View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What are your opinions on the following tricks:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:30 am 
Penguin

What do you guys think of the following tricks: The Scotch and Soda, the Dime and Penny, the coinbite and the stripper deck. I'm thinking of purchasing these and I want to know anyone's opinion on them. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: What are your opinions on the following tricks:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:15 pm 
Penguin

stripper deck is awesome.....u can show them the cards and they can shuffle the deck and the tricks are unbelievably simple...cant comment on the others cause i dont have them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:33 pm 
Penguin

scotch and soda and dime and penny do basically the same tricks. I prefer scotch and soda because the half dollar size is more common to the type of tricks i do. plus the larger size is easier to handle for some of the tricks i do. they both work the same and they both are very versitle. great staples to have in any act. i don't have a coin bite from PM- I do the coinbite with a 3 in 1 quarter. but i don't do coinbite that often so you might want that one if you just planned on doing that trick. the stripper is my favorite gimmicked deck because it can be examined and there you can do anything with a stripper that you could with a regular deck. everything you're looking at would be good to have. hope that helps. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:44 pm 
born to perform.

I'm probably the only one alive who prefers dime and penny over Scotch and Soda. The reason is because I do impromptu magic. A Kennedy 50cent coin is not common nowadays (plus I'm from Canada and use different currecy, which is another issue) and so it REEKS of pre-arrangement, let alone a Mexican centavo. The best arguement FOR uncommon coins is that people want to see "something exotic" when they are entertained by magic. Yeah, that makes sense... if you are doing a magic show or routine. But I do David Blaine type impromptu street stuff. I don't use anything I couldn't borrow off someone. That means common coins, pens, rings, keys, credit cards, gum, lipbalm rubberbands, and on RARE occasions, cards. That's what impromtu is all about.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:00 pm 
born to perform.

For that exact reason you mentioned - I dont sell the half dollar version - I sell the vodka and orange juice - It starts out with a quarter and a gold sacajawea $$ - They trabsform to a quarter and a penny.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:08 pm 
Penguin

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:26 pm 
born to perform.

Coinbite rocks. People love it because its so unexpected. I think the spectator thinks "Oh isn't that cute he switched out my coin for one he filed down to make it look like he bit the coin. How quaint" But then they totally aren't prepared to see you spit it back into one piece. That's the beauty of this trick - the "oh how cute" to "oh MY GOD!!!" aspect. They'll talk about it for quite a while. Stripper deck, best thing about is that its examinable, and a regular deck for all other purposes. Let your imagination do the rest. Very versatile.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:44 pm 
Penguin

Thanks adrianbent1.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:49 pm 
Penguin

Thanks adrian. Since you mention about a regular deck, I was wondering if the two card monte is hard to do. What do you think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:00 pm 

josh -- about vodka and OJ I heard the dollar was gimmicked and the quarter wasn't. For this reason i didnt get it, but is that not true?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:59 pm 
born to perform.

Vodka&OJ are the exact same trick as Scotch & Soda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:01 pm 
born to perform.

hmagic, I hope I wasn't misunderstood. Stripper deck can be used AS a regular deck. I hope I didn't communicate myself to make it sound like Stripper deck AND a regular deck like I was talking about 2 separate items. No, I meant it as one in the same. 2 Card monte... great effect, practice your DL's.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:29 pm 
Emperor Penguin

There's also another version of Scotch & Soda called "Coin Unique", made with a Half Dollar and a Quarter. A little expensive though, it sells for $ 55. Someone mentioned 2 Card Monte...you can get the instructions free on some sites...do a search on google.com. Find the instructions for it and you can print them out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:05 pm 
Penguin

Ok..thanks again adrian. That's cool that the stripper deck can be used as a regular deck. Also thanks for the advice on 2 card monte.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

Uhm, my advice is if you do tricks or play cards with people who you will show the stripper deck to (by that I mean tricks with it) never show up and just start doing amazing things from scratch, it tips them off to something. Everyone at my lunch table thinks im an amazing card manipulator or something because I rarely lose at card games, and in reality, yes I'm stacking the deck, but I havent dared to use the stripper deck yet. Going from barely shuffling to amazing feats overnight is impossible, work your way up slowly.