View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: In Use and usable
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 am 
born to perform.

I have bought a lot of stuff from Penguin magic over the years. And I have a lot more than what I have bought at Penguin (mostly from Elmwood and the Magic convention I visit) In the recent past my orders from Penguin have slowed as has most of my magic purchasing. I have 2 children that need food and diapers as opposed to me feeding my magic habit. I have worked a restaurant in the past but am currently working strolling gigs when I am available with a full time job and 2 kids. Recently, My wife and I went on a mission to clean up my magic stuff and try to figure out what I use and don't use. My magic club is putting on a show in October and I will be Mc'ing and after that my wife and I plan on producing a small dinner show starring myself at a restaurant one or two times a month. I was thinking, in order to do something constructive, that I would review the items I have bought from Penguin over the years and whether I use them or not.

I copy and pasted mypenguinmagic list and made some cuts of some things (like my gift certificates and fanning powder). (for some reason there are some items missing from the list that I have bought here)

I will be hitting these slowly so if there is something on this list you would like to see a review of please let me know and I will try to do the requests first. (missing numbers means I deleted it)

1    22 Blows to the Head by Jay Sankey
2    Bicycle Thief with Aaron Fisher
3    Bisection by Andrew Mayne
4    Born to Perform Card Magic with Oz Pearlman
5    Brain Washer by Alvo Stockman
6    Buddha Okito Box
7    Colorful Cups and Balls
8    Dishonest Abe by Gregory Wilson
9    Emerge Triumphant by Oz Pearlman
10    False Riffle Shuffle
12    Fish Sandwich by Oz Pearlman
14    Go Pro with Tom Krzystof: Tables, Cases and Gear (Volumes 1 and 2)
15    Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader
16    Healed and Sealed Soda (David Blaine) by Anders Moden
17    Houdini on Magic by Harry Houdini
18    Jay Sankey's No Card Tricks!
19    Jiggernaut w/ CD video instructions
20    Jokers Wild
22    Leaving Home by Jay Sankey (Trick Only)
23    Little Fishy by Diamond Jim Tyler
24    Long Distance Spinner
25    Loops by Yigal Mesika
26    Magic Square with Luke Jermay
27    Mark Jenest's Miracles While-U-Wait
28    Max Maven's Videomind Volumes 1-3
29    Mental Photography Deck (Bicycle)
31    MML 1.0 by Alvo Stockman
32    Money Magic (World's Greatest Magic)
33    On the Loose! with Bill Malone Set - DVD
34    On the Spot with Gregory Wilson
35    Painter's Nightmare by Luke Dancy
36    Pen is Mightier by Jay Sankey
37    Pieces of Strange to Unleash the Moment: The Art of Astonishment Video by Paul Harris
38    Poetry Reading by Alvo Stockman
39    Psychokinetic Touches by Banachek
40    Pyro Perception - The FIRE Blister by Brent Walske
41    Quantum Bandits (AKA Crazy Man's Handcuffs)
43    Royale with Cheese by Luke Dancy
44    School of HardKnocks starring Rodney Reyes
45    Sly Silks (INSTANT DOWNLOAD + SILKS)
46    Snap Change
47    Starry Eyed Surprise II by Oz Pearlman
48    Sterling Hopping Halves
49    Sterling Scotch and Soda
50    Sticky Situation
51    Supersonic by Jay Sankey
52    Tabary Rope Magic - Volumes 1 and 2
53    Table Hopping Cups and Balls with Carl Andrews
54    The Complete Introduction to Coin Magic Starring Michael Ammar - DVD
55    The House (aka "No Strings Attached") by Ray Cooper
56    The MagiCard by Mark Jenest
57    The One Way Force Deck
58    The One-handed Top Palm with Luke Jermay
59    The Special Assortment Deck
60    The Stealth Pen (AKA The Street Pen Thru Dollar)
61    The Vanishing Bandanna - Performed By David Copperfield
62    The Web by Jim Pace - Performed by Lance Burton
63    The Xpert by Neil Tobin
64    Vanishing Handkerchief
65    Visu-Antics
66    Wizard School with Andrew Mayne
67    Yigal Mesika's Animated Miracles Book
68    Zip, Snap, and Inversion Somersault by Brian Tudor

Post subject: Re: In Use and usable
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

Adammcd wrote:
64 Vanishing Handkerchief

which version is this? i heard there's a deluxe version

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S9916

I'll be interested to know your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

Hey I'd like to know a bit about Bicycle thief. I've got most of Fishers stuff but never got that one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 pm 
Team Penguin

Supersonic by Jay Sankey????

