View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Easy to Execute Card Trickery
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:32 pm 
Team Penguin

EASY TO EXECUTE CARD TRICKERY.

This is a manuscript that I got free for review from one of the posters here on penguin (who doesn't actually post much).

These are my thoughts on the manuscript, and other stuff. So, ON WIT' DAT FUNKIE REVIEW!

What dem' homiez sayz:

Quote:
Easy to Execute Card Trickery
Seller: elite productions

BY J. JACK

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT

six practical and impromptu card tricks

DOUBLE DEALING TD - three cards located by spelling

SIMPLE SPELL LOCATOR - simple spelling effect

BLIND CUT - spectator cut to their selected card

Q. A. S. SANDWICH - a selected card is put on top of the deck and then it ends up between two face up jacks after apparently being pushed into the deck

INDICATOR INSERTION - apparently, the performer inserts a card into deck in the right spot to help him find a selected card while the deck is behind his back

IMPROMPTU REVOLVING ACES - do the classic Herb Zarrow effect anytime in your set....this is a spectator find the aces trick

The following standard moves are used in the tricks but are not described...references are given for all of these:
Hindu Shuffle Control
Overhand In-jog Control Shuffle
DL
Double Undercut
Erdnase/Houdini change
Braue Reversal
Ribbon Spread

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT ---MONEY TO BE REFUNDED BACK THROUGH PAYPAL

First Thoughts:

First off, the grammar and punctuation and capitalization on the advertizment page for this leaves a lot to be desired... Makes you wonder what the eBook will be like...

Also, this might just be me, but the price seems high for the amount of material you get... Hey, maybe it is really good?

The Manuscript:

This is a manuscript that comes in an easy to read font, and it has nothing to fancy. My first beef with this manuscript is that it only has ONE picture (for 6 different routines). None of the routines are hard to understand though, so it is okay. The thing that makes it better though is that all the tricks are pretty solid routines (I don't like them, but they are solid).

Routines:

Here I will describe all 6 routines in detail, what I thought, and then give it a rating on a scale of 1-5. That means the 5 is the BEST trick, 1 is obvioulsy the worst.

Double Dealing TD (Triple Discovery):

Effect:

Three cards are chosen by some spectators, and lost in the deck. In a simple dealing excersize (3 piles of 3) the magician places three coins on the table. In a very fair choice, the coins are all placed in front of the random packets, and the spectator spells each coins name out to arrive at the selection.

My Thoughts:

This is a pretty good trick. I like the method, VERY simple, easy to do. Only problem is that it is a bit hard to justify, as seen in the effect. I don't know why you bring the coins out, nor why they spell their names. I can't find any presentation to justify this.

In addition to which, most spectators have a preconcieved notion of magic to begin with. They, a lot of the time, will think that you are just Uncle Charlie doing some fancy spellin' with the deck of cards. Well, with this, you meet there expectations. Spectators have a hard time sorting out details and subtulties like magicians find very important.

So, while this might be an interesting routine for your magic buddies or a layperson you have already blown the socks off of, or even just to be used as just killing time, it is an okay effect.

3/5

Simple Spell Locator

Effect:

This is complicated... Not simple. The spectator selects a number, and deals down to that card. Then they put it back in the same place inside the deck. The magician picks up the cards, and to make sure it is still there, in the same place, deals to the number. When the card is turned over, it isn't the right one. The name of the card just turned over (the wrong one) is spelt and that is when you find the selection.

My Thoughts:

What is the point in all of this? I don't understand why you would use all of the procedures, or how to justify them. Once again, you are just proving the theory that all magicians are just Uncle Charlie. This may work for someone out there (Supposedly) but I personally find nothing good or original about this effect.

1/5

Blind Cut:

Effect:

This trick isn't a spelling trick! YES!

Anyway, this is basically a selected card, found by the spectator with another card. It is a mix of the Balducci Cut Deeper Force and another routine by Ron Bauer with the same premise. In detail:

The spectator picks a card. Lost in the deck. A card is shown to not be there card. The magician lunges it in the deck, and it is shown to have missed the card again. So, he drapes a handkercheif over the deck and the spectator cuts the cards under it. They have cut to their selection.

