter. To get to the level of improvisation, I'd say you NEED to be able to laugh at yourself. Self depriciate? Who says that by laughing at your own faults you put yourself down?