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:06 pm 
born to perform.

girspiggy wrote:
Supersonic by Jay Sankey????

I was wondering about what that was as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 am 
born to perform.

64. Vanishing Handkerchief

Sorry to disppoint but the vanishing Handkerchief is either because I bought a silk silm streamer, mini bledo using a TT or a regular Vernet TT.

I have bought several versions of TT over the years. I used to use a larger size but have since went to the regular. The vernets are well made and built to last. That being said they crack and chip and all sorts of things after long-term use. I have one in my pocket everyday. Everyday! I also have a terrible tendency to leave them in the pocket at washing time. They wash fine if the spin cycle doesn't beat them up, however, they do not do well in the dryer. I have tried multiple times to boil water and dip them in to reshape them but then they just look like they have been exposed to nuclear waste.

My main effect using a TT is a vanishing handkerchief. I use the long TT streamers that are rainbow in color. I have bought about 8. They do not last as long as the TT do (when I don't put them in the dryer. They have a tendency to fray and shrink and require ironing and starch to get any life out of them.

The effect I use is from the Klutz book of magic and I have been doing said effect since I was about 12 when I "borrowed" said book from my brother. This effect is killer and there is no rational explanation. You can also rule out a few people familiar with the TT by using a few subtelties. I also use the TT for Bill switches. In particular I like Jay Sankeys Strange and Stranger from No Card Tricks. When I am out and about I use the TT for Richard Osterlind's Sweet and Low or I use it for a salt pour or sugar disappearance.

These effects are best suited for a hard TT and not a soft. However, they are all possible with either and I in fact used the soft for many years as that is what came with the Klutz book. I highly recommend TT work for the stage performer, close up and Parlor. Though, if you work stage and parlor there are items that may work better to use larger handkerchiefs (such as a die tube and the palmo) But with the Streamer it can be seen from a good distance away. I do not recommend a TT to do a bill switch on stage where the Bill switch is the main effect. Clearly in the context of a routine such as a Bill in Lemon a TT should work fine.

Mini Blendo was a little routine I found in a Steve Dacri Video I have. four small scarves are shown to be separate and then with a wave of the hand they are shown as one solid scarf. It's very nice. It is not easily repeated so it would do well in a stand-up set or a close up show but is not as great for walkaround situations. I would say That I am new to this so there may be a way to make it repeatable.

Links:
Mini Blendo I have:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S7248
Jay Sankey No Card Tricks
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=684
Richard Osterlind (Sweet and Low)
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S6153
TT
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=116
Streamer I use!
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S2530

TT and Streamer are Highly recommended!

Adam

PS~ Some of the reviews will take this form but when I do DVD's or more individualized effects I will use a different method. Let me know if this is ok. And I will try to answer any questions!

Let me know what sections would be good to post on the product pages I am at a loss on this...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:17 pm 
born to perform.

2. Bicycle Thief by Aaron Fisher (on Purchase order from 8/18/2003)

This DVD and Gimmick combo set is excellent. The moves and the thinking are ingenious and with the right amount of attitude and presentation you can get not just 1 ahead but closer to 2 ahead. That being said I do not use this effect. In fact I sold it and the gimmick a few years back. Shortly after receiving this effect I learned a card to pocket using sleights. I liked the sleights better. I want to make surte that I am perfectly clear on this. There is nothing wrong with this effect. It is really nice. It is fair, simple and fun to do. You need a table. This was a problem for me as I could not perform it anytime anywhere (A/A). A/A is NOT a prerequisite for me, however, if there are other methods that accomplish the same effect it might put said effect up a few notches. Again even with that you need a small performing surface for this effect so it is easy to find space for.

