View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On The Spot by Gregory Wilson
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

On the Spot by Gregory Wilson

Official Spam-

Quote:
An On-The-Street Video Set of Routined Impromptu Magic

On the Spot is a guerilla course in performing impromptu magic. The material is so strong, you could show up at your next gig with no magic on you and still entertain the daylights out of them. It's that good.

Get ready to experience Greg's outta-sight insights for real people with real off the cuff fun! With these simple but stunning routines, you'll be able to turn everyday objects into weapons of deception.

Video-

Picture-

The quality on this, being an older video, is obviously nowhere close to what you would get with a newer Penguin DVD or something from theory11 or Dan and Dave. However, I had absolutely no problems in seeing anything that Greg was doing. So no, the picture quality isn't the greatest, but it's not unwatchable by any means.

Sound-

Sound was the same as the picture; it wasn't muffled or hard to understand, but it wasn't crystal clear, either. No problems with hearing or understanding what people were saying.

Angles-

Unfortunately, I believe there's only one angle on the DVD, and I believe that's the front view. Maybe I missed a different angle, but I honestly can't remember one. But, despite the lack of multiple angles, Greg is always turning his hands and body to make sure that you are able to see exactly how the move works.

Teaching-

As usual, Greg is a phenomenal teacher, and I found myself cracking up the entire time. Always entertaining to learn magic from Greg.

Effects-

Ticker Taker-

Quote:
A super-simple Watch Steal you'll be able to perform without tons of testosterone.

I was fairly excited for this; watch stealing has always been one of my favorite things to watch, and pretty high up on my list of "things to learn before I die". The method Greg uses is extremely simple and easy. I have yet to try it, simple because I don't have anybody to practice on and I haven't had anytime to perform this.

Apart from the actual steal, Greg offers outs for if you get busted, misdirection and different handlings of certain "stages" of the watch steal, and presentations for doing the watch steal (i.e. a spoon bend). The outs were particularly helpful, because I have a feeling that I will be caught a large percentage of the time since I'm just starting out.

The other thing I want to mention is that Greg only teaches with this one type of watch: the ones with the clasp and band. The metal band ones (like you would see on a Rolex) and Velcro straps are not taught. Kind of like Ring Fright, you can't really just go out and steal any old watch; it has to be the kind that Greg teaches you how to steal. However, I think once you have performed this kind of steal many times, it may serve as a great base for learning other types of watch steals.

He doesn't really teach this, but he demonstrates throughout the performances different ways of revealing the watch after you have taken it.

Quick Silver-

Quote:
A quarter disappears and reappears three times- in your eye socket (like a monocle), on the spectator's shoulder, and finally under their watch.

Being a n00b with coins, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Obviously, Greg does it to tremendous reactions, but as of right now it will be a while before I perform this. I can do a false transfer fine and all, but I don't pick up on the overall effect as quickly with coins as I do with say, cards.

Another problem I have is that apparently I have oddly shaped or sized eye sockets, because I cannot get the quarter to stay in my eye for the first part of the routine for the life of me. So if you have a problem doing that, or balancing a coin on your head or someone's shoulder, I wouldn't recommend this trick. Other than my own personal problems that affect my performance of the effect, I think is overall an awesome quick little trick that can easily be done "on the fly".

Sponge Napkins-

Quote:
The impact of a Sponge Ball routine with ordinary cocktail napkins.

This one is pretty straight-forward; if you like sponge balls, you'll probably enjoy this. If, on the other hand, you dislike sponge balls, you'll probably have the same feelings toward this routine. The only thing that may sway your mind is that this is done with napkins. Before, I liked performing sponge balls, but napkins appeal to me more than sponge balls, so I may end up using this more frequently than actual sponge balls.

Open Palm Coins Across-

Quote:
Clean. Slick. Impromptu.

