View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Review: Gum by Jeff Prace
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:57 pm 
Penguin

Title and Creator: Gum by Jeff Prace

Effect(s):

Orbit:
A Pack of gum with only one piece left instantly turns into a full pack. You can then immediately hand out a piece of gum to a hungry spectator.

The first gum effect that kick starts this amazing Gum effect DVD is very impressive and has not ONCE failed to drop jaws in astonishment. What I like to do with his particular gum effect is perform it in one of two ways instead of making it a stand alone effect. After performing the magic effects in my routine I usually stop and take a break from my card performance. I will then proceed to take out a piece of gum nonchalantly as if I am taking a break. Next I usually say, “Oh, please forgive my manners would you like a piece of gum?” 9 times out 10 they will always say “yes please” or just a “yes” if THEY in fact are the ones with no manners (ha!) and proceed by performing Orbit. Another great way that I have had performing this effect is usually around friends and family. After throwing away the piece of gum I was chewing I will look at the Orbit pack of gum I have and make a comment about having one piece left. Not wanting to go to the store and buy a new pack, I will perform the Orbit effect and everyone that was watching me after making that statement drop their jaws and their eyes open wide as plate saucers. This is truly an amazing piece of magic.

Re-Wrapped:
A chewed piece of gum stretched between the magician’s hands magically wraps itself into a brand new piece! Both hands are shown empty and the gum can immediately be given as a sweet souvenir.

Now this is by far my favorite effect on the DVD to perform because I have used this as a way to start my magic performance before I actually start my actual performance. I’ll start by introducing myself and right before I get read to perform I say, “Oh, please excuse my manners of chewing gum while talking, please hang on a moment.” Now what would normally happen is you would throw the piece away. But since we’re talking about Re-Wrapped I astound the spectator’s by turning the chewed piece into a new piece of gum that I will save for later. Whenever I do this, I perform it in a way that it is almost second nature to me, that turning the piece of chewed gum into a new piece of gum is just natural for me. And it is for THIS reason why I love this particular effect so much because of how easy it is, and the fact that the spectator’s are left wondering, “Did he just do what I think he did?” Yes, I did, I used magic to turn what was used into something new!

Insta-Wrap:
Another handling of the chewed gum to a wrapped piece of gum effect, this handling is on steroids!

The same great effect as Insta-Wrap instead this time I usually hand out the piece of gum to a spectator and ask them to hold onto it for me. After that I will continue with my performance and purposely leave the piece of gum with them, so they can wonder and ponder just how in the heck that happened, and if it’s real or not!

Back in Time:
The magician presents a time travel experiment, and in doing so wraps a chewed piece of gum and alters a photo!

I must confess this is the one trick that I have not found to fit my personal style of performing magic. It really is a great effect and I have mainly used it when I am performing my Mentalism act which I am still honing since I am still practicing this genre of magic. Here is what the spectator’s will see when you perform Back in Time.
While chewing a piece of gum before your performance, you make a comment about it being rude to chew a piece of gum while talking and look for something to dispose of the gum. You reach into your pocket and pull out a film canister. From here it is up to you to create the patter as to why you have a picture of yourself blowing a bubble in a photograph. After talking out the film canister you then proceed to reach into your back pocket and pull out a wallet. Upon opening the wallet you show the audience a picture of yourself blowing a huge bubble with a piece of gum. The patter can (and will) change from person to person, so I will try to keep this short by explaining what the effect entails, though if you would like to know my patter, feel free to contact me.
You begin by asking the spectators about traveling through time and which they would prefer, traveling into the future or into the past? I then would say, “Let’s try an experiment with traveling back in time”. Once I have shown them the picture of me blowing a bubble with gum, I replace the picture into the wallet and set it aside. From here I take the piece of chewed gum and place it inside the film canister, and show the audience that they can still see the piece of gum inside the canister. Next I would say, “Okay let’s try our experiment of traveling back in time”. While I am saying this I shake the film canister back and forth, and to their surprise they now see what looks like a new piece of gum where there was once the chewed piece of gum you placed inside. You pop off the top and dump the brand new piece of gum either on the table or into the hands of an awaiting spectator. After this I say, “Well if this has truly worked, and it has astounded me that it has! Then let’s check the photo I had just shown you”. Reaching for the wallet, you open it up and inside is the photo, and once removed now shows a picture of you, without the blow bubble from your mouth! Needless to say, for the spectator’s who I have shown this to, were looking at me dumbfounded. They look at the empty film canister in your hand, the new piece of gum lying on the table, and then back to the photo. They just cannot figure out how in the heck you were able to use the items and the gum you so cleanly have shown, to have traveled back in time!

