View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Aquarius by The Enchantment - my review
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 am 
born to perform.

Aquarius by The Enchantment - my review

Created by Nicholas Bengtson

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... p?ID=10557

$13 after discount

Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spLd0lGlgSo

Yet another 24 page booklet from The Enchantment, filled with the wonders of ... cap in bottle.

In an arena filled with single-effect cap in bottles like "Impossible Cap In Bottle" for $25, Nick has released a variety of different methods of hiding the cap, penetrations and other ideas using the included gimmicks.

------ What you get ------

24 color page booklet of instructions
Something special, lined in your plastic covering the booklet

------ Le Booklet ------

Setup for jamming the cap into each type of bottle:

- Version 1
Fits your average coke bottle. Requires some setup and prep beforehand.

- Version 2
For thinner bottles like Aquafina water. Requires some setup and prep beforehand.

- Version 3
For the really thin caps like Arrowhead. Can be prepared impromptu.

Various methods of hiding the caps:

- Hide 1
Used for empty bottles

- Hide 2
Used for empty or full bottles

- Hide 3
Used for partially full, or full bottles

- Hide 4
Used for empty bottles, where the bottle is held horizontally. This is the same method used in Mike Powers' V.I.P. effect

Now that you're well versed on all the hides and cap locations, Nick combines these along with his vanishes to create some effects:

- Big Gulp

Demonstrated using a Dr. Pepper bottle. You remove the cap, pivot your body left then drink the 1/4 bottle of liquid, then penetrate the bottle from the bottom.

- Rain Shower

"This is similar to Big Gulp but you don't drink from the bottle". It's basically the previous effect, but a different ditch.

- Little Gulp

Another bottom penetration with a smaller bottle. Water is poured from the bottle, then boom - cap inside. Nick uses a small water bottle with a thin cap for this one.

- Straight Away

A penetration where the cap is not really in your hand.

- Straight Away 2

Same as above, but he uses a book or some other "base object" to lap it. Kind of.

- Bottle Kaps

Another bottom penetration using a cap vanish subtlety.

- Phantom

Same as Big/Little Gulp, with another cap vanish subtlety.

- Vacuum 1 and 2

Same penetrations as before, using a subtlety from David Williamson. Vacuum 2 is simply #1 but holding the neck of the bottle.
Note: Vacuum 1 & 2 have video demonstrations on The Enchantment forum.

- Self-Working Vacuum

Same as Vacuum I and II, however it uses a cool cap vanish as seen on the Perrier bottle in the demo video.
Both hands can be shown completely clean.

- Under Seize

Yet another bottom penetration with a cap vanish subtlety.
Note: Under Seize has a video demonstration on The Enchantment forum.

- Whipping Boy

A cool cap handling, reminiscent of some coin angle vanishes.
Note: Whipping Boy has a video demonstration on The Enchantment forum.

- Sub-Zero

Now we get into the bottle being full of liquid, and floating to the bottom or top. Very visual stuff, as you can see from the last part of their demo. Sub-Zero involves some cap work before the penetration, and you can end clean with both hands displayed empty.

Note: Sub-Zero has a video demonstration on The Enchantment forum.

- Submarine 1, 2 and 3

This is the penetration shown on the last part of their demo. Visual and impossible in appearance.

Note: Submarine has four video demonstrations on The Enchantment forum.

- Sublime

Cap vanish via sleeves.

Note: Sublime has a video demonstration on The Enchantment forum.

- Clean Ups Section

Methods of cleaning up your last performance, and getting ready for a new one. Covers re-positioning your cap, where to load gimmicks, gimmick reset, and common objects you can find at a restaurant to assist.

- Extra Tips and Advice

Anytime Magic
Reputation Making
Reel Magic
Glass Bottles
Additional Hide/Routine
Seated Routine
Hot Aqua
Just in Case Cap
Business Card

------ Examination ------

Most of the bottles from the above routines are completely examinable, sans one particular cap vanish. However this can easily be cleaned up during the hand-out portion after your performance. Many of the routines also leave your hands completely empty, and a nice display. The remaining ones are easily remedied by a ditch once you hand out your bottle.

------ Setup/Recovery ------

Initial setup is about 30 minutes per bottle, then can be performed unlimited times after a 30 second cleanup. Some of the methods involve a more complex recovery, but those are maybe 2 minutes.

------ Angles ------

The "full bottle" presentations (such as Submarine) are very angly, and will be a challenge surrounded. Most of the others have wide angles and a couple are surrounded-friendly. The last penetration on their demo is VERY angle sensitive, and is better performed as shown in the booklet rather than on the demo.

------ Difficulty ------

Most of these are very easy to perform after a few hours in the mirror.

------ Forums ------

Purchasing the booklet allows you access to The Enchantment Aquarius forums, which contain 12 videos and 16 topics.
Make note: the videos are not instructional, but merely demonstrations of the method. Nick doesn't walk you through any details, which I thought was a bit weak.

