View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Review: Tarantula (full review)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:32 am 
Penguin

The Tarantula describes itself as the best ITR on the market today. This is true.

From the number of posts I have made you may notice that I am somewhat obsessed with levitation's, and so I ordered not one, but two Tarantula's in the post (though not at the same time). And I can say that it is the single best purchase I have ever made; it gets the BEST reactions of any of my tricks, and it is totally foolproof. People simply do not know how this is done. The illusion you create is just so simple and so perfect, you risk people literally believing you have some real mental powers.

The Tarantula levitation's (NOTE: NEVER EVER call them this. It makes the words "Tarantula levitation magic" far too easy to Google) is my single most requested trick, and I have developed the routine greatly, getting what I think is now better than the demo video itself - I hope you do not consider me arrogant for saying this. I shall first tell you what is possible with the single Tarantula, and then finally, a simple rundown of the workings themselves.

========================================================

The Effect: The Tarantula

A spectators coin or ring are borrowed. You hold it between your hands and spin it; it stays there, rotating very fast in the air. It hovers above your left hand (in my case, it can float over either hand you like) and then floats all the way up your arm, getting higher and up to your higher chest. It then floats down your right arm and hovers above your right hand. You can then spin your finger around the floating object, showing there is nothing attached- You can even make hoops with your fingers and have it float straight through them.. You can then click your fingers and it drops straight down into your open palm. The coin is instantly examinable (if you are skilled), and there are no strings or wires to be found anywhere around, either on the coin or on you. You can also levitate a ring onto someone's finger, although this IS risky, and I tend to only do it to my own finger, however it is an excellent party trick and can be pulled off in the right lighting.

In an advanced form of this routine you can run multiple rings around the floating ring, and you can also seal it in a glass box (goldfish tank).

========================================================

The IT: It uses Spider Thread and is very invisible and hard to see, it is also suprisingly strong and made of good kevlar. It is smooth and easy to use, and it comes with a locking mechanism, meaning you can having come out as far as you like, and then not release any more thread than you wish.

The batteries: They last for a few weeks each if you are careful, but they are cheap to refill and can be found at most watch shops. They are NOT SPIDER PEN BATTERIES, DO NOT TRY AND USE THEM! If you do they will break the Tarantula... worst mistake I ever made with it. These batteries can be bought for about £3 or less. I personally got them for 10 for £20 off a watch maker.

The durability: You must be careful with the device, don't sit on it, don't crush it. But it will not break as easily as many people make out; treat your props well and you will be fine.

The sound: It does make a sound when you real back in the IT, but it is so quiet no one has ever yet heard it.

The "hiddeness": The device is hidden extremely well, I cannot say where or how, but trust me, it is. In fact its hidden so well that I'm sure at one point they were actually considering hiding the ITR inside your underpants, because that's the level of stealth they've gone to to hide the device.

The method:
Very ingenious. The illusions you get are brilliant, people honestly have no idea how you are doing it, and if you do it well you end totally clean. Yigal is brilliant.

Summary: The single best ITR on the market for any close-up workers. I cannot recommend it enough; the only downside is that you must be gentle with the device, but if you handle IT at all, you should know that by now, it is part and parcel of IT work.

Overall rating: 9/10

Note: It would have been 10/10, as the best ITR ever, but it can break. So it looses a point.

Last edited by Thomaswadefraser on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Review: Tarantula (full review)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:48 pm 
born to perform.

Good review!!

I'm not 100% sure I want to get into IT work, but if I did the Tarantula would be the one I go with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

Good review. I agree that it is probably the best ITR on the market but I do think you still need to ding it overall because of the fragility. I kept mine in bubble wrap when not in use and it still managed to break. I'm pretty mechanical and was able to fix it and improve the durability with a slight modification but many others without either the skills or tools might get a $70.00 thread dispencer without the ability to respool. Just because of that I think it is only fair to ding it to an overall 9/10 at least.

Last edited by eostresh on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:21 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Good review. I agree that it is probably the best ITR on the market but I do think you still need do ding it overall because of the fragility. I kept mine in bubble wrap when not in use and it still managed to break. I'm pretty mechanical and was able to fix it and improve the durability with a slight modification but many others without either the skills or tools might get a $70.00 thread dispencer without the ability to respool. Just because of that I think it is only fair to ding it to an overall 9/10 at least.

I could rate it down, but I am thinking of it with the hands of a professional IT worker. In those hands its perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

Thomaswadefraser wrote:
eostresh wrote:
Good review. I agree that it is probably the best ITR on the market but I do think you still need do ding it overall because of the fragility. I kept mine in bubble wrap when not in use and it still managed to break. I'm pretty mechanical and was able to fix it and improve the durability with a slight modification but many others without either the skills or tools might get a $70.00 thread dispencer without the ability to respool. Just because of that I think it is only fair to ding it to an overall 9/10 at least.

I could rate it down, but I am thinking of it with the hands of a professional IT worker. In those hands its perfect.

Except that over on your Spider spool thread you specifically recommended as a first reel for another guy? Which is it? A thread reel for beginners or professionals? I'm not disagreeing with the quality I just think others on the forum might benefit from some recommendations as to who should buy...and more importantly who should NOT buy. I personally would not recommend it for someone new to magic and new to IT. Even if you have a good mechanical aptitude and have been doing magic for a while it might not be the right place to start off with IT work. Not because you can't handle the gimmick and all of its' quirks but because you may find that thread work doesn't fit your style of magic as well as you thought it would. Better to learn that lesson with a $30.00 reel than a $70.00 reel.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:04 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Thomaswadefraser wrote:
eostresh wrote:

Except that over on your Spider spool thread you specifically recommended as a first reel for another guy? Which is it? A thread reel for beginners or professionals? I'm not disagreeing with the quality I just think others on the forum might benefit from some recommendations as to who should buy...and more importantly who should NOT buy. I personally would not recommend it for someone new to magic and new to IT. Even if you have a good mechanical aptitude and have been doing magic for a while it might not be the right place to start off with IT work. Not because you can't handle the gimmick and all of its' quirks but because you may find that thread work doesn't fit your style of magic as well as you thought it would. Better to learn that lesson with a $30.00 reel than a $70.00 reel.

