View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fresh Mint by Cameron Francis Review
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:50 pm 
Penguin

Fresh Mint by Cameron Francis

Effects:

THE FRESH MINT EFFECT

You display a small tin, wrapped in a rubber band, bearing the words “TIME CAPSULE” – this is left in full view. After asking for a spectator’s bill you have them sign their name on their bill (any currency) and hands it to you. Placing the signed bill inside your fist you give it a little squeeze and incredibly, THE BILL COMPLETELY VANISHES! Or did it? You go on to explain that you actually sent the bill back in time! The tin is opened and inside is discovered a ‘Tic-Tac’ box, through which a folded bill can be clearly seen! The ‘Tic-Tac’ box is dumped into your hand. You pop the lid off and cleanly dump the bill into your spectators awaiting hand – the box is now clearly empty. They unfold the bill and sure enough, it bears their signature!

The main effect, Fresh Mint Effect is by far my favorite effect taught on this entire DVD. What I like about this effect is how openly fair everything is throughout the entire performance. There are two ways I like to perform this effect, the first one is the exact method taught on the DVD. While having the container sitting out in full view, with a rubber band across it, is always right in front of the spectator(s). There are no funny, false transfers of the container. So after having someone initial the bill, (or you can have them write down the serial number for later verification), is cleanly and openly placed into your fist. You then can have a spectator place their own fist over yours that is holding the bill, and as if by magic the bill vanishes. Then you can say, “Actually it didn’t disappear, it has traveled back in time.” From here, you can have a spectator pick up the “TIME CAPSULE” themselves, remove the rubber band and then have them dump the Tic-Tac container that has a bill which is clearly visible inside. With no funny moves or awkward switches, you simply take off the top of the Tic-Tac container right in front of the spectator(s) and out falls their own signed bill. The Tic-Tac container is shown empty. And if you wish, you can end completely clean by giving everything out for examination, which is covered in the DVD, and is extremely clever. But I have not ONCE needed to do this because of how visual the effect is.

But it doesn’t end there! Cameron Francis’ ‘Fresh Mint’ is a true utility gimmick, limited only by your imagination! You can only switch bills, business cards, playing cards and billets invisibly! The DVD also contains four more complete routines:

MINTY FRESH

A borrowed and signed bill mysteriously changes into a handful of Tic-Tac’s! The spectators signed bill is discovered sealed in the Tic-Tac box!

Another great effect that utilizes all the same moves already described above, gets extremely great reactions once they see how open the transformation is from their bill to a handful of Tic-Tac’s.

E.S.P MINT

An ESP card, freely chosen by a spectator is shown to have been predicted on a business card, sealed inside a Tic-Tac container that has been in full view throughout!

I personally do not use this effect all that much, but the same procedure to attain this effect is the same method used for each and every effect you can perform with the Fresh Mint gimmick.

MENTAL MINT

A folded business card sealed inside a Tic-Tac box that has been in full view throughout, incredibly predicts the exact date or place a spectator thinks of!

The same can be said about this as I already mentioned about the E.S.P Mint effect. It’s a great effect and goes over very well, but just something I rarely use.

MINTED

Worth the price of this DVD! An eye-popping transposition between a bill and a signed playing card! Just wait and see!

Now THIS is the second effect I use just about as much as the original handling of Fresh Mint. If you really, and I mean REALLY want to impress somebody, then this is the perfect effect for you. You take out your Tic-Tac container which contains a dollar bill inside, which you say, “This is my lucky $1 dollar bill and it will aid me in perform this effect. Placing the Tic-Tac container aside with the $1 dollar bill clearly inside, is set aside and in full view the whole time. You proceed to have someone select a card and have them sign their name across the card. Let’s say they choose the 9 of Hearts and after you replace it into the deck which seemingly vanishes. You take the Tic-Tac container with your lucky $1 dollar bill inside, and begin to wave it back and forth. Then, as if by pure magic, the dollar bill transforms into a playing card, right in front of their eyes! You take off the lid of the Tic-Tac container and cleanly and fairly dump out the card. As they open the card, it turns out to be their very own signed and selected card! So where is the $1 dollar bill you might ask? As you take the deck, you spread it across the table, and to the surprise of the audience they see a $1 dollar bill wrapped around a card. Upon closer inspection, it’s not just one card, but the three remaining cards of the signed selected card, the 9 of Diamonds, the 9 of Clubs and the 9 of Spades. You can then give everything out for examination.

Price: $22.50 here on Penguin Magic

Teaching: As with all of the effects that come from the very clever mind of Cameron Francis, each and every effect is explained in great detail. David Forrest is also there in the teaching aspects of each and every effect. Acting as both the spectator and also giving tips along the way. So anyone who wants to perform any of these effects, will not have to worry about complicated explanations or not receiving the right tips and tricks.

Quality of teaching/instructions and DVD Visual and Audio aspects:

As I already stated above everything is taught with great care and both Cameron Francis and David Forrest take their time to make sure you understand how to perform each effect. As for the Video and Sound quality, it’s not the best, but decent enough for you to see and hear everything well enough to understand. I’m not sure if it’s just the way Full 52 Productions record their products, which would be nice if it was close to HD, but regardless you will still have no difficulty watching and learning.