------ Conclusion ------

"groundbreaking methods and techniques" is a bit of a stretch. This 24 page booklet covers a variety of cap vanishes, preparations and methods that have either been around a while, or you could have applied coin techniques to create. I do however love the addition of Nick's gimmick to the Perrier bottle cap vanish along with some of the cool ideas for full liquid bottle handling. The Enchantment has combined some old, some new ideas to make a pleasing booklet of effects and thoughts to "Cap in Bottle" magic.

Overall I say this was worth $13. Most other effects of this type involve one idea selling for $30. so yeah - money well spent if you'll actually perform it. Just get free shipping if you can, by adding another product.

The official spam:

Quote:
The Enchantment, producer of such popular illusions as Skywalker, Archangel, and Dreamweaver introduces its latest release - Aquarius - The Definitive Cap in Bottle. In the same way that The Enchantment revolutionized the coin in bottle effect with ABYSS, Aquarius brings all new, groundbreaking methods and techniques producing magic which has never previously been possible. This is the cap in bottle like you've never seen before - definitively!

You can't go anywhere without coming across some kind of bottled beverage, whether it be on the street, in the office, at school, etc. Aquarius is the perfect anywhere piece of magic that everyone can identify with. And because people identify so well with this, everyone can appreciate its level of impossibility. The effect is extremely straight-forward. The cap from a bottled beverage is removed and then penetrated through and into the bottle - permanently trapping the cap inside the bottle! The bottle may be painstakingly examined by the audience and given away as an unforgettable keepsake.

Aquarius can be done with virtually any brand or kind of soft drink, iced tea, purified water, etc. - plastic containers or glass containers.

By utilizing such universally common objects as a bottle and its cap, the effect is ideal for any situation or performing environment, either as an icebreaker, a routined part of a show, or as a stand alone effect. Aquarius will undoubtedly become one of the more performable and go-to pieces in your repertoire.

Loaded, and we mean loaded, with totally original concepts and routines that extend to self-working, impromptu, surrounded, and extra visual. The visual purity and awe of Aquarius is truly captivating. In addition, it routines beautifully with ABYSS - The Revolutionary Coin in Bottle as an astonishing counterpart.

* Highly Visual
* Perfect Icebreaker
* Surprisingly Practical
* Everything is Entirely Examinable
* The Unexplainable with Everyday Objects
* Incredible Souvenir in an Impossible Condition

You leave them with a permanent magic enigma that defies all logic and creates true wonder, and true astonishment. This is the kind of magic that gets people talking - making it an authentic and everlasting reputation maker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:34 am 
born to perform.

Is the last penetration in the video Sub Zero or Submarine? Becuase you described it as sub-zero but, you say it was submarine, do they look similar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:46 am 
born to perform.

Last part is Submarine. You cannot show hands empty, unless of course you gimmick up a Gecko, Raven, Black Widow or something similar to ditch the cap.

There's no way in edited you can do that last demo effect EXACTLY AS SHOWN unless you have like 1 spectator standing in one spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:58 pm 
Penguin

thanks so much akirafist for the very excellent extended review. i've been waiting for this for a while and now i can decide, without doubt, to purchase it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:08 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Dos he talk at all about how to get caps inside glass bottles? (without being bent of course, un-like prohibition.) Once you know how to get a cap inside a glass bottle can all of the effects/penetrations be done with a glass bottle?

Thanks, superb review!,

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:37 pm 
born to perform.

mmroczka wrote:
Does he talk at all about how to get caps inside glass bottles?

Yeah, there's whole sections on it, including techniques for every type of cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 pm 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
mmroczka wrote:
Does he talk at all about how to get caps inside glass bottles?

Yeah, there's whole sections on it, including techniques for every type of cap.

This was out of stalk like a week ago when I went to order it. Otherwise I would of had this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:33 pm 
born to perform.

What's hot aqua? It sounds intriguing.(sp?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 pm 
Penguin

evanbishop wrote:
What's hot aqua? It sounds intriguing.(sp?)

It uses a particular drink for Aquarius so you can do it wherever you are.

I did a short review
http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... p?t=149008

The methods in this are very clever.
I think only one of the full bottle tricks has rough angles, the others are pretty friendly. The impromptu tricks are really clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:58 pm 
born to perform.

I just got my copy of Aquarius. It provides a few gimmicks that are necessary for some of the effects, plus a ton of veru visual and very creative cap in bottle effects. I love this manuscript, and think it is very underpriced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:37 pm 
born to perform.

I just ordered it. Hope it's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:25 pm 
born to perform.

I'm sure you'll be very pleased. There's something in the booklet for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:03 pm 
born to perform.

I got Abyss as well. Does it use similar principles? Is it workable like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:35 pm 
born to perform.

Abyss is in a way, similar to Aquarius method-wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:35 am 
born to perform.

Is the quality equally high? Did I need to buy both?