View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Outlaw Effects
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 am 
born to perform.

I see that Penguin is carrying six mentalism effects by Outlaw Effects. If you are not familiar with Outlaw, they have some of the most unique and creative tools being created for mentalism. I have at least $1,500 worth of Outlaw Effects...I'm a big fan their work. Outlaw Effects is in the bizarre magic arena. Bizarre magic has many definitions. I would say my definition is storytelling meets mentalism. Much of Outlaw's stuff is handmade and expensive. However these 6 items are well within the reach of most mentalists. I don't have Psi Card or Lunaria but I do have the other 4 products.

One admission, I have not had these had these items for very long and have only tried them out on real folks a few times. I'm currently in grad school so my performance opportunities are not plentiful at the moment.

You're going to need some excellent presentational skills to use these items. Most of these are going to take some story telling. You could probably use them for a quick hit routine but you are going to miss the true power that comes from painting a detailed picture and sucking the spectator into the story.

Sanctum 2

Sanctum 2 is a membership card to a secret society. Outlaw provides you with the background story about the society. On the front of the card is the membership seal and some spooky & bizzare icons. There are a couple warm-up routines that you can do based on the symbols. Again, this is not a cut and dried routine. You'll need some intermediate presentational skills and some balls to pull these off. Things are not always going to work! But that all part of the show with Sanctum. You don't get a good hit from the spec? NO worries, you blaze on to the back of the card. This is where the real strength of the routine lies. The spectator is going to describe the sanctum meeting room in great detail. Then you show them the picture and it matches the description in great detail. Again, I have not done this routine yet, but I have done Sanctum 4...

Sanctum 4

Sanctum 4 carries on the Sanctum story line but it takes on a different form. Sanctum 4 is a ticket to a carnival. If you've ever seen "Something Wicked This Way Comes" you'll get a good mental picture. (If you have not seen this movie, I highly recommend it). The front is different and has some routining options. Remember, this is like a utility tool. It's meant for you to think up creative ways to use it! The back is a scene from a gypsy fortune teller's wagon. There is a great back story that is provided. You can start with the story and make it your own creation. Like Sanctum 2, you can place the spectator into a trace-like state and they can see the inside of the room in great detail. The time on the clock, the items on the gypsy's table, etc. This is not beginner material! However, if you have good story telling and acting skills, you'll feel right at home and have a blast. I have performed Sanctum 4 and it works...this can be really strong.

(8/10)

Reflections

This is a kick a$$ book test that does not look like a book test. I've done Rachel Colombini's book test before and loved it. However, this is a different animal than having someone open a book and divining a word. This is much more.

Again, this has a strong back story. The study of paranormal in the university setting. This book looks like the real thing. I do have the hardcover version which is not for sale at Penguin. However, I'm told the softcover looks terrific as well. Reflections combines several principles.

The books has three parts to the routine. The planetary test - the working of the first test will cleverly disguise the transition to the next test. The book has 100s of sentences that are designed to evoke emotions. The spectator concentrates on one of the 100s of sentences and you are able to accurately describe the emotion that the sentence evokes! There is an option ESP symbol you can divine as well. The last test is a mind melter. The spectator looks at a list of memories (these are common memories we all share like a first date or kiss). No words pass between you and the spectator and yet you know which memory they picked! Essentially, this is the Kioku effect embedded in the book.

Reflections takes some memorization and audience management. You can expand Reflections by doing a little cold reading along the way for a terrific 10 minute routine.

(9/10)

Kioku

The spectator is given 4 cards that indicate a memory pattern test. Each card lists a list of memories. The spectator looks at a list of memories (these are common memories we all share). No words pass between you and the spectator and yet you know which memory they picked!

I don't do this effect per se because I think Reflections is a more versitle routine. I also don't do this effect because I also own Outlaw Effect's Jinn Box which also uses the Kioku principle.

The Jinn Box is awesome and I would give it (10/10). Really strong.
Based on the effectiveness of the Jinn Box I give Kioku (8/10). Perhaps not as strong because there is less of a premise to work with. Bottomline is that Kioku is a strong effect that just seems impossible *IF* you can weave a story and manage the spectator's handling of the cards.

Tim W

Post subject: Re: Outlaw Effects
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am 
Penguin

tbwendt wrote:
...I have at least $1,500 worth of Outlaw Effects...I'm a big fan their work...Tim W

I just discovered this (manufacturer) through some surfing. Do they stil maintain their website and forum? What do you think of some of their wallets?

For years I have been looking for an appropriate coin to give better impact for my "Gypsy Curse" routine. (I have the original set of Gypsy Curse cards--the ones printed before they started selling the glossy cards). I believe my search is over--The "Relic" or medallion sold by Outlaw looks like a fit. You're right. They produce top notch stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:45 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, Outlaw is still producing new products. I think Penguin has started selling some of their smaller items. I have the Showdown wallet on order. All of their wallets get great reviews.

A word of caution. Outlaw products are very, very good but many of them are hand made and getting the product shipped can take from a few weeks to a several months. So if you are not patient, you may be disappointed.

I had a customized Key Box made for me and it took about 3 months. I have several things on order that are taking much longer. Some items I received in less than 2 weeks.

I have the Templar silver coin and it is BEAUTIFUL. The Relic is a similar product and it does look very authentic.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:07 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the review and the heads-up. I know what it is like to wait (from ordering hand crafted items from Delben. I'm willing to wait if the maker is trustworthy.