View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Psypher by Robert Smith
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:20 am 
Penguin

If the DVD teaches you how to transfer the pen gimmick from the Expo into a Sharpie, couldn't you technically just move the gimmick into another working Expo pen after the original Expo pen runs out of ink?

Great review btw! I'm sorely tempted to buy this but I honestly hate buying refills..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 am 
born to perform.

crestfallenlyric wrote:
If the DVD teaches you how to transfer the pen gimmick from the Expo into a Sharpie, couldn't you technically just move the gimmick into another working Expo pen after the original Expo pen runs out of ink?

Great review btw! I'm sorely tempted to buy this but I honestly hate buying refills..

Yes you can simply transfer it into another Expo pen. For some reason this is not taught on the DVD but was in the universal impression dvd i believe. Its pretty straight forward, but easy to stuff up and if you do you'd pretty much have to get a new pen and start again. You dont have to buy the pen pre-made, but its much easier.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:27 pm 
Penguin

duds wrote:
k2var2002 wrote:
I can't believe that he wouldn't [include the notepad method explanation]. After all, that is the method on the promo video, right?

I watched the note pad section twice to make sure and he doesn't teach it. I would call him a jerk but he's such a nice guy.

This was a glaring omission. However, he and Paper Crane Magic realized that and posted the video explanations for both the notepad use and how to do the 'Time Zone' trick on a hidden page of the PCM site. (I don't know why they just didn't include them both on the Psypher dvd). The web address and the password needed are given at the end of the Psypher dvd, just after the Time Zone segment and right before the credits (easily missed by those who don't know it's there).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:23 am 
Penguin

Mine sort of sucks. I don't get impressions through 3 pieces of notebook paper. I CANNOT do the card box method because my pen will not make the impression. Ive done everything. No love. I have had this for a month and I used it last night for the first time at a restaurant. I almost got burned and I was only using 3 pieces of a small spiral notebook. PC's customer service is not customer service at all. They wanted me to mail it all back, wait for them to fix it, mail it back to me and hope for the best. I wanted them to mail me another gimmick first. Considering I already have $50 tied up in this thing already, I didn't think that was too much to ask. Took them days to respond to my emails and when they did respond, the responses were vague and not helpful. I cannot recommend this product. Not because it is a bad product, but the service is awful. It's worth the money if you get a good gimmick, but mine is so bad that I can't even use the most basic effect as described by the DVD.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:15 pm 
born to perform.

Check your PM's, Freddy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 am 
Penguin

I am having trouble with psypher as well. It simply doesn't stand out clear enough to read. I can't see anything when doing the cardbox version... :(

-Pulling off the plastic film layer helped a bit. Also I REALLY emphasise holding the pen behind the card box and parallel to the floor! I would never do it in places with poor lighting conditions though. The risk is just too big.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:26 pm 
Penguin

Hello everyone.

I'm from Denmark and we don't use sharpies here, but people would probably not ask questions about the pen anyway. But I would like to know if it's practically possible to transfer the gimmick (whatever it is) to any pen of your choice? I don't think it would that much of a problem either way, it would just be great to know if I should run out of ink someday. Which I will eventually if this is as good as they say.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:23 pm 
born to perform.

It is transferable but not to any pen. Extra pens are available separately.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:51 pm 
Penguin

Hey Nick, I'm from Denmark too... PM me if you need any help ;)

-Widding

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 am 
Penguin

nickmadsen wrote:
Hello everyone.

I'm from Denmark and we don't use sharpies here, but people would probably not ask questions about the pen anyway. But I would like to know if it's practically possible to transfer the gimmick (whatever it is) to any pen of your choice? I don't think it would that much of a problem either way, it would just be great to know if I should run out of ink someday. Which I will eventually if this is as good as they say.

Hey, I got Psypher a month ago, and really love it. Real clean, and great effect. Your question about trasfering to a different pen.... There are instructions on how to switch from the Expo marker that came with, to any sharpie. That will last you quite a while. You can not change it to any other pen/marker though. It is your choice between expo or sharpie. You can however buy other gimmicked markers from Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/psypher.php or Paper Crane.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 am 
Penguin

This trick seems to need lots of props and refills.
Rather complicated to me

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:51 am 
Penguin

ThatsMagical wrote:
This trick seems to need lots of props and refills.
Rather complicated to me

It only needs props and refills because it sort of sucks. The ones you get are hit or miss from what I've been reading. I've had mine for months and I've used it twice. One of those was almost epic fail due to bad impression. Paper Crane was useless in resolving this matter. Mine is in my desk drawer at work collecting dust.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:59 am 
born to perform.

I used this several times successfully and until recently it never failed. I got a poor impression once and, luckily, I guessed the name correctly although my spectator picked up on my lack of confidence about the answer (a good learning experience for me). I read a tip that you should go through the "break-in" process before use. I tried this technique yesterday and it seemed to help the quality of the impression dramatically. This warm-up just takes a few seconds. Smith also gives a tip or two on leading the spectator to give a good impression.

There are no "refills" with Psypher. You should never or rarely need a replacement pen which are available for $10. If you use the pen extensively, you could run out of ink. Personally, I would think you use one pen for a very long time.

As for "lots of props," it's pretty simple. Some business cards, a note pad, deck of cards or post-it notes depending on your choice of routines. I do the business card routine so it's just a plastic business card wallet and the pen. That's it. Not complicated. Extremely easy. No sleights. Whether it kills is all in your presentation.

My one issue is the reset. It just takes seconds but I find it hard to do in public.