View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spin | Matt Sconce
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:35 am 
Penguin

Spin by Matt Sconce

PK | Easy | Download | 1 hr. 3 min. | $32* | http://www.papercranemagic.com/spin.htm

*Preorder the DVD and get the instant download NOW plus get a free instant download of PowerWord: Fall by Matt Sconce

A strange and mysterious character walks into the room he has an unusual talent for distorting the laws of nature and making them follow his command. Is it possible can someone have this much power? I have seen this before in movies but this was no movie this really happened, it just looked so real.:

Spin large objects or small objects seemingly with the power of your mind with impromptu ease, with no gimmicks, blowing, threads, or magnets. Instantly repeatable, and absolutely dependable.

I just need to get it off my back...I only have three words say: I LOVE SPIN!

When I saw this, one word popped into my head: darn!

'Spin' doesn't use a "new" principle in magic, BUT what Matt has done here is taken this principle to the 'next level'; but it's an exploration of an old method.

You can move pretty much anything you can come in contact with [you'll have some limitations, but you're run into objects you're definitely be able to spin].

Matt teaches you how to move; a pen, VHS tape, a CD or DVD case [with the disks still inside], a large kitchen knife [this one looks INSANE], a small case of dental floss [which just looks eerie], and a pair of scissors.

Matt, just as in PowerWord:Fall, explains why and how this principle works. Matt takes you in-depth; giving you all the tips, tricks and subtleties that make this effect what it is, he LITERALLY leaves no stone untouched. From what objects you can move, why it works with said object, what surfaces work and why, where misdirection is needed, how to make everything convincing, and a few more chapters! Matt's tips are really helpful, as well...so LISTEN TO THEM! All filmed in Papercrane format=top notch!

The spinning of the object is SHEER BEAUTY, there's no other word that can explain it!

A few bonuses [using the 'Spin Method', but in a different and creative way]:

Shaun Dunn teaches his application of the effect:

Where a pen spins on top of a sugar or salt jar and points at the selected card.

What I like about here is the build-up of the effect. Another nice thing is the pen spinning and 'pointing' at their card is a second blow to the head, NOTHING the spectators are expecting.

Then comes Shane Black with is contribution:

5 cards are laid on top of 5 bottle caps [or spoons for 18-] and a[n] [indifferent] playing card is casted over the cards, where 1 card slowly spins, the selected card.

KILLER! An [application] of the principle that I REALLY enjoyed. Their selected playing card spinning will send SHIVERS DOWN THEIR SPINE!

I recently performed this yesterday at a Holiday Party I was performing at, with a pen and it left the spectator in awe, no lie! I innocently place down the pen on top of a borrowed water bottle [I'm so far ahead, it hurts!] and I use 'The Force' to move the pen [with my hands literally inches away]. I then let the spectator examine the pen and he was literally taking it all apart and checking out the bottle that HE LET ME BORROW! He then said, to his friends/family, [with this expression in his face, as if has never seen anything like it before], 'You guys missed it! He was moving a pen! WITHOUT blowing on it!".

Spin is pure, clean, simple, direct, powerful, beautiful...and I can keep going ALL day!

Two words: GET THIS!

Post subject: Re: Spin | Matt Sconce
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:36 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the review. Two questions.
1. What's the setup time like? Are you able to do this on request or do you have to be alone for a minute?
2. The first thing you see in the demo is a spinning pen being stopped with PK. Is this achievable with spin?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:50 pm 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
Thanks for the review. Two questions.
1. What's the setup time like? Are you able to do this on request or do you have to be alone for a minute?
2. The first thing you see in the demo is a spinning pen being stopped with PK. Is this achievable with spin?

Hello there! Let me answer the questions in order.
1. Setup time is almost immediate. You can do it in front of the people, or right before approaching them. Both ways are taught on the Download/DVD. You need 1-2 second for setup. You can do this on request.
2. Yep, you can stop a spinning pen or larger object with SPIN and even reverse its direction.

Hope this helps! Best wishes! Matt Sconce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:27 pm 
born to perform.

Great answers. I think I might have to pick this up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:29 am 
Penguin

Can the spectators hands be touching mine while performing, like if im trying to 'GATHER ENERGY'?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:34 am 
Penguin

jonoborn wrote:
Can the spectators hands be touching mine while performing, like if im trying to 'GATHER ENERGY'?

Yes, the Spectator's hands can be touching yours while performing SPIN. -Matt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
Great answers. I think I might have to pick this up.

