View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:44 pm 
born to perform.

TITLE and Creator: Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest

Effect: Use an everyday breath strip container to make small objects disappear, appear, or change.

Price: $39.95

Teaching: The quality of the teaching is great. It's ALL on DVD, no manuals at all, but I didn't have any issue with that. Within the first 10 minutes of the DVD you have a good understanding for how the device works, so written instructions in my opinion wouldn't make the product any stronger. Joe does a great job of making the DVD fun and informative. A few times it seems a bit cheesy, but overall a very high quality teaching set.

Quality of materials(if it is a gimmik etc): Gimmick seems to be put together really well, for what that's worth. There's not really much to it, but what there is to it looks good and functions extremely well. I'm also fairly certain that if you were to manage to somehow break it, you could repair it fairly easily with parts from any other breath strip container. The quality of the DVD is on par with anything else, packaging looks professional (even if the gorillas on the front are a bit odd) AND it comes with real breath strips, so you don't have to worry about going out and buying those. Also, the strip pack is a Listerine brand pack, which I have found for refills at local stores, so you should be able to easily find more breath strips.

Difficulty: The trick takes a few minutes to get the hang of, and as stated in the DVD each gimmick is very slightly different, so you have to get a feel for how yours works. Once you have that down, you'll be performing it easily. It took me about 15 minutes before I felt comfortable enough to start working on routine instead of just operation of the gimmick. Due to the size of the device, this is probably going to be limited to close up work of sometime...restaurant, street, things like that.

Applications: I think this trick would be a great opener for a set. As mentioned in the DVD the fact that it is an actual container for real breath strips can set you up perfectly. Walk up to someone and start talking to them, then say "Oh I think I need a breath freshener" as you take it out and get one. Then go on from there. People have been amazed by trick so far in my experience. Most of the people I'm around know that I'm into magic, so they are constantly asking me if I have any tricks. With this device, I can easily pull it out and say something like "Sorry, I just had something to eat" and then set it down and bring out some cards. They will think I'm going to be doing a card trick, and then all the sudden that container gets involved. It's great because they don't think that it will have anything to do with the trick, then it becomes the center of attention when they least expect it.

Overall Rating: I'm going to give this trick a good solid NINE out of ten. It would be a perfect 10 if it were maybe a few dollars less expensive. However, it's a great trick because of a couple of reasons. First off, it packs a good punch and gets good reactions. Second, it's small enough that you can have it with you ALL THE TIME. This trick very quickly (like the first day I had it) became one of the items that I have in my pocket at all times. Awesome trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:19 pm 

My only problem is the size. There's not too many objects that will fit in the container. Overall, it's a cool idea, but I don't know how practical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:34 am 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
My only problem is the size. There's not too many objects that will fit in the container. Overall, it's a cool idea, but I don't know how practical.

I can see where you're coming from. The size of it does limit the number of things that you can use with it.

However, I feel that what it lacks in size is made up for by the simple fact that it's SUCH an everyday item. It doesn't seem out of place or "magical" at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:39 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Thanks for the review man! :D Out of curiousity, once you get the gimmick and know how it works, do you think it would be possible to make one from scratch, or would you have to buy ANOTHER one? I think you could do some pretty sick transpositions with two of these guys...

Thanks again! :D

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:28 pm 
born to perform.

mmroczka wrote:
Thanks for the review man! :D Out of curiousity, once you get the gimmick and know how it works, do you think it would be possible to make one from scratch, or would you have to buy ANOTHER one? I think you could do some pretty sick transpositions with two of these guys...

Thanks again! :D

-Mike

I hope this is not against the rules, but I will say that yes, I do believe that it would be fairly easy to make one that would at the very least be serviceable. I don't think it would end up looking QUITE as good, but I think you could make one that would work pretty well. I too have thought about trying to make another one so that I can do some transpositions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:28 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Thanks! :D No, it's not against the rules, you aren't really exposing anything. :D

... now the only problem is finding a good reason to be carrying two of these at a time... lol. :D

Oh, well.

-Trix

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:15 am 
born to perform.

mmroczka wrote:
Thanks! :D No, it's not against the rules, you aren't really exposing anything. :D

... now the only problem is finding a good reason to be carrying two of these at a time... lol. :D

Oh, well.

-Trix

Well, for what it's worth, I can only seem to find them in packages of three. So you COULD always say that you bought a three pack the other day and already finished one off...

Post subject: Re: Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:08 pm 
born to perform.

You would not call attention to the fact that you have more than one, it would be so that you can do a different effect for the next group of people!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:08 pm 
born to perform.

Nice review.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:16 pm 
Penguin

I bought this the other day and I already performed all the routines that Joe teaches you on the DVD, they are great routines but can you share your own routines that you guys perform when using The gimmick :?: :mrgreen: :D :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:48 pm 
Penguin

Can this device be used for a torn and restored dollar effect???

What I mean is can you rip a dollar into 4 pieces and then use the device to switch the 4 pieces for a completely different (unripped) dollar???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 pm 
born to perform.

GWhipDJ wrote:
Can this device be used for a torn and restored dollar effect???

What I mean is can you rip a dollar into 4 pieces and then use the device to switch the 4 pieces for a completely different (unripped) dollar???

Due to it's size, I would say probably not.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:12 pm 
born to perform.

No you could not do it that way. You could however tear the bill and restore it with a TT or some other way all except one corner and have it appear in the strip case.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 pm 
Penguin

You cold introduce 2 of the gimmicks by asking if they like mint or cinnamon. Thats how i would get them into play :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 am 
born to perform.

jonoborn wrote:
You cold introduce 2 of the gimmicks by asking if they like mint or cinnamon. Thats how i would get them into play :D

The only problem is that you don't really know which color gimmick you're going to get. Mine is green, and I don't think there's any way to request any specific color.