The gimmick is easy to use and when you see it you should easily see how it fits into the routine. The DVD is produced well enough. I am not all about slickness and over production so as long as I can see and hear I am not concerned about the overall video production. Aaron for his part explains the ins and outs of the effect and does a nice job doing so. This is a one trick pony DVD so if you are looking for extra content after Bicycle Thief it's not there.

The overall effect is great, the DVD is well produced and everything is taught well. If you are not doing a card to pocket this is a great way to start. This effect is structured very well and lends itself to some interesting presentational ideas. I don't own it any more and never used it in the real world, again due to finding other methods of the same effect.

Bicycle Thief:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=463

I hope you found this review helpful,

Adam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:59 pm 
born to perform.

Adammcd wrote:
2. Bicycle Thief by Aaron Fisher (on Purchase order from 8/18/2003)

This DVD and Gimmick combo set is excellent. The moves and the thinking are ingenious and with the right amount of attitude and presentation you can get not just 1 ahead but closer to 2 ahead. That being said I do not use this effect. In fact I sold it and the gimmick a few years back. Shortly after receiving this effect I learned a card to pocket using sleights. I liked the sleights better. I want to make surte that I am perfectly clear on this. There is nothing wrong with this effect. It is really nice. It is fair, simple and fun to do. You need a table. This was a problem for me as I could not perform it anytime anywhere (A/A). A/A is NOT a prerequisite for me, however, if there are other methods that accomplish the same effect it might put said effect up a few notches. Again even with that you need a small performing surface for this effect so it is easy to find space for.

The gimmick is easy to use and when you see it you should easily see how it fits into the routine. The DVD is produced well enough. I am not all about slickness and over production so as long as I can see and hear I am not concerned about the overall video production. Aaron for his part explains the ins and outs of the effect and does a nice job doing so. This is a one trick pony DVD so if you are looking for extra content after Bicycle Thief it's not there.

The overall effect is great, the DVD is well produced and everything is taught well. If you are not doing a card to pocket this is a great way to start. This effect is structured very well and lends itself to some interesting presentational ideas. I don't own it any more and never used it in the real world, again due to finding other methods of the same effect.

Bicycle Thief:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=463

Adam

Thanks for responding! Well I'll agree with you. I do card to pockets and wallets just fine with sleight of hand so I'll leave this be. I'm sure it is a good product but probably not for me. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 pm 
born to perform.

OOPS!!! I was meant to say the vanishing bandana. Which one do you have? the normal or the deluxe version?

thanks for the review of the vanishing hanky though, very concise!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:48 pm 
born to perform.

By the way, I think this is a great idea. Just post a list and do reviews on request. Very helpful!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 am 
born to perform.

Jay Sankey
# 36 Pen is Mightier
and
# 51 Supersonic
(Purchased sometime in 2004)

These two effects are no longer available through Penguin Magic. They were promotional items available from Jay when he had some kind of exclusivity deal through Penguin. I was fortunate enough at sometime in '04 or '05 to download all my penguin Videos and put them on to DVD. (NO I WILL NOT SHARE THEM!). The items were available if you bought certain items from Jay's store at Penguin. They were available as Instant Downloads.

Pen is Mightier (# 36)

The effect is basically a pen cap not previously there becomes permanently affixed to the pen.
I do not perform this at all, I have never made the gimmick and this did not interest me at all. It is more of a stunt/Gag. The presentation supplied by the very talented Mr. Sankey revolves around a heckler. I am sure that there is value in this if you like to merely fool people but it does not, for me, contain much magical value. For this reason I found this effect to be a shelf sitter. The teaching and the production of this effect is very old school penguin Instant Download. There is nothing wrong with it and Jay does teach the minor points well. Maybe someday I will look at it and think of something fun to do with it, for now though it's not great.

Supersonic # 51

This effect is a sandwich effect. It is expertly routined and well thought out. It does require a gimmick but the gimmick is easily obtainable, very easily obtainable. So much so that I can do this effect A/A because I keep said Gimmick in my pack at ALL times for this effect. Sandwich effects are a dime a dozen and this one is no different in concept and moves. The routine in and of itself is a typical sandwich routine and it would be hard for a spectator to differentiate this routine from other sandwich effects. That being said Supersonic is strong and fast. There is a wonderfully deceptive sleight taught on top of the typical sandwich load which facilitates the effect. To tip the sleight would tip the method. Jay does a nice job teaching the effect and explaining the ins and outs. The thing I love most about Supersonic is its construction. It is a full routine taught well and given tips on how to perform this virtually impromptu and the spectaor can choose the cards that act as the sandwich and they are again given the choice as to which card is found as the meat of the sandwich.

