View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do u know when ur ready?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:26 am 
Penguin

How do u know when your ready to be performing on the street or as a restaurant magician?

I'm from New Orleans so the french quarters right there....I perform for all my friends and family and i never get caught or anything. Its just when I look at performers like Greg Wilson and such...even though i know how he does the trick.i still don't see him doing it. My performances are no where near his....do they even need to be? the guys incredible. I feel like I haven't Mastered any of the tricks in my inventory....

Which brings up another valid quesiton in my mind....is it even possible to MASTER a trick...because theirs always something someone can improve on...unless ur Dai Vernon of course.

i understand ill have come up with a few good routines and such which is really exciting :) haha I love Thanksgiving and Christmas because i spend the month prior working on a few routines to show the family :)

"Knowing a trick just makes you a person who knows how a trick works. Understanding the timing, why a trick works and why you are performing it is what sets the magicians and kids apart."

they also say you learn the quickest by going out and doing it.

so my question is....how do you know when your "ready" for the street or table hopping?

thanks guys,
-DeeMay

Post subject: Re: How do u know when ur ready?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:48 am 
Verified VIP

I'd say the first step is to be able to perform the mechanics of your methods without even thinking. Be able to carry on a totally unrelated conversation while you perform your whole act - rehearse while you're on the phone to check - but be honest with yourself!

After that, it's largely a matter of learning from experience. If you're serious about busking - and others can back me up on this - you get to know others who perform for tips, and you trade notes.

For a crash course, watch Gazzo perform. If you don't have his Street Cups DVD, get it. It's worth it just for the performances. And he's got a great DVD coming out soon - his legendary version of the Tossed Out Deck, which will also be loaded with performances.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 am 
Penguin

alvo wrote:
I'd say the first step is to be able to perform the mechanics of your methods without even thinking. Be able to carry on a totally unrelated conversation while you perform your whole act - rehearse while you're on the phone to check - but be honest with yourself!

After that, it's largely a matter of learning from experience. If you're serious about busking - and others can back me up on this - you get to know others who perform for tips, and you trade notes.

For a crash course, watch Gazzo perform. If you don't have his Street Cups DVD, get it. It's worth it just for the performances. And he's got a great DVD coming out soon - his legendary version of the Tossed Out Deck, which will also be loaded with performances.

This is terrific advice Alvo has given you, and if you can perform your effects while focusing on the spectators, and have the effects you perform become second nature, that is another great sign that you are heading in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:37 pm 
Penguin

Deemay, it sounds like you are ready to start your act on the sidewalk. Do not start off with a big audience. Try a small group of people because you will feel less nervous. When you become more relaxed, you are ready to take on larger crowds in the streets. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:53 pm 
Penguin

You are ready when you can honestly say to yourself that you can flawlessly perform to anything. And, if it doesn't work out, you can always stop, and practice more.
~Ian :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 am 

You're never really "ready" for busking (street magic). You just have to jump in and be bad before you get better. The learning curve can be pretty quick. If your next meal depends on what you get in your hat you learn real quick what works and what doesn't.

My experience in street magic is that although I had good material and the technique, I didn't have the personality (or hunger) to do it more than just occasionally. I now have a much greater respect for those who can do it.

Some say if you can entertain people and not do magic, then you could have a chance of surviving on the street. Some just have a natural gift for that. If you have it, it won't matter what tricks you do. On the other hand, if you don't have it, it also won't matter what tricks you do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:13 pm 
Penguin

thanks everybody for all the helpful advice :)
-DeeMay