View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Surfaced by Chad Nelson
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:25 pm 
born to perform.

Hey guys, got this early this morning, and since a lot of people asked me for this review, I'll give it to ya. It'll be short, considering I'm typing it with one hand, being my right hand is doing the clipshift over and over again. Since I obviously haven't performed it yet, this is more of a first impression, rather than a full review. When I do perform it though, I'll make sure to edit the review.

What they say-
Quote:
The long awaited DVD release from underground magician, Chad Nelson, is finally here. Learn the most visual card magic ever created and a revolutionary move that will change your magic, forever

Imagine If You Could

vanish, produce, or control any card

have a card visually travel thorugh the deck

a one handed top card cover pass

a double color change with one hand

find a four of a kind with one hand behind your back
and so much more...

What You Will Learn

In addition to the numerous sleights and subtleties Chad has to offer, you will learn the Clip Shift, a move kept underground for nearly a decade and talked about all over the world.

Plus...

its variations
and 7 highly visual effects

The Clip Shift is a utility move, like a DL. It can also be used to palm a card, as a color change, a control, a pass and so much more. It’s a move with infinite possibilities and on this DVD are some of Chad’s favorite applications and tricks

Chad goes into intense detail explaining the Clip Shift and then breakes each effect down to its core. Chad's expert instruction was shot with two cameras in high definition for a crystal clear learning experience. Includes a 24 page booklet explaining the Clip Shift in full detail and more.

What I say- Well, I think the hype surrounding this dvd may of rubbed people the wrong way, but I have one thing to say to that- Its all true. Every single thing said in the description above is true. This WILL change your card magic I can't even do it yet and its already changed my magic. The thinking behind it is genius. The possibilities are endless. I'll never have to buy another trick again. I know your saying "You just got it, are you high? You don't know about the reactions, blah blah blah" All I have to say to that is watch the performance section of the dvd. Nuff said.

I ordered mine opening night, so I got mine signed. The signature is hilarious, anybody who has it will know what I'm talking about.

The dvd is 82 minutes long, covering the actual clipshift, to a one handed pass, to color changes, to palming techniques using the clip shift, all the way to 7 great tricks.

The teaching is phenomnal. Chad is easy to understand, and is good with words. The teaching of the actual clipshift is fantastic. He goes over it verbaly like 20 times, gives you hints, and uses an omni deck to make it easier to learn. An omni deck, for those who don't know, an omni deck is a plactic block the shape and size of a real deck. This makes it SO MUCH easier to learn. You will have to rewind some though, because this is one of the hardest sleights I know, reason being there isn't really anything like it out there. This isn't like a modified pass or anything, this is pretty much 99% original. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most difficult, I'd give it a 9. Again, its one of the hardest sleights I know. To be specific, its the second hardest, first being the next sleight taught on the dvd.

The 26 Shift
Basically what this is is a one handed pass. Simple as that. To go into more detail, its a modified clipshift with half the deck. I haven't even attempted this yet. I think I'll hold off on it untill I can do the basic clipshift, which unfortunatly it will take a while.

The tricks

Freefall
A protruding face-up selection slowly and visually sinks through the entire deck landing in the spectator’s awaiting hand. In a blink, the whole process is reversed, bringing the card instantly to the top.

Rum Jungle
Two selections are lost and a random card is removed and held face up. With a quick shake, it visually changes into the first selection. The spectator is then asked to shake the card, which changes into the second selection.

Tricycle
A single selection viewed by three spectators is buried into the pack. After shuffling, three random cards are removed, shown, and handed out to the three spectators who are asked to confirm they are not the selection. With a snap, each spectator is instructed to turn over his or her card, and each card is seen to have changed into the selection. Each card is different.

Clean Hook
After explaining sleight of hand will be used to find the spectator’s selection, a one-handed flourish swirls the selection from the center of the deck. The cards are taken behind the back with one hand. A second later, the hand is brought out, showing the selection’s three mates all protruding from the edges of the deck.

Criterion
The four Kings are produced in mid-air. Three selections are shuffled back into the pack. One at a time the Kings slowly and visually vanish only to re-appear with the three selections sandwiched between them.

Fourplay
A puzzling effect where a selected card shows character. Straight away a returned face-down selection appears face up and upon removal it turns face down, visually. The inversions continue, leading to a chaotic climax which must be seen to be disbelieved.

#@*! Off
A double color change with one hand that begins by showing the Aces buried throughout the pack. By waving the cards, the two blacks Aces instantly appear face up on top and bottom. This is followed by another magical appearance of the two reds Aces face up on top and bottom.

I won't talk about each trick, but I will talk about some of my favorites.

#@*! Off- Even though its the one trick on here that requires a gimmick(not even a gimmick, something that I bet all of you have) I think this is the most impossible trick on the dvd. Chad even says its great for hecklers, because the trick is literally impossible for a laymen to figure out.

Fourplay- This is a great inversion plot that is extremly visual. My new favorite inversion trick, burying Chris Kenners Perversion(sorry zach)

Rum Jungle
Not much to say about this one, other than its a kickass trick. As soon as I can do the clipshift, this will definently be in my repitoire, as will most of these tricks.

These tricks are extremly visual, and from what I saw in the performances, they hit hard too. Other than having the 26 and Clip shift involved, the tricks aren't that difficult, but again, thats taking both of the hardest sleights away from them, so really, these tricks are very hard.

The prodcution value is THE BEST I've seen on any magic dvd. This kicks T11 in the gut. Great camera work Dan and Dave, it really shows.

