View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Busking... Where to start?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:42 pm 
Penguin

Okay, I just heard about the idea of busking the other day. I am really interested in performing publicly, and getting a bit of extra cash. I have done a bit of street magic here and there, but the idea of busking really grabs my attention. I am just wondering if I could have any suggestions on where to actually start? I have already decided that I want to perform a cups and balls/sponge balls routine, but besides that, I have no clue where I should start! Any information is going to be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Post subject: Re: Busking... Where to start?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:38 pm 
born to perform.

WELCOME to Penguin Town, SumoBear!

Begin by watching others who have taken the path as you wish to. YouTube search; busking magic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:32 pm 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
WELCOME to Penguin Town, SumoBear!

Begin by watching others who have taken the path as you wish to. YouTube search; busking magic.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Yes, I looked at some videos on Youtube, and I kinda know what to expect now when I actually go out. But what are some suggestions for preparing myself? What am I actually going to be facing? What do I need? How do I ask without asking for money? I need to know as much as I can... Thanx!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 pm 
born to perform.

First of all you will need thought out and scripted routines that are entertaining and will hold a crowd. In regards to asking what you will be facing, besides a crowd the question seems unclear. You will be facing an audience in which my first sentence applies.
What you will need depends on the routines you plan to perform. Common items are seen in the various busker's vids, mainly a portable performance table but that isn't always the case.
There are a few threads on this topic that you will benefit from.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:25 am 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
First of all you will need thought out and scripted routines that are entertaining and will hold a crowd. In regards to asking what you will be facing, besides a crowd the question seems unclear. You will be facing an audience in which my first sentence applies.
What you will need depends on the routines you plan to perform. Common items are seen in the various busker's vids, mainly a portable performance table but that isn't always the case.
There are a few threads on this topic that you will benefit from.

thank you so much for the information. I am looking forward to delving into the world of buskering. Right now though, I need a plan on how to start working towards actually performing. I am going to be working at getting my routine (with scripting) down perfectly. Where should I go after that though? Is there anything else I need to do before I begin performing? I would appreciate any information I could get. I have been browsing the other threads on the subject, and have been learning lots. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:35 am 

OK, start by getting "Tales of the Street" by Kozmo. Then get 3 effects, get them PERFECT. (the street is unforgiving) then start out. First draw a tip (crowd) I don't start until I have 5 people. Then start your first effect, remember to use a LOUD voice, you want to attract more people to the tip. As you finish the first effect start your hat lines, letting themn know you are going to pass the hat and want money put in. Tehn your middle effect with more hat lines, finally the ending BIG EFFECT and at the end you walk around with your hat out to get money put in. Total run time 15 minutes MAX.

You will SUCK when you start. We all did, it's the only way to learn, but KEEP KICKING IT!! Don't get discouraged because you will get better. Don't expect to make what Bobby Maverick, Kozmo, or I make starting out. Heck, I remember getting $2 in the hat and $20 days. Now, on a weekday I work until I hit $100 minimum, if the tips are good I'll put in 3 hours and make more. On a weekend my goal is min $500 a day or 4 hours if the hats are big enough. But I have done this for about 15 years so don't expect to get that this year. remember, short shows done often and hat the crap out of them.

Paddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:23 am 
born to perform.

...Words from a veteran busker!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:58 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
OK, start by getting "Tales of the Street" by Kozmo. Then get 3 effects, get them PERFECT. (the street is unforgiving) then start out. First draw a tip (crowd) I don't start until I have 5 people. Then start your first effect, remember to use a LOUD voice, you want to attract more people to the tip. As you finish the first effect start your hat lines, letting themn know you are going to pass the hat and want money put in. Tehn your middle effect with more hat lines, finally the ending BIG EFFECT and at the end you walk around with your hat out to get money put in. Total run time 15 minutes MAX.

You will SUCK when you start. We all did, it's the only way to learn, but KEEP KICKING IT!! Don't get discouraged because you will get better. Don't expect to make what Bobby Maverick, Kozmo, or I make starting out. Heck, I remember getting $2 in the hat and $20 days. Now, on a weekday I work until I hit $100 minimum, if the tips are good I'll put in 3 hours and make more. On a weekend my goal is min $500 a day or 4 hours if the hats are big enough. But I have done this for about 15 years so don't expect to get that this year. remember, short shows done often and hat the crap out of them.

Paddy

Thanks so much for the information! It is going to really help me out! I have somewhat of a routine down. I am doing some card tricks, then cups and balls and ending with my sponge ball routine..... does that sound like a good busking routine? I am going to be constructing a portable table too. One question though. What are some good hat lines that will make people laugh, while still letting them know that i need tips? Also, Is it necessary that i use standard street cups? Right now I am using stackable metal drinking glasses, and they always work great for me. Should I invest in some quality cups? Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:41 pm 
Penguin

Don't end with spong balls end with the cups and balls.I believe your cups will work fine save your money.If it looks like you are going to stay a busker buy a good set later when you have more money.Here are some hat lines.

