View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Collected Almanac Book - Review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:00 am 
Penguin

This book is just like expert card technique - it is another bible of close-up magic.

Though, this book is a little better, (yet much more advanced), as it doesn't only cover card magic, but ALL magic.

Magic with almost every item possible (even some really weird ones...).

The book is HUGE. Nearly 400 pages (of small text, but not hard to read)! This only means you have a larger selection of tricks to perform/learn though!

I use at least 15 tricks from the book, but only because I have to keep my show at a reasonable length. I could easily perform a lot more tricks in this book, as they are ALL so good. (They are from many different contributors, like Jay Sankey, Richard Kaufman, Derek DelGaudio, Bill Kalush...etc.) So you get to see many minds in magic all combined in one book!

Beware though, some items in this book are very difficult, and will take a TON of practice.

I give this book a 10/10 because of it's versatility, practicality, and all the great minds who contributed to this book. There is no reason why any close-up worker should not have this book and use many tricks from it.

In fact, I was at a magic convention performing some of the tricks in this book, and almost every person asked me where I learned them. Shocked, I made sure to direct them to penguin, where you can buy this book for only $45. (The book WILL last you your whole life if you want to try to master everything within, but it's a great experience and you will learn so much.)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Best regards!

EDIT: I forgot to mention- there are over 800 beautiful illustrations, that make learning easy and fun, plus, there is a 50 page bonus section with real photographs (in black and white, yet crystal clear) that really aid the learning process!

Post subject: Re: Collected Almanac Book - Review
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the review, ordered the book as well, through penguin of course :).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 pm 
born to perform.

I got the book for Christmas and I was surprised at how big it was. There is a lot of stuff to take in. I'm sure whoever else buys this will be happy with their purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

TheReviewer wrote:
EDIT: I forgot to mention- there are over 800 beautiful illustrations, that make learning easy and fun, plus, there is a 50 page bonus section with real photographs (in black and white, yet crystal clear) that really aid the learning process!

That right there just convinced me to add this to my Wish List.

I have a bit easier time learning from DVDs, but if a book has good illustrations I'm not afraid to give it a try.

Thanks for the review!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am 
Penguin

I just checked the price of almanac and it has gone back to $60. Also a lot of other books like the best of friends volumes I and III, apocalypse volumes, classic collection have gone up to almost the retail price.