If I had to assemble a list of the best coin effects I've seen, this would be in the top 10. It's probably nothing spectacular to most magicians, but I love it; especially in Greg's hands. The three coins travel from fist to fist one at a time... and I believe it is the most clean gimmick-less coins across I've seen. Even after watching the explanation, I was still fooled.

Since you show your palms open constantly throughout the routine, I think it's obvious that this effect uses the Goshman Pinch. This kind of prohibits me from learning this effect as quickly as I would others. My pinky is oddly shaped, and therefore the coin is constantly falling out when I'm trying to get it out of the Pinch. However, I have been experimenting with different coin positions and what not. So if you have trouble with the Goshman Pinch, don't expect to be performing this one soon.

Head Trip-

Quote:
Paperballs over the head with anything - and everything!

This is your standard paperballs over the head routine, except Greg uses a partner, which I've only seen done a few times. He also offers a few tips that he has found useful on things like patter, misdirection, and timing. Not much to say on this one.

Glossy Finish-

Quote:
A smear of lipstick mysteriously appears inside a spectator's closed hand.

This is the same ole' ashes through the hand trick that we've all seen. I believe Criss Angel did this particular version on one of his earlier seasons, but don't quote me on that. I really like the premise and cleanliness of this effect, but it requires you to either rub your finger on somebody else's lipstick, or carry your own; neither of which I care to do. So appealing as this effect is, I have to say no to it simple because of that reason.

Toll Free-

Quote:
Miser's Dream Close-Up.

Since the description of this trick blows: Basically, you show a quarter in your left hand, toss it to your right hand, put it away, and it's back in your hand. Repeat numerous times and end with a silver dollar or jumbo coin.

Again, I'm sure this effect is great and solicits fantastic reactions, but it's really not my style. Coins just are not my friends.

99 Cent Trick

Quote:
A handful of diabolical disappearances. That's all we're telling you.

This is a coin trick from this DVD that I might actually be brave enough to attempt in public. :wink: Basically, you hand a spectator a handful of change, vanish three quarters, and then change the fourth quarter into a penny; the premise being that you vanish 99 cents.

This is fairly clean, and it all happens so fast that your spectators aren't going to catch on or observe anything that they aren't supposed to. I also like the fact that you use a bunch of spare change from your pocket. I don't know why, but to me, it makes an effect seem that much more amazing when you just dump a handful of change out of your pocket and start performing with it. Maybe it's just me...

Florida Keys-

Quote:
Your keys and keyring become a mini Linking Ring routine.

This is one that I can't wait to get down so that I can go out and perform it. It uses a few keys on a keyring, and involves one of the keys linking on and off of the keyring. It looks extremely clean, and I think is more "modern" and definitely more casual than the standard linking rings routine.

Florida Keys is definitely a keeper from this set, and one that I predict most people who purchase this DVD will perform every chance they get. I believe this one is available to see on the Demo Video; go check it out!

Ring Fright-

Quote:
Toss a borrowed wedding band into the air and dramatically stab it with your finger.

This effect sounds wonderful, and it really is, but it's not really as impromptu as the rest of the items on the DVD. For example, you can just walk up to anybody, take their ring, toss it, and stab it on your finger. You have to be more "picky" than that. For example, I can't wait to show my Dad and Step-Mom this weekend, because I know it will work with their rings. I also want to perform it for my history teacher for the same reason.

Apart from the effect, Greg also teaches two "gags" that he always uses to prelude the effect which are a great way of leading into Ring Fright or leading out of it. The first is the standard "ring switches fingers" that magicians have been doing for ages. The other is a gag that will probably get the spectators riled up for a few seconds, but they will start lol'ing as soon as they realize what really happened. I can't really say much, because I think if people are going to use Greg's gags (he should produce a DVD with that title), then they should purchase the DVD.

Trick Question, Questionable Trick-

Quote:
A very convincing Copper/Silver transposition with the spare change in your pocket.

Basically, you put a penny and a dime in a spectator's hand. The reach inside their closed fist, remove a coin, and place it on the back of their hand. The coin on their hand magically switches for the coin in their hand.

