View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New iPhone Magic App - "101 Deck"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:25 am 
Penguin

Hey Everyone. I've put together a magic app that I'd like to tell you about

The effect: The magician hands a deck of cards to the spectator, invites them to cut the deck, then instructs them to deal the cards down on the table face up. The spectator can stop anytime and even change their mind if they wish. Once the spectator is happy with their selection, the magician points to his iPhone on the table, picks it up, and turns it on. “That’s funny that you stopped on that card, because earlier tonight I took a photo...” The magician then clearly opens the iPhone’s photo album and scrolls to the last photo added to the album. The magician taps on the thumbnail, and the enlarged photo shows the magician holding up the chosen card.

This app can be used to reveal any kind of prediction that you can take a photo of. Cards, ESP cards, items, or places (you get five "outs") The app is not entirely self working, you do need some skill with a deck of cards or whatever you choose to use, and thus I would not recommend this app for beginner magicians.

The best thing about this app is that the spectator will never know that an app was used. A lot of magic apps out there are just that, apps, and in the spectators eyes are not as amazing because anyone can go buy an app and do a lot of those tricks. But the 101 Deck app is hidden, and you end clean. At the end of the trick, the photo the spectator is viewing is a real photo in your real photo library, so this means that the spectator can handle the device. You can perform the trick surrounded with the phone face up, and in view, the entire time. No suspicious tapping or hiding of the screen.

At $9.99 I realize that this app is more expensive than most, however I believe that most of the good magic apps out there are way underpriced, plus you'd easily spend 10 bucks at your local magic shop for a good trick. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about what you can/can't do with the app. Any feedback or comments are welcome, I hope you enjoy it!

Link to iTunes and more information: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 09927&mt=8

James Mattox

Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2K4M5pnKY

Post subject: Re: New iPhone Magic App - "101 Deck"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:19 pm 
born to perform.

Just curious if you know of any good sources to GET a 101 deck.

I am fairly certain I know exactly what it is, but I don't really feel like taking the time to actually MAKE one. If I could buy one, that would work out quite a bit better for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:41 pm 
born to perform.

Alright, I read the info on your website and I saw that you have a How-To on how to make the 101 Deck.

I bought the App, and I was correct on what the 101 deck was. I still want to try and find one to buy, because I don't want to make one...but that's besides the fact.

The App seems great!! I love the method to it, and how it actually uses the photo ablum on the iPod/iPhone. That's great stuff.

I like iPhone Magic Apps...probably because I'm just a hobbyist, but I find them interesting and I ALWAYS have my iPod Touch on me...so it's a perfect prop to use for me in my magic performances.

I like the product you've put together...good work!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:07 pm 
Penguin

Thank you very much for the feedback, I'm glad you like it.

That is a good point about the deck, I should try and dig up some sources than I can point people towards. A 101 deck is also commonly known as a 5-way forcing deck, and looking here at penguin it seems they only have decks that go up to three. However I've seen them under other names as well, such as Koran Deck, so it's possible they have it and I just cant find it

There are lots of other ways you can incorporate the app without building a 101 deck. I had a lot of fun stacking my 5 force cards on the top, cut them to the middle, then classic force or riffle force to one of them, then say, "ok lets just take a few more next to that one you picked." You then let them see the five cards "they" picked, and allow them to further narrow it down to just one. And of course it doesn't matter which one they pick, as you have an out for all five. Works great because it builds up the effect, and in the mind of the spectator they had more control over the chosen card.

Thanks again, please let me know if you have any other suggestions/problems. I'll see if i can dig up an online source for a 101 deck. As last resort, I suppose I could make them myself and sell them or include them with the app if enough people ask.

James

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:50 am 
born to perform.

Yah, I have been looking for 101 and Koran decks, and I haven't been having much luck.

I supposed I could just go and buy five decks of cards and put it together myself. Heck, after putting mine together I could use the other cards to put together a couple of more and throw them up on Ebay, seeing as they are apparently hard to find already put together.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm 
born to perform.

If its a multiple out, and u then scroll thru your photos. What does the app do? it appears that u can do the effect without the app already?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:07 am 
born to perform.

keepitbottled wrote:
If its a multiple out, and u then scroll thru your photos. What does the app do? it appears that u can do the effect without the app already?

No, you can't.

It makes it so that the ONLY photo in your album is the one of the card that they have chosen. You can literally give them the phone/ipod and have them access the photos and find the photo, and it will be their card.

They could look through every single photo you have on the device and not find the other photos...they would only see the one that matches the card that they chose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:31 am 
born to perform.

Hmm interesting. Though for 9.99 you could almost get a cheap himber wallet (or something similar or homemade) and do the trick with a real photo and probably get a bigger reaction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 am 
Penguin

That actually use to be one of my favorite tricks, using a wallet to bring out a photo. But often id get a semi-joking response of "oh I bet you have 52 photos hidden on you.". Maybe just bad presentation on my part, but using this app takes care of that problem, as the photo shows up as the last one in your camera album, and the spectator can inspect it. They can't inspect a trick wallet

Also, by using the camera in your phone, you can load the app with photos of you that day, so in your patter you would say "right before I came out I had a vision..." and the spectator can see that you are wearing the same clothes in the photo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:10 pm 
born to perform.

i dont think a spectator would really want to look at every photo you have just to check if theres duplicates. And i wouldnt let them if they wanted to cause i have ummmm some photos there i dont want people to see ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:08 am 
born to perform.

Alright, I got my 101 Deck made and got the photos loaded into the App.

I love it!!!

I had showed my wife basically how the App worked the other night, but then today I actually performed the trick for her with the 101 Deck.

Let's just say that even though she knew how the App itself worked, she had no idea how she was able to do a free cut of the deck and then pick a card at random and it would be one of the photos loaded into the App.

I really like the whole setup quite a bit. I'm still trying to work out the best sensitivity for my particular iPod Touch. It seems like it's too low, but when I move it up just a tad it seems to be too sensitive. I'm also realizing that it might be how I'm holding the iPod, so I'm working on that, as well.

Overall, though, I'm impressed. It's a well made App that works as advertised. I think it's well worth the $10 price tag, and I enjoy using it.

I also have a few extra 101 Decks now, so if anyone needs one that's already put together, shoot me a PM. I had to buy five decks to make the one for me, so I figured I might as well just go ahead and make five total decks.