View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What trick got you the best reaction?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:22 am 
Penguin

Out of all your tricks which ones seem to consistently baffle your audience? Why do you think it works so well?

Post subject: Re: What trick got you the best reaction?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:55 pm 
born to perform.

This should probably be posted in the General Discussion forum. And I'm 98% sure it has been asked before. You could probably find an old topic in there if you use the search bar. Be careful of reviving old topics for no reason though... if you're 3 years late, people might just consider it clutter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:00 pm 
born to perform.

Wait for it. Wait for it ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:57 pm 
Penguin

Michael Maxwell's Anywhere Card. It gets em every time! (the DVD description says: "Michael Maxwell's Anywhere Cards, an incredible effect wherein two selected cards magically travel to two impossible locations!")

... and if it is a topic from 3 years ago... it IS a new topic. New tricks and new members. :D

~Edit~
Well apparently the trick does not belong to Michael Maxwell. I got it on a DVD he made. I found that it was published in Frank Zak's One Man Parade in the Linking Ring in April of 1984. Additionally, Mr. Zak won an award of Merit for the creation. It is still an awesome card trick!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:55 pm 
born to perform.

Tukaram wrote:
if it is a topic from 3 years ago... it IS a new topic. New tricks and new members. :D

I'm not putting him down... it's just a thing that users have frowned upon in the past. Contributes to clutter in the boards with multiple topics for no reason or no new contributions to the idea. And no, it's not a new topic. Contributing something new to the old topic is a better idea.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm 
Penguin

best trick best reactions sugar rush by platt magic!
but thats because i have a kick as routine!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 am 
Penguin

Ignition

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:49 am 

Any effect that I am doing at the time. Very seriously, if you think it is the effect that get the reaction, please take up some other hobby, like being a steeplejack.

It is NOT the "trick" it is the performance of the "trick" that gets reactions. I have gone up against some guys that were performing bill to lemon, Liquid metal and other kick butt effects, both on the pitch and in contests. I use just a simple rope routine that starts with a 10 foot length of rope and ends with my version of fiber optics. And I have WON! in the contests and made bigger hats on the pitch. Not every time but enough. Some of the guys I know are as good, or even better, performers than I am. The key is to be better today than you were yesterday. Make every performance into a learning experience. When you stop learning from you're performance, QUIT, because you've either gotten a case of felonious stupidity or you died and are on your way to the cemetery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 pm 
Penguin

When it comes to One on One magic, my best reaction came from an Ellis Ring finale :) put it on their thumb (thumbs up position), covered with bandana, took ring off, and threw the ring through the bandana. INSTANT jaw dropping goodness ;)

When it comes to multiple people, or being surrounded (only happened twice for me), due to my lack of big effects; Sponge Balls were a killer :) Eric Jones' "Eye Candy" routine (taught on An Extention of Me) did a FANTASTIC job in wowing everybody involved. Plus I was using Blue sponge balls, so I got to make a lot of immature jokes that kept the mood going good :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 am 
Penguin

Wow! This is a fantastic question. I'm not yelling this, it just requires that I drive the point home: ANY MAGIC THAT HAPPENS IN THE SPECTATOR'S HANDS, period!!! This devastatingly powerful secret can be used to open or close your show. Use it wisely, this is the kind of advice that you struggle for years to un-earth. It's an open secret but it may very well get flamed for dragging this out into the open and pointing at it. It's worth a lot of money to the street performer.

I would highly recommend studying the books (and dvds) of Eugene Burger and Max Maven, both masters of this angle on magic (they've done all the work for you, it just requires some intense study of their books: Kryptonite to the generation of instant gratification).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Penguin

Ultimate Transpo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am 
Penguin

I gotta agree with you Swayze. If it happens in their hands it seems to always get a different kind of reaction than other magic. A DL turns into a miracle if you put it in the spectators hands.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:54 pm 
Penguin

Oh, and Juan Tamariz wrote a whole book about this 'in the spectator's hands' secret...the exact title of which slips my mind at the moment. Everything this guy puts out is GOLD I tell you, GOLD! His book Mneumonica kept me up for days; it's on the memorized stack.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:27 pm 
Penguin

clutch , two card monte , stigmata/word in a million , my rubber band routine that I do / and biddle trick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:05 am 
Penguin

For me, Deep Astonishment by Paul Harris gets them every, single, time. People still talk about it years later, and they still want me to perform that trick to this day. The Cards across is another gem that never fails. Now that I think of it, I'll just make a short list in no particular order:

Deep Astonishment
Cards Across
Linking Finger Rings
Card on Ceiling (By Ammar or Eason - either version is gold)
Sinful
Watch Routine (By Osterlind)
ACE (Richard Sanders newest gem)
Stigmata
Liquid Metal
Chop (By Craig Petty - an act on it's own)
Anniversary Waltz (Doc Eason version - Words can't describe the reactions)
Red Hot Mamma in wallet (Dan Fleshman's routine on this I use all the time and never fails)
My Favorite Opener (By Bill Malone - One of THE quickest most hard hitting effects you can perform)
Ring and String routine w/ring flight kicker ending (Blows their minds)
Bill in Cigarette
Magazine Test (By Osterlind - Man does this kill)
Invisible Deck
Quick Matrix (By Ponta the Smith - Jaws literally drop when performing this)
Ambitious Card
Torn and Restored Newspaper (By Osterlind - Absolutely dumbfounds people)
Linking Rings (close-up or stage, it doesn't matter)
Nail Writing effects (virtually any effect with a NW floors people, I can't think of one that don't)

I'll stop here just to be polite. Like Patty said, it's not the song, it's the singer, and magic is the same way. You can make the simplest trick have the greatest reactions if you present it right, however the routines above IMO, are so strong and speak so loudly of themselves on their own, that you could still get the greatest reactions of your life with them and not have to know a thing about presentation as these tricks will speak for themselves. All of these effects have either gotten me bookings or have gotten me booked again. NONE of them have EVER failed me when I want to wow someone. What's cool about these tricks is virtually all of them I can carry with me and almost all of them fit in my pockets. There's a few that don't like the TRN newspaper and the magazine test, but the rest can go in my pockets pretty easily and all of them travel very light. Granted I don't have all of these with me at all times whenever I leave the house, but as far as my "go to" tricks, these IMO are as good as it gets when it comes to pure astonishment.