Again with this effect, it may be what I need to start building up my confidence in performing coin magic. I'm kind of a sissy when it comes to coin. I know I'm not very good with them right now, so I'm scared to perform effects that I even know I have down. I just don't have that "comfort factor" that I do with cards. For example, with cards I could take a deck out and start blowing minds without any planning ahead of time. If someone handed me a handful of change and told me to start performing, it would be my mind that would be blown. :wink:

You may view this effect in the demo video if you want a more specific and detailed description. I like this effect, but I firmly believe that you HAVE to have confidence while performing it, or you will get caught. Obviously, this philosophy can be applied to basically any effect, but I think it especially applies to this effect.

Playful Pickpocketing-

Quote:
Rob your audience blind- they'll love you for it.

I don't really think this needs much explaining or review, but I need some filler to make my review adequately long. :) Basically, Greg teaches you the very extreme basics of pickpocketing and putpocketing (sunglasses, placing items in coat jackets, etc.). If you want to do a full-fledged pickpocketing routine, DO NOT buy this DVD simply for that. Greg says himself that if you want to learn the finer details of pickpocketing and how to get different objects in different locations, to pick up a DVD that was meant for that. This just gives you enough to play around with the audience, and nothing more. Still fun, though.

Recap Revisited-

Quote:
Revamped. Revitalized. Remarkable.

This effect is by far the one that I was most excited about from this DVD. The cap from the pen is disappearing, reappearing ,switching ends of the pen, etc. all throughout this fun routine. I personally am going to use my Stealth Pen for this effect, and then obviously follow it up with my Stealth Pen routine. This quick trick is an amazing way to "warm up" your spectators and get them ready for the rest of the performance. I am in love with this effect.

I believe this effect is in the Demo Video, as well, if you care to look at it. I think seeing this one alone will convince you to get the DVD; it did for me!

Overall

Overall, this DVD was well worth the $20 I paid for it (5 for $99), and I would have easily been more than satisfied with it had I paid full price. It truly is an awesome DVD, and I highly regret not getting it sooner. Highly recommended. I predict I will actually use a large majority of these effects... not only for when magic is requested and I don't have anything on me, but even with planned performances... it really is that good!

And if you want, I'm sure it would be simple to "upgrade" some of these effects with more "magician-like" props. Such as actual sponge balls, classier pens than a Bic, half dollars instead of quarters, etc. However ,I think they are all just fine the way they are, and give a better "casual feel" to the effect. I'll stick with the props that he uses.

Post subject: Re: On The Spot by Gregory Wilson
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:54 pm 
Penguin

Good comprehensive review. I agree with you about the coin work--I'm completely focused on cards right now and don't exactly have time for coins, but seeing Greg perform makes me want to learn. I guess it's time to pick up Modern Coin Magic and some David Roth.

I really like the premise of the DVD, however unoriginal it may be. The idea of having next to nothing in my pockets and being able to perform full-scale routines is very appealing.

Heh. This has gotten me in the mood to watch this DVD again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:03 pm 
Emperor Penguin

danger_ wrote:
Good comprehensive review. I agree with you about the coin work--I'm completely focused on cards right now and don't exactly have time for coins, but seeing Greg perform makes me want to learn. I guess it's time to pick up Modern Coin Magic and some David Roth.

I have a feeling that I could perform most of the coin material that I have learned, but since I haven't ever performed with coins, I need to start out with something small and simple.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:06 pm 
born to perform.

Awesome review. 3/4 Across isn't TOO bad, but does take some practice to get down. I went at it furiously for a month and got it 100%. That silly trick has served me very well over time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

akirafist wrote:
Awesome review. 3/4 Across isn't TOO bad, but does take some practice to get down. I went at it furiously for a month and got it 100%. That silly trick has served me very well over time.