I don't get paid to be here and entertain you nice folks...you pay me...its not funny anymore huh.You get to decide what my show was worth...after the show.Don't you wish you could do this with every show you went to....pay after you see it. If you think my show was worth $20....put a twenty in my hat....if you think my show worth $1 ....put a twenty in my hat....no reason for both of us being disapointed.If you don't have any money at all...thats ok I have been there myself before....there is an ATM maching just around the cornor....it only spits out twenties.

Please come forward and shake my hand if you are truely broke to let me know you had a good time...thank you one and all....you have been a wonderful audience....a little slow over on this side... but other than that...a good audience.

Here is my hat please step forward and put some GREEN in it....Thank you and good day...

Go have some fun now....
Don

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:20 pm 

Don is like me, we've both been around since Christ was a Sergeant Major, those are some great hat lines. He is also right about your finale. I'd start with the sponge balls, then the cards and end with the cups & balls. I vary my ending between Cups & balls and a chop cup routine with a borrowed, signed bill in a lemon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:50 pm 
born to perform.

My show has fluctuated- I'm only 17 but have been busking for almost 3 years.

I don't start until I get a bigger crowd- but I prefer a slow build myself before I do any magic. Listen to Paddy and Don (ESPECIALLY Don...no offense Paddy :D)

My routine now is Gazzo's Tossed Out Deck, spongebunnies, and then a straitjacket escape. My show has been doing very well and my hats are getting pretty consistent and bigger each time I go out and perform.

My problem is transitions right now so I'm trying to get everything to flow better. You always are changing your street show and learning new things about it everytime you perform.

I started with 3 tricks and a pretty scripted show, I've found that the real good lines and jokes comes from the moment and then you script them into your show. Never stay TOO scripted and allow for real audience interaction (at least that's what I've found).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am 
Penguin

Wow, thanks so much for all the information guys! It is helping me out a lot.
I do have a few other questions though. You all are saying save the cups and balls for last. Why is that? What I am planning on doing is a few card tricks while the crowd grows a bit, then once I have quite a few people, I am going to start the cups and balls where I introduce the sponge balls at the end. I am then going to perform something similar to Jay Noblezada's sponge routine where all the sponge balls disappear.
If I were to do the cups and balls last, the surprise of the sponge balls under the cups would not be as dramatic as they have already seen them once before. Curious what you guys can tell me about this....
Also, I am going to obviously need a table for my routine. I have seen some of the other pictures posted on the other threads, but should I make a table or buy one? And what should it look like? I know at home I practice with an ironing board because the height is adjustable and the top is padded. Should it look somewhat like that?
One other thing, I have not selected a card trick for my routine yet, but I want it to be dramatic without using a gimmicked deck. Any suggestions on what I should perform?
Thanks again for all of your help!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 am 
Penguin

Cups and balls is the strongest effect you have.Always save the best for last.You shouldn't bring your spongballs out of the cup in the first place.Produce something solid from your cups.Fruit is always good.

Paddy just explaned how to make a table in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135078&start=15

As for what card effects you should use,it dosen't matter as long as you do them well.Start out with card effects that you have done before and know.

Don

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm 
Penguin

DonDriver wrote:
Cups and balls is the strongest effect you have.Always save the best for last.You shouldn't bring your spongballs out of the cup in the first place.Produce something solid from your cups.Fruit is always good.

Paddy just explaned how to make a table in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135078&start=15

As for what card effects you should use,it dosen't matter as long as you do them well.Start out with card effects that you have done before and know.

Don

Okay, thanks so much for all of the help. I am going to be getting Kozmo's busking dvd with my next Penguin order. I am also going to be converting either an ironing board or a tv dinner table to a busking table. About the table though, how high should it be in relation to myself? I am like 6' 3" but I don't want it so high that people cant see everything that is happening. But more importantly I need to be comfortable with the height of the table. How high would you say it should be?
I will also most likely be performing cups and balls last in my routine. Why do you not recommend bringing sponge balls from under the cup? They are a lot easier to handle that an apple or a lemon right? And wont the effect be just as strong with sponges if they are big ones? Curious what your thoughts are on this.
I still need a hard hitting card trick with an ungimmicked deck. I have not performed a lot of card magic, and I don't know a lot of card tricks, and especially not any really really hard hitting ones, but I am willing to put a lot of practice into something stunning if you can give me some recommendations?
Thanks again for all of your help! I am really excited about this!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:10 pm 
Penguin

Sponge balls squeeze up and the audience might think you just had them hid under the cup.A fruit is something everybody has seen and knows is a very solid.

Here are some GREAT books and DVDs on card magic.

http://dennymagic.com/products/card-mag ... y-lorayne/

http://dennymagic.com/products/card-mag ... y-lorayne/

Harry has other books out and some DVDs I like books better.

http://dennymagic.com/products/dvd/skin ... -up-1-dvd/ Michael did 4 DVDs in all and his magic effects are top notch.

And last you ask about a table. "How high would you say it should be? " Come on...do some thinking for yourself.

Don