Both these effects some up my feelings with Jay Sankey's material; Hit or miss. A lot of times I can appreciate something for what it is and give reasons why it's great even if I don't use it (i.e. see Aaron Fishers Bicycle Thief review) But with Jay I love it or hate it. I have a lot of his material and for a while I thought that could be it, but I also have a lot of material from Michael Ammar, Greg Wilson, Aldo Colombini and Bill Malone, but I do not feel so polarized with their material as I do with Jays...

Adam

PS ~ if anyone still has these I would Love to get your comments on them...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:34 pm 
born to perform.

The Vanishing Bandanna
# 61

The magician is handed a trick in a box. Opening the contents the magician gets a tape(CD) and a Scarf. He puts the tape in and hilarity ensues as the tape requires a bandana and all the magician has is a banana. The bandana (banana) disappears eventually but the physical comedy far surpasses the vanish.

Unfortunatley, This is not the new one. In fact this is the first version. I have the tape. Yes Cassette Tape. I do not perform this any longer as I do not own and it is currently hard to find tape players in places I perform. However, I soon as I am able I plan on getting this version put onto CD. The version I have is different from the person on the CD and is also different from the new version with the appearing banana.

This is a terrific effect. Again this comes to you as a full routine, beginning to end and includes everything you need to perform this (almost). So I would say there is very little you can do with the presentation. Yes you can have the box delivered in different ways and you can make faces and go overboard with things but short of making a new recording for yourself there is very little you can do. Kids love this effect. There is often discussion on whether children get the implied funny that the magician has mistaken a banana for a bandana. This complaint is hogwash. While there could be added humor if the child gets the mistake the children LOVE the fact that you are folding and waving a banana. This effect is a great exercise in acting and gives the performer the opportunity to overplay something. The byplay with the audience in my version is wonderful.

For the price I recommend anyone to pick this up. It can easily be thrown into any type of general magic show. If you are a silent act or one that presents as serious this may not be for you. You do need to practice and it is way better for the routine if you know what's coming next by familiarity. But, if you are in a situation where you have a show and there are more kids or they ask for a effect or two for the children this can be quick to go in the program without a lot of effort on your part.

The props I recieved were well made and I still have the delivery box with the Acme sticker on the front. This is a messy trick. Very messy. It does not come with a towel you will need it. Also the Devils' Hank I recieved does NOT have an insert. I recommend that you use a small plastic baggy to keep the mess contained in the Hank once you disappear the ball of banana skin and mush. The insert can be thrown away and the hank can be easily cleaned. If you forget to wash the Hank without said insert you will be dealing with moldy dried banana and all I have to say that is eww.

For kids/family and just in case stage and parlor shows I cannot recommend this effect enough!

My Version sans CD
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S2279

Hope you found this review Helpful,

Adam

PS ~ the new version comes with a box that can be emptied, shown empty then the magish at the end can pull the Banana out of the box. A friend at the club (Greensburg 158) showed us this new feature and it is very nice and worth a rebuy perhaps, though, I would like to stick to my recording which I feel is better.

Last edited by Adammcd on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:40 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the review!!! Its been on my wishlist for ages!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm 
born to perform.

22 Blows to the Head
Jay Sankey (DVD)

This is great mental magic. A lot of it is not as sneaky as a more pure mentalism, though, some of it could be. The effects in here are good and well taught by an ingenious thinker. If you are the type of person that gets annoyed by Jay and his style, this is no different and you will be annoyed. If you let this limit you from Jay's material then you would be missing out on some very clever thinking. This was my second ever Jay Sankey video. The look and the feel are OK. I much prefer more live demonstrations with people than I do Jay being the magician and the spectator. This is a problem I have with most of Jay's DVD's and I can get over that pretty quickly based on the material. I only perform about 4 items as routined by Jay of the 22 effects given. I also learned paperclipped from this DVD which is killer as well. I have not watched this video in some time. I will go over the routines and effects that I have used. Like most of the other reviews so far I do appreciate the thinking and the effects that are given and just because I don't use them does mean that they aren't good, it just means I scanned over them because I have something like them, i didn't like it or it has a sleight/working that is not good for me.