My Thoughts:

Once again, can you say, HARD to justify? I don't understand how these connect. It is almost like the writer of this manuscript (forgive me) is just trying to do magic moves because he can. I don't feel that this is very strong after all the byplay.

This routine does make up for it partially by allowing for some comedy potential.

3/5

Q.A.S. Card Sandwitch

Effect:

A sandwitch effect modeled after a Karl Fulves effect modeled after an Al Leech effect.

Basically, the performer has the spector select a card. The two red jacks are removed and examined. The two red jacks are placed in the middle. Then the spectators card is "magically" pushed into the center and shown to be in the middle of the two red jacks.

My Thoughts:

I finally find an effect that is decent but it isn't original! I don't understand what makes this different at all from another sandwitch. He routined this to take out the hassle of having to show the spectators selection before it ended up where it is supposed to. Other than that, no change was made and the spectators definitly won't think so.

Oh, and the one image in this manuscript teaches you a BIDDLE GRIP! Come on. If you are expected to know any of the other sleights (that either aren't explained or don't have images) then you would know the biddle grip.

Good effect, I don't feel it has anything special to offer.

3/5

Indicator Insertion:

Effect:

Ugh. I am getting tired of these effects that are way to hard to execute for an effect taht is too complicated.

Here, we have... another spectator choosing a card. Then it is lost. For no reason whatsoever, the magician looks at the top 5 cards (to see if there card is there (but it wouldn't be anyway, as it was just put in the middle!). When it is seen not to be among those, they are cut to the center.

Behind the magicians back, the magician then takes a card (which he claims to be a jack; never shown) and shoves it in the middle, face up. The magician brings the deck back around and spreads through the deck face down to come to the face up jack. Then, you spell J-A-C-K and get to the card.

My Thoughts:

Do I even have to say it? What the edited is the spectator supposed to see? There card lost in the center? 5 random cards put in the middle for no reason? A "jack" is then "put in the middle" behind the magician's back. Then, if to make it more complicated, it is then SPELLED to to get to the card.

Not going to work, and it is probbably the farthest thing from real magic since killer spies.

Impromptu Revolving Aces

Effect:

This is WAY too complicated in writing. There are no images, and two whole pages seperated into like 6 paragraphs. It took me 4 different read throughs to actually grasp just what the effect was about. What I gues s it is...

The spectator chooses a card. It is lost in the deck. 6 cards are chosen and put face down by the magician to hopefully be the selection. The spectator is shown three of the six cards and they are said no too. Then in a series of seemingly UN-fair choices, the spectator finds the four aces. Then, a joker is pulled out (why?) and is used to ask which is the spectators favorite ace. The specators favorite ace is then "magically" changed into the selection.

My Thoughts:
I won't say it again. Okay, maybe once. TOO COMPLICATED!!!! Not worth the effort (and it takes a lot to grasp this from reading it...).

2/5 (generously).

References:

This section is where it is explained where every sleight that was not explained is located. Well done, correct refrences.

Price:

This can be purchased at http://www.e-junkie.com/shop/product/59837.php for $10 dollars. I see that as high for effects of this callibre, but hey, if you like the sound of them, please buy it and support the guy.

Final Thoughts:

Maybe this was a joke. I hope so. Either that, or supposedly a biggeners book... Wait, then wouldn't it have more images? And explain sleights?

I don't know. I DON'T reccomend this. I think all effects are too complicated. We as magicians, need to start thinking about what we can do to simplify an effect, as apposed to vice-versa.

I feel that the writer of this manuscript feels the need to do sleights because he can. What is the point?

Overall, I am not hating. If they work for this guy, they do. But they certainly don't work for me. I dislike them... All of them...

Overall, this manuscript gets a...

2/5.[/b]

UPDATE:

The writer of this manuscript (after me sending this review and getting mean comments back) said that he will have another out in August with further work on Impromptu Revolving Aces.

Maybe it will be better?