I actually said to him he should buy the Master Levitation system and then Tarantula later as his first reel. MLS is not a reel system, but an excellent way of getting yourself adapted to IT work. In my opinion if you can do the Fearson hookup, you can use Tarantula.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:11 pm 
born to perform.

You did indeed. My bad. Never the less I stand by my recommendations and addendums to your review. I don't think it warrants a 10/10 for similar reasons to why you, quite correctly, disagreed with the 10/10 review for that new "strip" gimmick. 10/10 says that a trick is perfect and has no flaws. Strip has a few major flaws...and so does Tarantula.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:11 am 
Penguin

Tarantula does not have any flaws, at least none that I know of. The only one I know if damage to the device and that WILL NOT HAPPEN at all if you treat your props with respect. I keep mine wrapped up in my hanky in my right pocket and it has never come to any harm.

Tom
xx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:19 am 
born to perform.

It's Electronic. You can never guarantee. I took greater care than you did. Kept it in bubble wrap when not in use and never stored it in my pocket. There were some weakly soldered joints that had to be repaired after about a week. Not a big deal for me but it might be for others. You admitted yourself that you bought a second one that broke shortly after you got it. I suspect you had a similar problem that I had with mine. That's a quality control issue that other potential buyers should be made aware of. It is a great tool but it is not perfect. Look most guys who have been in magic for a while have had to built, repaired, or replicated gimmicks of all sorts. They have gotten handy with scissors, thread, double sided tape, various types of glue, dremel tools, you name it. For these guys they will likely have enough experience and resourcefulness to get their Tarantula up and running again if they happen to get a faulty one. I would just hate for some kid who has been into magic for less than a year, doesn't have much experience with building and repairing gimmicks to get this, treat it with kid gloves, only to find out that they got a faulty one and they are out of business. I'd be pretty bummed out if I was that kid. Conversely, I'd feel kind of guilty if I knew some kid spent three months of his allowance on an item that he can't use because I gave it a perfect rating.

Look I love the Tarantula flaws and all. Still the best IT reel on the market. I give it a 9/10. That's my opinion. I just think we owe it to other buyers out there to tell them who might not want to get the Tarantula...yet. If you have never done thread work before you may not want to spend the money on this. You may find that thread work doesn't suit your style or that you are unwilling to put in the time and effort to learn proper angles to use with thread. If you are all thumbs when it comes to repairing and tinkering with the gimmicks you already have you might want to skip this one. If you have been using thread for a while, particularly if you already use another thread reel, then the Tarantula should definitely be on your wish list. It's far more powerful than just about any device on the market and it is the only one that I know of that can easily get in and out of a Fearson hookup. If you are a thread worker that alone should sell you on this gimmick.

So to sum up. It's great. It may be the best IT reel ever made, but it's not perfect and it's not for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Thomaswadefraser wrote:
Tarantula does not have any flaws, at least none that I know of. The only one I know if damage to the device and that WILL NOT HAPPEN at all if you treat your props with respect. I keep mine wrapped up in my hanky in my right pocket and it has never come to any harm.

Tom
xx
Quote:
It was amazing. I did some incredible things combined with my first Tarantula.... and then it broke. -.-
So you don't treat your props with respect? Or is it, as you said in another post, a very fragile prop?

That is something that needs to be mentioned. I would personally be upset if I bought this and then found out that it was very fragile, after it broke. Now, when I do purchase this, I will have a heads up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:13 pm 
Penguin

fallingblood wrote:
Thomaswadefraser wrote:

Tom
xx
Quote:
It was amazing. I did some incredible things combined with my first Tarantula.... and then it broke. -.-
So you don't treat your props with respect? Or is it, as you said in another post, a very fragile prop?

That is something that needs to be mentioned. I would personally be upset if I bought this and then found out that it was very fragile, after it broke. Now, when I do purchase this, I will have a heads up.

I fixed it.

I now use both in my act.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 pm 
Penguin

what levitation system would you recommend?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 pm 
born to perform.

After having read the preceeding discussion you should, by now, realize that the recomendation depends on who you are. Beginner, advanced, good with electronics, good with gadgets, ect. Tell us who you are, what you want, how much you are willing to spend, then we can give you a recomendation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
After having read the preceeding discussion you should, by now, realize that the recomendation depends on who you are. Beginner, advanced, good with electronics, good with gadgets, ect. Tell us who you are, what you want, how much you are willing to spend, then we can give you a recomendation.

something that costs about 40-60 dollers
i am a beginner to "IT" work
and am woundering what to start with

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:46 pm 
born to perform.

unknown7777 wrote:
something that costs about 40-60 dollers
i am a beginner to "IT" work
and am woundering what to start with

Then my personal recommendation is the basic "Mirco-ITR " by Sorcery.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S3831
It is cheaper, most of the parts can be replaced at hardware and craft stores, It is a good all around tool for thread work. If you get good at performing with and repairing it you should have a good foundation in ITRs and from their you might have a better idea of where to go from there.

You will need either a button up shirt(though it can be casual if you choose) or a jacket to hide the Micro ITR. If you want to perform like Blaine(t-shirt and jeans) and you, or someone close to you, is handy with electronics, then Tarantula may be the way to go. Just keep in mind that the learning curve might be a bit steeper with it.