View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Street Magic Kit review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:56 am 

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... p?ID=11797

So here's the deal, this kit is a collection of different items, so instead of reviewing the kit overall, I'll just post a quick list of what's in the kit and you can search for those reviews. As for whether or not I think it's worth it, I do. At the same time, it's not strictly "street magic". The Alexander De Cova videos don't really qualify as "street magic", they are simply really good videos.

* Hummer Card by Jon Jensen - This is the original version. It's one of the stock tricks that people sell in magic shops and often ignored, but it's really strong. The write up is far more than adequate to teach the effect. It's also a good trick to draw people in to watch magic.
* Floating Bill by Jon Jensen - If you want a simple trick that will get screams, here you go.
* Self Levitation DVD - This video focuses on the Balducci Levitation made famous by David Blaine. It's a good video to learn the angles, the presentation, and other details about the trick.
* Invisible Deck (Blue, Bicycle) - One of the strongest card tricks possible.
* Watch Bandit by Kevin King - I preferred the Chappy Brazil video, but this one will teach you to steal watches.
* Bubble Gum Magic - Vol. 1 & 2 by James Coats and Nicholas Byrd - I'm not a fan of the idea of using gum as your medium, but this set focuses on using gum to perform a few of the classic plots in magic.
* 101 Tricks with a TT by Royal Magic - These booklets are always really short and the descriptions don't include too much detail, but they do give you a lot of ideas and usually include some pretty cool ideas.
* TT Classic by Vernet - Vernet is the only way to go in TTs.
* Treasures - Vol. 1,2 & 3 by Alexander De Cova - This set has some "Street Magic"-styled effects, but focuses on formal closeup. I highly enjoyed this set and found some great magic on it. I was thoroughly fooled and entertained.
* Complete set of Street Magic Magazine (5 issues) - A good magazine that tried to be the Maxim of magic. It had some good articles, good tricks, and half naked women. I don't think it really appealed to it's target audience as much as they tried too, but it was a decent magazine while it lasted.

Post subject: Re: Street Magic Kit review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:05 am 
born to perform.

thanks for the review, don't think i'll be getting this, the page makes it seem like you get sooo much stuff, but ya don't!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 pm 
born to perform.

Sounds like a pretty good kit.

I'll have to price out some of the things separately before committing to the purchase, but it does seem like a good deal to me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:04 pm 

In total, the kit really does equal $270 retail. Here, after the 10%, the total would be $243. Either way, you're saving a lot. If you don't like the kit overall, but are still interested in some of the products, the De Cova videos are fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:15 pm 
born to perform.

exodus wrote:
In total, the kit really does equal $270 retail. Here, after the 10%, the total would be $243. Either way, you're saving a lot. If you don't like the kit overall, but are still interested in some of the products, the De Cova videos are fantastic.

Cool. I will definitely have to keep it in mind. My wife needs to get me SOMETHING for Christmas, right??!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:42 am 
born to perform.

Nothing in the kit really makes me want to buy it. The could of put a few more things in there to make it more appealing.