View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FROZEN GLOW by Peter Loughran - My review
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:29 am 
born to perform.

FROZEN GLOW by Peter Loughran - My review

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qbc8TS0GG0

Price: $34.99

Buy it: Don't bother

I think the demo is highly misleading for Frozen Glow. Several times you see a perfect, equally dark square of green on a playing card which is completely unrealistic. Then in the actual performances you see a huge blob on the card with different shades of green which is more realistic but still not 100% in my opinion. The reality is your spectator will get a distinct green glow on the back of their card in a semi-square shape that's not very dark. If it IS DARK like on the demo, then they'll INSTANTLY know how it's done.

What you get:

- 20 page booklet explaining the effects
- Translucent green piece of plastic about 2" by 2"
- Device to make the cards glow
- Holder for the device
- Another item

The booklet:

Routine 1 - standard frozen glow effect. Spectator signs the back of any playing card (deck can be borrowed), you show this little piece of plastic and discuss the properties of light, hover it over their card then BLAMO - there's a slight glow to the card.

Routine 2 - X Marks the Spot by Ray Noble. Spectator signs the back of any playing card (deck can be borrowed), you drawn an X in the air, and spectator sees an X on their card.

Routine 3 - Getting Down to Business by Ray Noble. Blank backed cards, one magically gets an X on it.

The props:

All items included should last well beyond a year before you need to "refill" anything. Even though Peter says on the Cafe "Peter Loughran:
Hey Josh, there are no refills to buy".

Yes there is, but you won't have to for a very long time.

Angles:

Can be done surrounded with proper misdirection. Any observant spectator behind you might notice something, however.

Difficulty:

2/10 - You can be up and running within a few minutes

Reset:

You need 30 seconds of alone time with an additional prop in order to reset after every performance.

Performances:

Since I thought this sucked, I'm under the obligation of going out and performing this the best I can. This determines maybe it's a good trick, but I'm just stupid and biased about it. After 11 spectators, I can safely say from my standpoint that it gets the same reaction as the Biddle Trick and 2 spectators instantly knew how it was done after examining the card. No reactions were spectacular or noteworthy. When I asked them all to rate the trick from 1 to 10, most said about a 4.

Conclusion:

Way too much competition at the $35 price point, even for a single trick product. You're competing with some great single tricks including Liquid Metal, Extreme Burn, etc all of which will bury Frozen Glow for practicality, reactions and longevity in your repertoire.

A great alternative is "Til Death Do Us Part By Jim Critchlow and Alakazam" for $10 less:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... p?ID=11789

The official spam:

Quote:
The performer borrows a deck of cards and asks the spectator to select any card they want from the deck (no force, this is a free choice). The performer doesn’t even have to touch the deck; the spectator can freely choose a card of their choice themselves.

The performer introduces a small square green Plexiglas lens (a light filter) and asks the spectator to examine it. The performer tells the spectator that he has the ability to actually freeze time, however for only for a split second. He explains that some theorize if time stood still even for a moment that certain properties of light in the spectrum could be altered leaving an impression behind...forever!

The performer then begins to demonstrate his unique ability to harness the power of this phenomenon by using their freely chosen playing card and the un-gimmicked green Plexiglas lens.

The performer hands the spectator a marker or pen and asks the spectator to sign their name on both sides of the playing card so there will be absolutely no mistaking their card for different one, and they will be able to recognize the card at all times as it remains in full view during the illusion. With the card signed on both sides it will be impossible for the performer to switch it out for a different card.

Once the card is signed the performer holds the card flat with either the face or the back facing up. He holds the green lens over top of their playing card and signature. Light will pass through the lens and cast a green shadow or glow over top of their playing card and their signature. The lens can be moved around above the card showing the green glow moves with the lens.

The performer now asks the spectator to say stop at any time and the performer will attempt to freeze time, and if it works, the light will actually be captured onto their card. The performer moves the lens above the card in small motions showing the green glow is still moving with the lens, but never lets the lens touch the card.

The spectator yells “Stop!” and the lens is pulled away, but the green glow is left behind on part of the card and OVER TOP of their signature. The card can then be handed out for examination and left for the spectator to keep!

* FROZEN GLOW can be used with any card in the deck.
* FROZEN GLOW can be used with any brand or deck of cards.
* The cards can be borrowed.
* FROZEN GLOW can be instantly repeated.
* There is no card force, it is a free choice.
* There is no switch of any kind.
* FROZEN GLOW is easy to do and requires no sleight of hand.
* The performer's hands are shown empty at all times.
* The card can be examined before and after the effect.
* The Lens is fully examinable and never touches the card.
* FROZEN GLOW can even be done with business cards.
* Capture the light on either the face or the back of any playing card and over top of their signature.
* The light can be captured in any position on the card.
* FROZEN GLOW will be an unforgettable souvenir for your spectator.

FROZEN GLOW comes to you complete with instructions and routines.

Last edited by akirafist on Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:39 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the review, I'd never event heard of this. Not going to buy it either, sounds like a mediocre effect.

-JT

Post subject: Re: FROZEN GLOW by Peter Loughran - My review
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:44 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
akirafist wrote:
After 11 spectators, I can safely say from my standpoint that it gets the same reaction as the Biddle Trick and 2 spectators instantly knew how it was done after examining the card.

I close my restaurant routine with the Biddle trick... What's wrong with it? It gets me loads of tips, and is definitely strong. Why bash a classic?

Other than that, thanks for the review! :D I'll probably steer clear of this! :D

-Trix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 pm 
born to perform.

mmroczka wrote:
with the Biddle trick... What's wrong with it?

I should have said MY biddle trick, which I haven't really concentrated on, and therefore is probably mediocre at best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

thanks, i was going to buy that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 pm 
born to perform.

Too bad it's misleading, because the demo seems to be pretty interesting.