The dvd is centered around the Clip Shift and 26 shift, so those are the main sleights that are offered on the dvd. There is bonus footage, including a weird music video titled "New York" and a section on things that other magicians have discovered with the clipshift, offering even more sleights and tricks from the minds of Jason England, Derek Delgaudio, and Ricky Smith(whom I think offers the best idea using the clip shift)

The booklet is pretty cool, it has a bunch of random notes that Chad wrote, nothing that great, but a couple thinga worth noting. It also has an explanation of the clipshift, wich adds even more refrence to the move.

The angles are pretty much 100%, if your doing the move at speed. it goes by so quick, nobody will see anything. If you do it slow, then your anybody to your right will see whats happening.

This is a must have. Anybody who does card magic needs this, it will change your magic. Its not just a color change, or a vanish. It can be used for literally hundreds of tricks. This easily gets a 100000000/10. Best dvd evah!

http://store.dananddave.com/surfaced.html

Last edited by Nicholas96 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 pm 
born to perform.

How DARE you be dissin' CK's perversion?!!??!?!?!?!?!

Great review, this is in the top 5 tricks on my list as of now, up there with Smooth ops, burn, and a few others.

Derek's in this? More of a reason to buy it. Derek is one of the coolest, most skilled magician i've ever met. Along with Apollo Robbins, who is also crazy awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:09 am 
born to perform.

zachmonky wrote:

Great review, this is in the top 5 tricks on my list as of now, up there with Smooth ops, burn, and a few others.

Derek's in this? More of a reason to buy it. Derek is one of the coolest, most skilled magician i've ever met. Along with Apollo Robbins, who is also crazy awesome.

He doesn't appear in it, but some of his ideas get using the cli shift are taught. I've actaully never heard of him before this dvd. Mind giving me a little info?

I didn't mean to diss perversion, its just this version is so much more visual.

Smooth Operations is a little overpriced for what you get. I don't have it, but my friend does, and he was pretty dissapointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:02 am 
born to perform.

Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:

He doesn't appear in it, but some of his ideas get using the cli shift are taught. I've actaully never heard of him before this dvd. Mind giving me a little info?

Smooth Operations is a little overpriced for what you get. I don't have it, but my friend does, and he was pretty dissapointed.

5 bucks per trick on Smooth Operations. Not bad.

Derek is one of the most skilled card guys i've met. He showed me clipshift in person, which was the first time i had seen the move, and i was fooled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:43 am 
born to perform.

zachmonky wrote:
Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:

Derek is one of the most skilled card guys i've met. He showed me clipshift in person, which was the first time i had seen the move, and i was fooled.

Yeah but half of its ace productions.

I'll have to google him or something, because he sounds like he's worth looking up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:49 pm 
born to perform.

Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:
Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:

I'll have to google him or something, because he sounds like he's worth looking up.

No, 5 effects, 4 ace productions, 2 flourishes, 4 sleights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:10 pm 
born to perform.

zachmonky wrote:
Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:
Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:

But 2 of those tricks are color changes. Five bucks for a color change? Not for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:30 pm 
born to perform.

Stay on topic guys.

Anyway, please don't get this. 8)

Wish mine came signed though. Maybe someday I can have Chad autograph it for me in person. This DVD is TOTAL hawt sauce.

Please DO NOT get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:47 pm 
born to perform.

Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:
Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:
Nicholas96 wrote:
zachmonky wrote:

But 2 of those tricks are color changes. Five bucks for a color change? Not for me.

Very true. But i respect kevin and all his work, so i'd to get it to see what he's got.

Again, great review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:38 pm 
born to perform.

DVLKCC wrote:
Stay on topic guys.

Anyway, please don't get this. 8)

Wish mine came signed though. Maybe someday I can have Chad autograph it for me in person. This DVD is TOTAL hawt sauce.

Please DO NOT get it.

You have no idea how tempted I was to give it a horrible review, just so it wouldn't sell, leaving it all for me!

How are you doing on the actual technique though? I think I'm doing great for only 2 days of hardcore practice. I can do the entire sleight in about 3 seconds. If I can cut that down to 2 seconds by the end of the week, I might show this to someone in my family. If your having trouble, chad gives a great tip in the booklet. Do the technique with two full decks stacked on top of each other. Not only will it make your fingers stronger, but it will increase your speed SOOOO much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:34 am 
born to perform.

I can do it okay. My problem is "clearing" the card. It makes a scraping sound. Have you tried the 26 shift yet? :lol:

Tried using a rubber band...thinking about getting an Omni Deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:17 am 
born to perform.

DVLKCC wrote:
I can do it okay. My problem is "clearing" the card. It makes a scraping sound. Have you tried the 26 shift yet? :lol:

Tried using a rubber band...thinking about getting an Omni Deck.

Haven't tried the 26 shift yet.

Just take some duct tape and wrap it around a deck, then take two cards and put double stick tape on the faces of both of them, and put them on the top and bottom, so the finish on the duct tape won't effect the sleight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:00 pm 
born to perform.

Dan and Dave had added a private forum on their website for the owners of Surfaced to discuss, ask questions, and share ideas on the clipshift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:24 pm 
Penguin

It's been a day and a half and I can't even clip the card properly. My pinky cramps up on a regular basis and my ring finger never moves the way my brain keeps telling it to.

This slight is soooo worth the pain I'm still glad I bought it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:38 pm 
born to perform.

jrandom wrote:
It's been a day and a half and I can't even clip the card properly. My pinky cramps up on a regular basis and my ring finger never moves the way my brain keeps telling it to.

This slight is soooo worth the pain I'm still glad I bought it.

Keep at it man. ALWAYS be practicing it. I'm doing it right now. Do when you watch t.v., do it when your eating, etc. You will get it eventually.