View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Here we go...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:50 pm 
Penguin

It's been years.

It's been years since I've come to these forums. It's been years since I've gotten in touch with the magic community... and, even when I checked these forums on a more regular basis, I was always a lurker. Here I am posting again after spending a great deal of time researching... because, honestly put, I need some help.

Before that, hi. Hello again. To those who may know me by my name, hi.

I've been busy. My name is Felice, and I have just turned 23. I graduated college with a bachelor's degree last year, moved down south to Memphis to teach in a start-up charter school that's struggling financially, and - to make a long, complicated story short - have just been laid off from my first job for budget reasons.

As a magician, I've been involved in the art for the past eight years now. I performed semi-professionally as a college student, doing weekly half-hour long, close-up shows for various dormitories on campus (a new show per semester). I gave a one-hour long parlor-style show each year I was on campus. More recently, I performed a comedy-stage children's act with a colleague for my elementary school students in a gym. My friend and I built a sub-trunk, pulled together an enjoyable (I thought..) good pirate/evil pirate show, and had lots of fun.

On a more regular basis, I perform socially for friends and acquaintances at parties and other gatherings. It's been a long time since I've learned any new effects, and I have so many things that I have on my shelf that I haven't performed in so long... that I feel like it'd be a waste for me to go out and get new things.

That said, I have a decent repertoire of effects that I pull out whenever I perform. All of these routines are simple - they are what I learned long ago... what I can perform well and naturally. My repertoire isn't huge, my magic is simple, but my character's been developed over the years into something that fits me.

I am giving you this brief background of my relationship with magic for one main reason: I want you to know where I am coming from when I ask for your help.

Without a job and with rent to worry about, this will be the first time in my life when I will have to depend entirely on magic as my income. Magic is just about to transform from a very serious hobby to a very enjoyable job. It's an exciting and horrifying thought.

I am in Memphis. And I think it's time I set out and try my hand at busking.

I need help. The only resource that I have that tells me anything about busking is a DVD of Gazzo's Street Cups and Balls that I set aside years ago because I didn't have the money to invest in a pouch, though I always had the intention to learn the routine. I have two sets of Penguin's cups and balls... (I think Penguin had a giveaway for them once upon a time). And I have my years of experience as a hobbyist magician that I need to convert into a serious street job.

My attempts to research Memphis' laws on busking permits have failed. I need help and ideas for good pitches when it appears as though there aren't a lot of buskers around. I have seen musicians and flippers (think street-performing acrobats) every so often on Beale Street.

And... frankly, I need help with knowing what I need to do to put together a show. I've got some money saved up, but I know it's going to start going down fast if I go around trying to make too many purchases. I need to prioritize and spend wisely.

From what I've gathered, I should make a table and get a pouch (if I were to end with a cups and balls routine). I can use the magic I know to make up the rest of the show. What's the best times to perform? How long should I go for? And - as a young woman performing out there on her own - what kind of places would be the safest place to set up a show?

I greatly appreciate any help and information that you guys can give me. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Here we go...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 am 

Quote:
I am in Memphis. And I think it's time I set out and try my hand at busking.

I need help. The only resource that I have that tells me anything about busking is a DVD of Gazzo's Street Cups and Balls that I set aside years ago because I didn't have the money to invest in a pouch, though I always had the intention to learn the routine. I have two sets of Penguin's cups and balls... (I think Penguin had a giveaway for them once upon a time). And I have my years of experience as a hobbyist magician that I need to convert into a serious street job.

My attempts to research Memphis' laws on busking permits have failed. I need help and ideas for good pitches when it appears as though there aren't a lot of buskers around. I have seen musicians and flippers (think street-performing acrobats) every so often on Beale Street.

And... frankly, I need help with knowing what I need to do to put together a show. I've got some money saved up, but I know it's going to start going down fast if I go around trying to make too many purchases. I need to prioritize and spend wisely.

From what I've gathered, I should make a table and get a pouch (if I were to end with a cups and balls routine). I can use the magic I know to make up the rest of the show. What's the best times to perform? How long should I go for? And - as a young woman performing out there on her own - what kind of places would be the safest place to set up a show?

I greatly appreciate any help and information that you guys can give me. Thank you.
OK, first off you made some assumptions and you know what "assume" means. You do NOT need the cups & balls so forget that. As for a table, get a restaurant tray jack, put a 22" x 12" shelf you get from Home Depot and your ready.

Next, the "permit" crap. You are now a BUSKER and the rules are simple #1, thru #10 state "it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." Just DO IT and if a cop hassles you just say "sorry sir" and go someplace else.

Now the hard part your act. take the 3 effects that are your best, that you can do in your sleep. Arrange them in order as opener crowd builder and finale and rehearse the crap out of a 15 minute show (called a sidewalk show.) Then hit the streets and keep running the show. As soon as you finish one show start crowd building for the next show.

Are you going to suck? Yep, we ALL suck when we start but we keep kicking butt until we get better, and you will get better. You're not going to hit the hundred dollar hats per show, but if you get up to even $10 per show you are going to average $30 an hour on the street and as you get better the money goes up.

Gazzo does what we call "circle" shows that run 30 to 40 minutes per show. He can do that most of us can't I would FAIL if I tried it. But I make good money as a full time busker. BIG HINT the tricks mean zilch the ENTERTAINMENT brings in the bucks! be funny = make money

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:21 pm 
Penguin

Thank you very much.

Because of your advice, I decided not to spend the next week thinking about busking. Instead, I went out and performed today.

Woah. Huge adrenaline rush. I did two 20 minute shows on a college campus where I was the only busker around. It was the best trafficked (?) area that I could think of on a Monday afternoon... and I managed to hit the place during their lunch rush. I left earlier than I would have liked because my phone died.. and I didn't feel too comfortable being alone someplace strange without a phone.

Had lots of fun. I'll try and go back tomorrow... use that spot for weekday afternoons and whatnot. So thank you. I still have a lot to work on, but I can at least go out and busk and learn at the same time.

Paddy, out of curiosity - what time do you think is a good time to set out? And what time to pack everything up? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:00 pm 

I get on the street no later than 10AM. The only reason is to set up my pitch before other buskers get there but if you're the only one don't worry just get t5here before the crowds start to get big. As for leaving, again remember I have been doing this for years so my approach is more professional. I set a goal of how much I want to make that day ($100 a weekday and $500 on a weekend) and I work until I make that as a minimum. Then if I make it quickly I will stay until I get tired or too hot. Some days I can pull it off in a couple hours ($100) other days it takes 5 or 6 hours to get the $100 on weekends I have made the 500 in as short as 3 hours but usually it takes 5 or 6 to make my mi8nimum. While you are learning I say stay on the street as long as you can. Some days you'll suck and want to bail out early, DON'T! Keep going and don't let the punters get to you stay funny stay upbeat never let them see you sweat and the money will come in.