Quality of materials(if it is a gimmick etc):

The gimmick that makes everything possible is so EXTREMELY clever and will never, ever lead your audience to sort of guess how the effects were accomplished. It does not come with any of the items needed to perform the effect, but take a quick trip down to your local Liquor store and you can pick up everything needed for about $4-$5 bucks.
Also, once you create the gimmick, which is very easy to do and not all that time consuming. You won’t have to ever worry about making another one, although if you want to perform the MINTED effect, then you’ll have to make a separate gimmick, but it follows the same creating procedures as the original Fresh Mint gimmick. I timed myself making both of them, and it only took me about 10 minutes to create, and they have lasted for many months now.

Difficulty:

The difficulty to perform any of these effects would be about 3 or 4 out of 10. It is all very easy and clever to achieve the effects, and simplicity is the key here. Now, although it’s not that difficult to perform, I still suggest practicing any of the effects you want to perform for about a week, or maybe less. Just so you can fully understand EVERYTHING and you won’t feel awkward while performing. Like we all know, sometimes the simplest of tricks hit very, very hard. So if you like very visual and almost impossible looking effects, then this is the perfect effect for you. It truly is the ultimate signed bill to impossible location effect that I have ever come across.

Applications:

A majority of the time I use this as a closer because of how powerful the effect is, so I haven’t ever tried using it as an opener or even close to the end of my routine. Simply because it hits so dang hard and people will definitely remember you after performing this effect. Here’s another application I have used the effect for, which also gets tremendous reactions. Now, even though I said I don’t use it for an opener, what I will do is ask to borrow a spectator’s bill that has been signed and make it vanish completely. Then I will say something like, “Hmmm, that’s odd, I didn’t think it would work!”
After that I say, “Well, we’ll get back to it in a moment” and then I will go into two or three more effects. All the while the spectator’s keep glancing at the “TIME CAPSULE” tin the whole time, just wondering what in the heck it is. The tension rises as they begin to wonder if they will ever get the bill back. So once I am ready to perform my last effect, I will say, “I noticed you guys have been staring and pondering just what this little container is, so remember that bill you signed earlier that vanished?” By this point they are twitching with anticipation and once I perform Fresh Mint, people absolutely FREAK once they find out their bill had been sent back in time and into the TIME CAPSULE.

So I HIGHLY suggest anyone and everyone to pick this up, because the reactions are out of this world.

Overall Rating:

I cannot suggest this effect enough, it is so simple, clever and not to mention hits extremely hard. Here is one variation that I also have used to really take this effect to new heights.

After borrowing a bill, I have them write down the serial number of the dollar and keep for later verification. I then take their bill and tear it into a couple pieces, and then show that it still is the spectators borrowed bill with matching serial number. Then, after making the torn pieces vanish, I have the spectator open the tin, dump out the Tic-Tac container, and inside is the spectators very own bill, with matching serial number and completely intact! This effect is extremely versatile and I know that once you guys buy a copy, you can come up with all sorts of awesome variations.

So I hope you guys liked the review and that it helps to persuade some of you to buy the effect, because the effects and reactions you will receive is absolutely priceless.

Post subject: Re: Fresh Mint by Cameron Francis Review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:06 am 
born to perform.

Nice review!!

It looks like a pretty cool effect. I'm adding it to my wish list now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:20 pm 
born to perform.

WoW I must be magic. I was thinking about buying this and started looking for reviews and Wham!!!! Here it is. LOL. Thanks by the way for a great review on this. Well done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:34 am 
Penguin

I'm glad you guys liked the review, I tried my best to give as much detail as I possibly could so everyone would be able to understand how powerful Fresh Mint truly is. I was fortunate enough to receive this for free when I pre-ordered Cameron's Sudden Impact effect, and I just absolutely love both of the effects.

If you're going to place an order for one, you will not once be disappointed and will want to perform any of the effects as often as you can.

My next review will be Exile from Mathieu Bich which I am about half way through to finishing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:58 am 
born to perform.

Cool I have been mixed as well on getting that. Cant wait to see the review.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:02 pm 
Penguin

I'm not a big fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:28 pm 
Penguin

Pauldelaaaa wrote:
I'm not a big fan.

You're not a big fan of what, the Fresh Mint effect?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm 
Penguin

Yeah, not a big fan - but id always prefer to do a slightly different effect or different method. I just find it a bit too iffy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:03 pm 
born to perform.

Pauldelaaaa wrote:
I'm not a big fan.

Thanks for that little comment there. It helped me understand the product so much better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:34 pm 
born to perform.

I'm definitely getting this effect sometime soon. Great review!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 pm 
born to perform.

evanbishop wrote:
Pauldelaaaa wrote:
I'm not a big fan.

Thanks for that little comment there. It helped me understand the product so much better.

Hey it's not his review. He's just stating his impression. I personally couldn't explane in detail why I don't like the new Strip gimmick. I just look at it and think, "What a stupid idea...why on earth would someone pay $50.00 for that?"

I look at this trick and think, "What a cool idea! I need that on my wishlist!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
evanbishop wrote:
Pauldelaaaa wrote:
I'm not a big fan.

Hey it's not his review. He's just stating his impression!"

Thanks, I think ol' cranky got it out for me. Calm it bishop.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:45 pm 
Penguin

Hey, guys, thanks for the kind words.

This effect has been a WORKHORSE for me for years. I use it for all my walk around and formal shows as it's so versitile. Appearances, predictions, tranformations, you name it.

Pauldelaaaa, if you need some help with the effect to make it work for you, shoot me a pm. I understand not all effects are for everyone but this is a utility item with many possibilities. If you paid good money for it, I want to make sure it works for you.

Best Wishes,

Cameron Francis

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 am 
born to perform.

The man himself. Thanks Cameron for all the great effects.

Lance.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:42 am 
Penguin

Thank you! Much appreciated.