View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Apocalypse Vol.1 No.11
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:58 am 
born to perform.

Apocalypse Vol.1 No.11

Effects:

Force Able (Dai Vernon)
This is a "riffle force-esque" type force. So, it looks like you riffle up the deck with your fingertips, stop, and then lift the packet up to show the spectator's card to them. This won't always work in situations where a riffle force is suggested, however, it will work in times where you only need to force one card. It can also be used as a glimpse and then you can go right into the force, which is actually how it is taught originally. That method of glimpsing and preparing can look a little suspicious if not done under misdirection, so personally I like doing a slip cut to get to the required position. It will not take you long to figure out your own way of getting to position after reading it. Angles are a little more sensitive then a normal riffle force, but in this force, you do not have to hold a break and you actually do pick up the cards exactly where they said "Stop." I think this is a good force to use along with the riffle force to throw people off, as far as methods go. Plus it's Dai Vernon.

Mental Symmetry (Looy Simonoff)
In effect, a woman and a man, preferably that are involved in a relationship, are invited to help in an experiment to see how connected they really are. The woman then thinks of a card from a fan and the man is able to tell her the card. Then the procedure is reversed as the man thinks of a card and the woman is able to tell him the card he is thinking of! Yes, that's what really happens. Now, when you read the method you'll probably be a little disappointed, but you must remember the unbelievable impact of such an effect! Plus it has a nice premise (Two lovers or people being connected in a supernatural way). The conditions will not always be right for this one, but when you are able to do it, it's a killer.

The Absolute Touch (Pavel)
A piece of paper, or dollar bill, is tossed into the audience and somebody places a coin of each denomination into it. They crumple up the dollar and bring the coin package on stage. They magician shows an empty cloth that he sys will shield the coins from his eyes while he tries to feel the dates on each one. The package is placed inside, and the magician reaches his empty hand inside. One-by-one, the magician reaches in and says, "I believe this is the _______ and I think the date is_______" The coin is pulled out and the date is verified. When all the coins are exhausted, everything can be examined. For some reason, possibly for personal reasons, this one settles really well with me. I feel like I could perform this with absolute confidence and just have a lot of fun with it. Something about the trick seems so pure and clean to me.

Ultimate Ace Assembly (Buddy Anckner)
Four red aces are shown and then twelve blue indifferent cards are also shown. The aces are laid out in the traditional ace assembly layout, and then three indifferent cards are added to each ace. The aces vanish from each packet individually and each time an ace vanishes it is shown to have appeared in the leader ace packet. I personally like revealing all of the aces to have travelled at one time, instead of showing one more ace each time. The routine is a fooler and the idea of using different colored backs is very appealing, but I'm not convinced enough to completely switch over to this version.

Remembrance of Cards Past (Phil Goldstein)
A card is selected and signed on the face by a spectator. The card is placed in the middle, and it subsequently comes to the top. It is placed in the middle again, and this time the card rises out of the deck (sort of). You tell the spectator that they will always remember what card they picked because it has your, the magician's, signature on the back and it has changed back-color. This just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There are much better color changing back routines out there. And the rising card action looks very unnatural, because you're hand holding the cards is turned upside-down and the back of hand is towards the audience. It doesn't seem very magical, and a two-phase ACR is just not very substantial.

Marked Transpo (Bob King)
A penny and a quarter are both marked with a Sharpie so that they can be identified at all times. The penny is placed under one hand, and the quarter under another. A few seconds later they change places instantly! Everything can be examined. This is a simple effect that I think could be very effective. It's virtually impromptu, but you do need to be seated at a table.

One Hand Flourish Cut (Ken Krenzel)
This kind've looks like a charlier cut onto the table, but not exactly. It's hard to describe it, but the cut is very easy to do. I was able to do it immediately. Not only is this cut somewhat flourishy, it is also completely false! I'm always looking for more false cuts and shuffles, and this makes a nice addition. You should probably only use this cut one or two times during your show, because if you keep performing this cut it might start looking a bit suspicious. Used moderately, it's a nice cut to know.

Columns:

Out To Lunch
Starting chain reactions with your table magic, and answering the question; "How long should I spend at each table?"

Unlabelled Columns
An addition/clarification is made for Brother John Hamman's card effect, Two Shuffles Harry.

Tidings
Reviews of Jon Racherbaumer's book Arch Triumphs, the Ross Bertram book, a couple convention reviews, a new Frank Garcia book, and the announcement of Richard Kaufman's new card magic book.

Closing:
Wow it's been such a long time since I completed my last Apocalypse review! I'm still going to continue writing these reviews, but they will not be on a weekly basis. School has picked up, snow has fallen, and time seems to be going faster and faster! Maybe I'll start the weekly schedule up again in the summer, I guess we'll figure that out when we get there.

In the mean time, I wrote a letter to Harry Lorayne thanking him for everything he has done and letting him know about these reviews. I got a nice letter back, but he wasn't too happy about the very low price of Apocalypse on Penguin. He said, "That just doesn't help anyone." Obviously, since this is the Penguin Magic forum, I have to give the link to Penguin Magic for purchase, but I can also provide the link to Harry Lorayne's website. More about that below...

And just a reminder, the main reason I do these reviews is because I feel that there is such great material in Apocalypse that needs to be shared and this is my way of letting you know why you should buy Apocalypse. Of course I don't get any money from sales, but I just feel good knowing that I have possibly helped somebody find the really good magic. How about instead of buying the latest $30 dvd that came out, you save that money and later buy a volume of Apocalypse. Trust me, you'll get WAY more out of these books than all the dvd's that are out there.

As always, if you have any questions about the material in this issue of Apocalypse please feel free to ask.

Buy Apocalypse!

NOTE-Harry Lorayne's website is http://www.HarryLorayneMagic.com. I have to provide the link to Penguin Magic above, but you should really fully support the creator and buy direct from Harry. Plus, if you ask, he'll autograph them all for you-absolutely free!

Past Review Directory:
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.1
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.2
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.3
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.4
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.5
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.6
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.7
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.8
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.9
Apocalypse Vol.1 No.10

Also look at My Magic Reviews Blog! It has all of the reviews I've written and soon I might be posting some stuff there exclusively!

Post subject: Re: Apocalypse Vol.1 No.11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:36 pm 
born to perform.

Speaking of Harry Lorayne, I just saw this performance on the Cafe of him performing his Magic Square routine. Watch it here. Seriously take the time to watch it, because the performance skills that Harry shows in this video are phenomenal. He knows how to work an audience and really get them excited. Heck, I was excited even though I know how it works, plus I'm not even there!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:57 am 
born to perform.

Great to see you keeping up with these Evan. Nice work!

-JT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:25 pm 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
Great to see you keeping up with these Evan. Nice work!

-JT

Hey, thanks Miniserb! Not sure if "keeping up" are exactly the right words, given the amount of these I've done lately, but I'm trying lol. I haven't seen you (metaphorically) much lately, are you just lurking or have you been taking a bit of a break?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 am 
born to perform.

Little bit of both. Classes are just getting tougher, so I've been laying off the magic. I'll be back soon, though!

-JT