I hope you get a lot out of the effect! I am happy to answer any more questions others may have about SPIN. As you can tell, I really love this effect. Setup is 1-2 seconds and can be done in front of the person or before you approach them (Both ways are discussed on the video). You can definitely walk right up to someone and do it. No angle restrictions. What you see in the demo is what you get. No gimmicks, no lighting issues, no pushing the objects with your hands secretly. The closest thing to real magic I have ever performed. You will feel like your are really doing magic, which is the thing I look for when choosing effects for my arsenal.
Best wishes! -Matt Sconce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:22 am 
Penguin

Here is a great comment from another forum about SPIN living up to the hype: :D

"This is excellent. I've used this principle a lot, and experimented with it quite a bit. Matt's advances in both preparation and execution are the best I've come across. The kitchen knife in particular blew me away. I saw it and thought, "Oh come on, that'll never work." Walked into my kitchen, and a few minutes later, walked back out a believer. Nice work, Mr. Sconce. Now I'm keeping an eye out for what other things I can spin.

Actually, let me clarify that I don't mean that last part literally. A lot of mentalists think that moving an object just a little bit looks like "realistic" PK, while making it spin like a propeller looks like a magic trick. I'm one of them, and hence I won't literally be spinning anything with Spin. However, the knowledge within it can certainly be used for more subtle demonstrations than those shown. (You can move the kitchen knife just a little bit, and slowly.) So even if the presentations aren't to your taste, the technique is good stuff for any PK fan." -Quote from Quinn from the Cafe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:15 pm 
Penguin

Here is a great comment and summary of the quality of SPIN from Murphy Magic's Tim Trono, as well as a wonderful story from another SPIN user!

Quote:
On 2010-01-15 14:28, Tim Trono wrote:
I watched Spin last week. Matt has done a great job. Many of you are already familiar with the basic idea but Matt has really pulled this principle apart, studied it, played with it, pushed the boundaries, and imparts all of the information he has learned on Spin. I think it is vital to know this type of information. One should always be ready to do magic and Matt really teaches you how to do some amazing impromptu animation effects. If you have Spin and Energy Bill you have amazing impromptu animation magic and it is hard to get a stronger effect for laymen. Learn Spin, Energy Bill, Sinful, Fizz Master, Titan's Finger, etc. and you are always set for a miracle. I used Spin at a restaurant and the waiter was blown away. This DVD is highly recommended.

Tim Trono

Quote:
On 2010-01-15 14:54, Nechto wrote:
I showed Spin to a friend yesterday and he was completely gobsmacked! I didn't even get it 'set free' and spinning, it was more smaller movements which I think added to it. He was literally looking at the pen then me then the pen then me etc, oh and after all that looking he picked his chin up off the floor and sat there making strange hand poses to the pen desperately trying to emulate 'chi'. Classic.

Thanks again Matt!

Oh I floored my boss at the magic shop as well!!!!!

Woo hoo!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:49 pm 
Penguin

hi matt sconce, would this trick be good for school. also can i spin an object like a pen on a desk or a table. also is it easy to learn and perform since im more of a beginner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Penguin

This would be amazing in a school setting! You will need the object to be sitting on a balance point to SPIN it so flat on a desk will not work. The edge of a desk, balanced, would work. To demonstrate the ease of learning for this, I just taught my 2 year old daughter to do it and she showed my wife when she came downstairs. SPIN is easy to learn, and very powerful in its impact. A french magician recently commented on SPIN. here is what he said.

Quote:
spin is too good ,when i first tried it, it's like i have had real power !!!
it even fool myself !!
it's just an amazing piece of magic totaly impromtu, no gimmick, no thread no magnet, just the bottle, the pen and you
it freaks people out
this is real, thank so much you Matt
daniel
french magician

Best Wishes, Matt Sconce

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:02 pm 
born to perform.

Matt, if this is true "no gimmick, no thread no magnet, just the bottle, the pen and you" then you are a warlock. I myself do not beleive the hype as it has to have something to make it work, hence a gimmick!

Zambini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:15 pm 
born to perform.

zambini wrote:
Matt, if this is true "no gimmick, no thread no magnet, just the bottle, the pen and you" then you are a warlock. I myself do not beleive the hype as it has to have something to make it work, hence a gimmick!

Zambini

There are many methods that aren't gimmicks.

I know the method without owning the effect, because I learned it a long...LONG...time ago in school. With that said, I'm sure that the DVD has some ideas on how to actually set up that would be better than what I know, so this effect is on my wish list.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:17 pm 
born to perform.

Even a grain of salt is a gimmick!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:22 pm 
Penguin

You guys are hilarious. :D Nope, no gimmick. I define gimmick as something extra you need to have with you to do the trick. All you need is an object and something to set it on. There is no gimmick. I am not a Warlock though, just in case you are wondering. :) The people that have gotten the trick agree the marketing and add copy are 100% honest and transparent. Check out some of what they are saying and then you can decide whether or not it is for you. To Re-Cap...No Gimmick. :wink:
-Matt Sconce