No More Card Tricks (Easter egg Bonus Effect)
Originally published in June 2009 issue of Magic Magazine and is based off of Paul Harris’s Solid Deception.
You begin by having a spectator name any card and then remove the top card of the deck to find it is not the card they named and replace the card back into the center of the deck.
The patter Jeff likes to use goes something like this, “I really am addicted to card tricks and I like it when I place the spectator’s card back into the deck.” You then proceed to place the next card on top of the deck and place it in the middle. Next you can say, “Normally I would wrap myself in electrical tape so I can no longer be able to play with a deck of cards. Although I found a better way, and that is to wrap the actual deck in the electrical tape”. You then toss the deck which you are holding back and forth between your hands, and to the surprise of the spectator’s the deck is now fully wrapped in the electrical tape.

Now personally, I don’t perform this card trick all that often but when I do decide to perform No More Card Tricks, it has received so very good reactions. The natural way you hold the deck and also the way you handle two of the cards so freely, really fools the heck of out the spectator’s believe it is just a normal deck of cards. Then once you get to the finale of the effect, by tossing the deck between your hands which is now wrapped in electrical tape gets some stellar reactions that have really made this effect worth performing.

Price: $24.95

Teaching:

Jeff does a great job of walking you through each of the steps needed to create the gimmicks needed to achieve each of the effects. They are neither time consuming or difficult to create so you can focus on the presentation of each effect. If you happen to not have some of the items needed already lying around your home, then a quick trip down to your local thrift store with a couple dollars is all that’s needed. Another great feature is the DVD interface is very simple to navigate, and chances are the first item that is highlighted will be hidden Easter egg effect No More Card Tricks. So with the ability to easily navigate where it is you’d like to go is accomplished with extreme ease.

Another great feature is the video quality, although it may not be in HD, is still extremely easy to see while watching the DVD. Both of the construction and instruction phases were crystal clear, as was each performance that follows each of the effects. The sound was also high caliber and worked perfectly on both my 5.1 sound system on my computer, as well as my standard DVD player connected to my TV set. I have noticed that the sound on some of the instructional Magic DVD’s I have purchased required me to change some of the settings to properly hear everything. So I am glad to say that it was not necessary for me to change any settings to properly hear what is being said by either Jeff or the spectators when he is demonstrating each of the effects.

Quality of material (if it is a gimmick etc):

Here is another great feature that I enjoyed while creating the necessary gimmicks to perform each of the effects. The quality of the materials needed is only as good as the manufacturers who create the items for the effects. Which so far have been of extremely good quality, and even with some of the minor alterations needed to achieve the effects, you are still left with a high quality gimmick that will last you quite awhile. Also, as I stated in the teaching portion of this review, none of the gimmicks you need to create are not at all difficult or too time consuming. Even a slap dash attempt at creating the items will affect the quality of your performance, although it wouldn’t hurt to take your time while building the device needed for any of the effects or performances. Even when I created two versions of the same effect, one that I built quickly and the other with a bit more time, I was still very happy with the outcome when I performed switching between the two. With that said, it is just one more reason why I love performing any of the various effects that Jeff Prace has to offer with his effect, Gum.

Difficulty:

The difficulty of an effect can either make a magic effect have great success or is doomed to be placed amongst other magic effects that will probably not see much performance or any at all. Now that is not something anyone has to worry about if you would like to perform any of the effects, because the difficulty of the effects are not at all difficult, and the sleights needed are all taught by Jeff and he does a VERY good job at doing so. If I were to have to place the Gum effects on a scale of 1 to 10, that I can confidently say that it would be about a 3 or 4 at the most. Once the gimmicks you create to perform any of the 4 effects has been finished, which are all easy to create, comes down to how much time and practice you are willing to undertake to make the performances flow with great fluidity. The great thing is that Jeff goes over all of this, and it is all easy to understand and he even goes into details about various handlings or how to end clean for just a couple of effects, which are not difficult at all. I truly believe that any magician, whether just starting out or for the more experienced performers would have a great time putting these effects into your performance. Of course you don’t have to put ALL of the effects, one after the other into your performance, but spread them out which is precisely what I did.