Greed and Homicide

use the same concept which is very clever. I went with Homicide as it is a little wierder and more my style, though that's not necissarily true either because in performance Greed would be more appropriate for me. Basically the spec picks out and punches a whole in 4 of 5 envelopes. The one he does not punch has a picture of a stick figure inside. the others do not. Presentationally you can prove that the person does not have a propensity for harm. I do this effect for friends and have performed it at the club several times. It is really fun and is interesting as it is a little different.

Memory Lapse

is clever indeed. It uses a widely used principle for business cards. I use this regularly in my act. I do not sell it as much as a mentalism thing as I do a memory test. Audience management is a great skill for this effect as you can really affect a person negatively if you don't choose the right spectator or you present it in an argumentative way. The effect is the spectator looks at a series of items drawn onto a business card. Once he is comfortable with remembering them he signs off on the card and the card is given to his friends. After a short beat and the magicians magical gesture he states all the items aloud. But he leaves one out, though he'll swear he remembered. When he sees the card he will see the one he has forgotten. Again this is great thinking on a known principle. I like it a lot.

Mercurial Prediction

A freely chosen card is named from a blue deck. There is a red prediction on a paperclip. The card on the paperclip matches the card named. This is Jay's paperclipped. It is a great effect and worth the price of the DVD. I do not use this effect as it stands but I use the principle of paperclipped and Jay's full view switch. Brilliant thinking. There are better sources for paperclipped if you are not familiar with a lot of magic and this is early on but, if you have been in a while and get some concepts the Jay's teaching of this is just as good as any other source. Nice work on this one Jay. Awesome effect.

Mute

is a great effect. I found all the items needed and the sleight is so easy and deceptive that this effect has been a worker for me for quite some time. The idea is you show Jingle bells that don't jingle, well except for the one that the spectator picks up. Again this one is wierd but the impact on the spectator is great. It uses strange props, but the props are liken to rubber bands in that they are already magical in a way. If you have this DVD and you haven't tried this you should, it's fun!

Laying on of Hands

is another effect that I loved. It is really strong and the principal behind is so simple. This effect kills and works well with the Anytime/Anywhere concept. You can do this with a borrowed deck or SDIU (shuffled deck in use). Three predictions are made; a card is thought of, a card is selected and cards are predicted while the magi holds the pack. More of Jay's brilliant thinking but this routine is routined so well it is hard to beat in tough situations. This is hands down the effect I use the most from this DVD.

Shuffle cut deal

is another good effect. I used it for a while and dumped it when I was getting rid of some of my card stuff. simple and can be done impromptu as well (well preparation can be done on the fly as long as there is a card box..) The deck is shuffled by the spectator and placed in the box. The magician makes a prediction. the cards are removed and dealt fairly on to the table by the spectator. The spectator then deals the cards into three piles the cards match the prediction.

Formal affair

I thought that a spoon bend in a handkerchief would fall flat on an audience. Boy was I wrong...Dead wrong. This weekend (April 17th to be exact) I was at a local magic event and I saw a friendly acquaitance of mine perform this and it killed the lay audience. It is not the bend or the business card effect but the way the effect is routined. A picture of a spoon is displayed on a business card and a spectator initials the bowl of the spoon. A spoon is then placed into a handkerchief. the handkerchief is swung. The spoon in the handkerchief is bent the card is shown and the picture of the spoon has bent as well. Very nice and I will be working on this in the following weeks. I admit I was dismissive of this until I saw it in the real world.

Overall

This is a good DVD. There is some usable stuff and the effects are relatively simple to do. There are some that require elaborate setups and others that require gimmicks but everything is solid usable material. The filming and the sound were watchable and Jay covers a lot in a short amount of time but it's a well done video. I got a lot out of this video and I think you could to.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=786

Hope you found this review Helpful,
Adam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am 
born to perform.

Hi, I would like to know about this one ( Dishonest Abe by Gregory Wilson ) Thanks. Great reviews by the way.

Lance.