View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a duty for all of us
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:05 pm 
Penguin

you know, i've been blessed to be stricken by magic. although it's only been less then a year i've been performing, i've accomplished alot. i've performed at local schools, at birthday parties for kids and so on. and i want to continue doing this cause that's when i feel the best. that's when i feel the most alive. but the true reason why i'm writting here at the moment is to ask for all the magicians out there to not reveal the secrets. we already have enough of this masked magician that appears on t.v and let's the whole world know how the tricks our done. we don't need more people like him. and besides we work so hard to make a trick real for people. we are magicians after all. and our job is to make believers out of non believers. just like blaine does. and so when we come out and tell everybody how we do the trick we kinda piss on blaine,houdini,cardini all of the great magicians that have paved the way for us. thanks again. Luc Prevost p.s it be cool to hear from other great young magicans out there and see how they are coming along with their own things p.p.s blaine, when your mom told you that time would tell if the heart is an ace, i'm pretty sure she knew you would ake her proud. cause you sure made me proud

Post subject: Re: a duty for all of us
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:43 pm 
Penguin

Good post, Luc. I agree. Luckily the Masked Magician only really hurts the top few performers and not the average magician because he only reveals high profile stage illusions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:30 pm 
Penguin

yeah but still, it started off with the msk magicians and how do we know that one day, maybe someone otu there will be going on t.v telling people how we do street magic. some people out there don't really care about the work we put into accomplishing things and so they go out looking for easy money by telling people how we do street tricks. LUc Prevost bigguy_luc@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:59 pm 

good point

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:30 pm 
Penguin

Yes, agreed, i like magic and the secrets our only for the ones that put in the time to research them, practice them, and perfect them. They are not to be given away just because they don't mean much to the person giving them. It's just not right.Remember the old saying, "Don't give your tricks away, because then you stink". Ya, just think, you'll remember that saying don't worry. So anywayz, nice post and GOD BLESS MAGIC!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:53 pm 
Penguin

i've heard your argument before, but I disagree. Big deal if this guy reveals a few secrets. Go up to any person and ask if they've seen the masked magician's show. If they did ask them if they remember any of the effects that he revealed. If your lucky they'll remember one effect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:18 pm 
Penguin

lol...wow...i can't even remember one...i think except some elephanT and mirror one

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:58 pm 
Penguin

No offense, but I don't think you think wisely. Nevertheless you're a close-minded person too. Do you realize he opened people views and more people started looking at magic and more people started the art of conjuring? It may seem like he was an idiot and he was -- but new ideas, methods, and effects are invented every day. Furthermore he revealed more big stage illusions that (hopefully) nobody cares about. It's not like anybody here is going to buy an 80 ton truck and vanish it. Just giving a different view... BTW nobody "pisses" on Richard Pitchford (cardini), or David Verner (dai vernon for you novices), or slydini, or fakini, or anybody -- they just don't their patter, and because they don't use their patter they don't talk about them unless it is an effect of theirs, like my favorite change, the snap change by Edward Marlo. -Max

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:05 pm 
Penguin

By the way luc, it was offensive to me how you said blaine "paved our way" HAH! Pure BS... he uses editting and amateur coin switches for "impossible" effects.... blaine is nothing... he isn't even a magician... if you don't believe me listen to HIM say it hisself on carson daly's late night show... he says himself he isn't a "magician", which the word itself is overused and sounds stupid compared to "conjurer". Blaine isn't a magician. Oh and by the way, nobody reveals tricks... the people who reveal tricks is like the percent of people like you -- people who whine about people revealing them... The fact is, don't worry about it luc, conjuring has been going on since Zoroaster... you people probably don;t even know who he was. Oh well. Lets just say it's been going on since Moses turned his staff into a snake... --Max

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:25 pm 
born to perform.

Location: I shall not capitulate... no never. I may be destroyed, but if I am, I shall drag a world with me...
I haven't read all the posts in this thread yet so i dont know if anyone agrees with me or not. But in my opinion we need people to reveal our secrets, we NEED people like the masked magician. If people like him weren't around magicians ould be using the same old tricks for years. But when he reveals a secret it makes magicians try harder to come up with new tricks. It makes then think more creativly, it makes them come out with tricks 2 time better and harder to figure out. So finally i say, god bless the masked magician.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:27 pm 
Penguin

I kind of agree with you submagi... we dont NEED it but it is in most ways good. Luc has no idea what he is talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:33 pm 
born to perform.

Blaine is a simple magician. Although simple magic is sometimes the stuff that looks the best. Sure his effects aren't hard and we all know how to do them, but you must admit he is a very good performer. Which is the key to magic. It's not what effects you know how to do, or which sleights and passes you can perform, it's HOW you do that. And David Blaine has learned the right way to do his overly simple effects. He's a crowd pleaser, what other purpose is there for being a magician?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:28 pm 
Penguin

I agree with Peedldude. Although Blain mostly does tricks that are simple, I think that he has the ability and skill to do more complex magic but CHOOSES not to. For example... if you saw his special, how many people you know have practiced enough to be able shoot cards so fast and catch them so it looks almost invisible. Maybe i'm all wrong and that is easy or just something with the camera but he looks experienced to me. Take a Picasso or something... Does'nt it look like a two year old could draw a better picture? Why is he so famous then? The reason is is that he is soooo experienced that he realizes art and beuaty (sorry for my spelling) can be so simple. That is what I think about Blain. He dosn't need to do bigger and better stuff to gain fame.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:46 pm 
Penguin

Let's get one thing straight, Blaine does not suck as a magician. A: If the point of magic is to entertain. He has succeeded. AND, don't say, "I could do the same thing if I had a TV special". Some people have charisma that puts them over. Very few people are the types that others are drawn too. He is one of them. It's why people love Mel Gibson or Brad Pitt, even though they may not be the Lawrence Olivier's of acting. It's the "IT factor" as they say. Blaine has "it". B: He has skill. According to his bio, he used to practice 8 hours a day. He started learning when he was 4. He was performing in grade school. He performed in restaraunts. He learned from good people and even performed at parties for celebrities and VIPs. The guy has skill. But every single magician who I've ever got advice from has said the same thing to me, "The best magic is the simplest magic." My honest opinion is that anyone who critizes David Blaine for being "lucky" or having a lack of skill is just plain jealous of his success. Plain and simple.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:33 pm 
Penguin

I whole heartedly agree. david Blaine is probably the worst magician i have seen (although chris angel did kinda scare me :) ) His "magic" lies in the hands of his producers and camera men. The few "tricks" he does do on his own (note the word few) are destroyed by 1)lack of patter or creativity 2)the repetion of people screaming and the wasted time he spends telling us absolutely nothing. he has more music interludes and previews for his big "trick" (which frankly, isn't magc, just stupid or well contrived) Tip for ya: Keep the magic real. Be creative and make your own stuff, then you wont have to worry about anyone taking it from you