Applications:

Over the course of using the effects taught on Gum by Jeff Prace, I have used the effects in either one of two ways. So far I have used the effects as an opener while the other way I used the Gum effects, as a way to perform magic before I actually started my routine.
You might be wondering, well what does that mean? As you watch the performances Jeff does for Re-Wrapped or Insta-Wrapped, he will begin by apologizing for chewing gum while talking. Then he starts by performing the Re-Wrapped effect and turns his chewed piece of gum into a new piece of gum. So what I did was follow the performance technique, but instead of handing out the piece of gum at the end what I normally do is this. After apologizing for being rude by chewing gum, I turn the piece of chewed gum into a new piece and say, “I’ll save this for later, sorry for the rude gesture folks”. I use the effect in an almost nonchalant fashion, like it just comes natural for me to transform the gum I was chewing into a new piece for later, and people just FREAK at that. Then
I would continue on what the first effect that I wanted to perform as my opening effect.
So as the spectators are watching, they get to see an unusual and never before seen way of handling a chewed piece of gum. They have already witnessed magic before I even began what I wanted to show them in my performance. All of the effects taught are absolutely perfect for the close-up performer, although since that is all that I do I cannot comment about the other various genres of magic. About 95% of the time I will use any of the Gum effects strictly as an opening effect. The other 5% is when I perform Back in Time as a closing effect for some of my performances. Also, since I almost always have a deck of cards with me, I have also been carrying the Orbit gimmick with me as well. After performing card effects for friends and family, I usually take a break from performing them and will start chewing a piece of gum. I either wait for someone to ask, “Hey, could I get a piece of gum please?” or will generally offer a piece when I feel the time is right. You are then perfectly set up to perform Orbit, which I also perform in a nonchalant manner which has always given me astounding reactions.

Overall Rating:

This is such a refreshing take on magic with another ordinary, everyday object that everyone is familiar with that performed magic with. I have performed close-up magic for many, many years and I have performed with items such as: Cards, Coins, Rubber-bands, sponge balls, bottles of water, and so many other common every day items.
Now to incorporate magic with Gum has just made my performances much more fun and versatile. Also the fact that everything that is taught on this DVD by the excellent very clever minded magician Jeff Prace has made magic that much more fun. I honestly do not see how I could NOT see myself performing any of the Gum effects. Not only does the spectator’s love watching me perform these effects, I can honestly say that I love just as much performing them for my close-up audience. From the visual nature of the effects to the easily created gimmicks and performances, I highly suggest any close-up magic performer to try and add any of these into their repertoire, you will not regret it.

Available direct from http://www.jeffpracemagic.com

Post subject: Re: Review: Gum by Jeff Prace
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:56 pm 
born to perform.

Great review rozzerdog. just a question. I dont' think orbit gum is available here in the land down under. can the gimmick be modified to other brands of gum? or can the effect be done with other brands?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:09 pm 
born to perform.

soowee wrote:
Great review rozzerdog. just a question. I dont' think orbit gum is available here in the land down under. can the gimmick be modified to other brands of gum? or can the effect be done with other brands?

Other types of Gum will work for Orbit. Some Juicy Fruit, Big Red, Spearmint, Winterfresh, Doublemint, 5, and Extra will work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:58 pm 
born to perform.

soowee wrote:

Yeah, like Jeff said, Extra works. It's what I am going to be using. Just be careful, with Extra there is a little square in the front that you can see into the packet where the little silver gum holder is...make sure you cover that hole.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

Cheers guys. this sure looks like an amazing effect. Would anyone do this as a restaurant opener?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:06 pm 
Penguin

soowee wrote:
Cheers guys. this sure looks like an amazing effect. Would anyone do this as a restaurant opener?

I have a couple of times, but I didn't use the effect as an actual opener, then again I suppose you could say it is, but I do not perform it as an opening effect. The way I performed the effect is the same way as I wrote in my review after having introduced myself, and it has not once received anything but amazing reactions.