View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: a duty for all of us
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:34 pm 
born to perform.

Ok magicguy, I can do all of his tricks without camera or editing cheats except for his "levitation" which is such a disgrace that he would lie like that. He's not an *advanced* magician but he is an adavnced showman. Unless I'm being painfully naive, his tricks are all possible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:26 pm 
Penguin

Peedle. Before i get on your bad side, let me attemp to explain myself. I do not question the fact that you can do or recreate the tricks he does, as sio can I and i have. My biggest problem (other then the leviatation, which btw i liked how you worded that) with him is that he doesn't show the whole thing. Almost every trick he does, the camera cuts away to look at something else, when the "magic" is really happening. Be it a switch, false shuffle, or whatever, it never seems to fail that he uts away. Misdirection is not easy to do on camera, and i feel he shortcuts it for the TV audience. I don't doubt your skill, or the fact that David Blaine does have some. However, i am really turned off at him and disappointed, from a magician's perspective, as he has become a rising icon for the world of magic. Tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:50 am 
Penguin

When people reveal how a trick is done to someone who isn't serious about performing and doesn't even know the magicians oath then it stops being magic and turns into a cheap party trick and all of the original intent is lost

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:51 pm 
Penguin

I have to say that I kindly dis-agree with submagi. Why do we "NEED" people like the masked magician? Even if we didn't have him, we (magicians) would still continue to advance and make new tricks. Advancements are inevitable. The whole purpose of creating new tricks is to offer the audiece something new when they tire of the same old tricks. Even if there never was a masked magician, new tricks would still come out. And it doesn't even matter if the audience doesn't remember the secrets. It's the PRINCIBLE!!! If this guy is giving away the secrets to all these illusions, regardless of what they are, then he should not even be called a magician.