Yes, I had the same trouble with a Sankey effect, so that's the only reason I know that I suck with the Goshman Pinch. Oh well, it's a neat little effect, and I'm sure worth the practice to have an impromptu coins across that is that clean and looks that good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:03 pm 
born to perform.

I've had this dvd for a while and I was planning to write a review for it soon, but thankfully you wrote this one, so now I don't have to! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

evanbishop wrote:
I've had this dvd for a while and I was planning to write a review for it soon, but thankfully you wrote this one, so now I don't have to! :D

Any other work that you'd like me to do for you? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:22 am 
born to perform.

Awesome full review!!!

I'll have to put this DVD on my list.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:30 am 
born to perform.

Great review...I can't believe none of us ever bothered to review this one before. Anyways thanks for finally taking the time. 3/4 across....worth the practice. One of my favorites from On the spot.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

1. You haven't even performed this stuff and your reviewing it?
2. I think Greg is one of the worst teachers I've ever encountered.
3. This is, IMO, the most overrated DVD in magic. I have no clue why it is 50$. 3/4 accross is the only thing I got out of it and I haven't used it in about a year. Wouldn't dare try it now.

Don't think I'm just bashing Greg. He's one of my favorite performers to watch but I'm not crazy over his products.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:07 pm 
born to perform.

Sweepingreaper4 wrote:
1. You haven't even performed this stuff and your reviewing it?
2. I think Greg is one of the worst teachers I've ever encountered.
3. This is, IMO, the most overrated DVD in magic. I have no clue why it is 50$. 3/4 accross is the only thing I got out of it and I haven't used it in about a year. Wouldn't dare try it now.

Don't think I'm just bashing Greg. He's one of my favorite performers to watch but I'm not crazy over his products.

You are a rare breed. I guess somebody has to not like him.
As for a review before performance? If we all practiced as much as we should before performing, and then performed a lot before reviewing then even the easiest tricks, DVDs, and books wouldn't get a review until long after its release. Those who wait for reviews before they buy would still be waiting for Spin, Gum, Mojo ect. Most magicians could rate trick potential, teaching quality, production quality, skill level the trick is geared for after a few days of practice and thought. Experience with performing will give you a deeper understanding of audience reaction and angle sensitivity but a poorly written book or poorly taught DVD won't get any better after you have performed the trick 1000 times. You will be better in performance but a bad teacher is still a bad teacher.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm 
Team Penguin

adjones wrote:
akirafist wrote:

Yes, I had the same trouble with a Sankey effect, so that's the only reason I know that I suck with the Goshman Pinch. Oh well, it's a neat little effect, and I'm sure worth the practice to have an impromptu coins across that is that clean and looks that good.

Is it Shake and Bake? (my GOTO coin trick? :P )

Anyway, AWESOME review as always! SUPER glad to see you are back!

As for the Goshman Pinch though, I thought that my pinkies were deformed and that I could NOT learn it at all, but I kept doing it when I would watch TV or whatever, and for some reason, it suddenly one day just got REALLY easy. There is a moment of, "OOOOOOOOOOH" to the goshman pinch.

Again, nice review and I hope to see more!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:01 pm 
born to perform.

I got this DVD on early on when I started magic and I need to watch it again (along with Any Time Anywhere)

This was my first introduction to Greg and I loved his style.

Re-Capped revisited and questionable trick are the only two that I learned when I watched this DVD the first time and they are two of my favorite tricks. I loved questionable trick because it doesn't require you to carry a bunch of change and it fooled my dad the first time I did it to him (which is quite hard to do btw! lol)

re-capped is deff my fave though. I love the simplicity of the effect and the huge reactions I get from it. I still need to learn that flourish he does though... it always flew away or hit me in the face lol

great review!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:00 pm 
born to perform.

Re-capped revisited is definitly one of the top 5 impromptu effects for kids of all time. Adults love it too but kids go nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Popchris wrote:
Is it Shake and Bake? (my GOTO coin trick? :P )

It sure is.