View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Review Quality.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:35 am 
born to perform.

I suppose there is no way to say this without sounding like an arrogant jerk but I have to say it all the same. It seems that since the announcement of the 17,000 trick review contest some people have been flooding this section with short reviews. Short is not bad, and most of the reviews I have seen would be good for the product pages. The thing is...this is not the product page and you won't bump yourself up the review count score by posting reviews here.

The thing is that in the last few years, particularly in the last year, the review quality in the Penguin Trick Review Forum has really shot up to an excellent level. In fact, some of the reviews and reviewers rival, if not beat, many of the "professional" reviews published in some of the major magic magazines. It has become something very unique and special not just for Penguin but for magic in general. I have read reviews in all the other major online forums, Ellusionist, T-11, even the supposedly "elite" community of the Magic Cafe' and none of them post reviews that match the review quality here at Penguin. Even though there is no written standard for the reviews here I would like us all to consider the unwritten standard that has evolved here. Honestly I have seen Ellusionist and T-11 products get more comprehensive reviews here than they get on their own websites.

I won't tell you guys that you can't post your short reviews here. Some of them are okay, most of them would be a fine review for the product page. Indeed the purpose of Ajar's contest was to get those kind of reviews on the product page. All I'll say is that before you post a review here, please consider what this place has become. If you want a thoughtful, in-depth reviews of magic there is simply no better place in all of magic to come than the Penguin Trick Review Forum. We may not have the most trick reviews but we have the best.

Post subject: Re: Review Quality.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:16 am 
born to perform.

Well said Eostresh.

I THINK that the really issue here is that people simply don't get what the contest is about. They think that they are supposed to be posting the reviews in here in order for them to count.

Unfortunately, it's filling this sub-forum up pretty quickly with, in my opinion, sub-par reviews. Like you mentioned, they would be good reviews for the products page, but as far as a stand alone review in this forum they simply don't stand up to the standard that seems to be here.

I agree with you that the reviews here on Penguin that get posted in this forum are EXCELLENT. I have used many of them to determine whether or not I actually want to buy an effect.

I hope that this influx of short reviews will end as soon as the contest is over. I probably should have waited to post my review of Ghost-Tag by Peter Eggink, because now it's just lost in the shuffle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:25 am 
Team Penguin

Hey guys, sorry if it's gumming up the dynamic you liked before. A couple things:

1) Try giving the folks who are posting the reviews an open armed hug, welcome them to the forum, and let them know what the standards are here. We're all just flightless birds reaching out to fellow humans here.. :)

2) Yes, I think that whatever change has occurred will end on Friday at 9:00pm Pacific :)

Acar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:48 am 
born to perform.

acar wrote:

1) Try giving the folks who are posting the reviews an open armed hug, welcome them to the forum, and let them know what the standards are here. We're all just flightless birds reaching out to fellow humans here.. :)

I agree with that. It was difficult to make that post without sounding like an elitist and a jerk. Most people's first reviews are not much different than what we have been seeing. Then someone nudges them in the direction of the sticky and highlights a few Akirafist reviews and they start turning out some excellent reviews. The only problem is we have been getting shot gunned with these lately and before we get a chance to nudge someone in the right direction we have 10 reviews that just buried a well thought out, excellent review that was generating a lot of discussion.

So welcome to all new comers. Lets try to keep this forum special shall we. Thanks,

BTW: Akirafist where have you been?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:14 am 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:

Been wondering the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 am 
born to perform.

Gimpdiggity wrote:
eostresh wrote:

I started playing WoW again. :lol:

What a time consuming game! I still browse the boards 4-5 times a day, and read all the new posts. But haven't seen much come out that was worth buying lately, a lot of filler stuff or tricks outside my usual performance venues. Did purchase 3 new things though (plus got a free GUM copy), and will review soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:43 am 
born to perform.

akirafist wrote:
Gimpdiggity wrote:
eostresh wrote:

What a time consuming game! I still browse the boards 4-5 times a day, and read all the new posts. But haven't seen much come out that was worth buying lately, a lot of filler stuff or tricks outside my usual performance venues. Did purchase 3 new things though (plus got a free GUM copy), and will review soon.

Akira we missed you! I was starting to think you left us haha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:34 am 
Team Penguin

akirafist wrote:
Gimpdiggity wrote:
eostresh wrote:

Man, that's... not... good.

I was able to skip the WoW loop; can happily say I have never waisted my time on that game. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:51 am 
born to perform.

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
akirafist wrote:
Gimpdiggity wrote:

Akira we missed you! I was starting to think you left us haha

Agreed. Happy to know you're still around!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:49 pm 
Penguin

i'm both bumping and commenting:

i highly agree that the reviews have taken a steady decline in quality, and it kinda bums me out. i personally have refrained from writing a review simply because i suck at it. but i do love reading a well-thought out review.